“Everything excellent but Raviolis” 4 of 5 bubbles

Fortuna's Restaurant & Banquets
Ranked #60 of 289 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Buffalo, New York
“Everything excellent but Raviolis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

I have been here several times over the years and have gotten really good food. This is a very typical Italian American restaurant. For what it is, I think the food is good. It's not gourmet, its comfort food.

We started off with some stuffed banana peppers. The stuffing was really good and pepper was spicy. However, some parts of the pepper temperature wise were warm, and the other parts ice cold. Peppers need to be served piping hot and the cheese broiled. C (would have been a solid B if temp was proper)

Next course was soup. I got the special creamy roasted red pepper soup. It was excellent. I loved every bit of it. The creaminess, and the sweet yet savory flavors were spot on. That was a 10. I did try the chicken soup too, and it was really good. A

For entree I got the veal Catatore. Others got the chicken catatore, penne with vodka bolognese, chicken picata with penne pomodoro, and homemade raviolis.

My dish was very rich and tasty served with spaghetti. It had chunks of tasty braised veal that melted in your mouth. The sauce was very good. B+

I tried the vodka bolognese and it was one of the best tasting pasta dishes I have had in a while.What I liked most about this was the creaminess. Great depth and flavors. A+

I was not a fan of the way the chicken catatore was prepared. They used only chicken breasts. True chicken catatore is made with thighs and legs which have way better flavor and don't dry out. C+

I didn't try the picata but it looked good. The penne pomodoro it was served with was really good with fresh tomatoes. B+

The raviolis were a nightmare. They were handmade and looked atrocious. They seriously looked like a 3 year old made them. It would have let is slide somewhat had they not tasted like the worst ravioli in the history of the world. Just awful. The stuffing was very doughy. Not light and delicate. And the flavor almost made me gag, and that's saying a lot because I can eat almost anything. Just horrible. Whoever made them obviously had a bad night or decided to have their 3 year old play in the kitchen. Thank god I didn't order them. F-

For dessert I got the coconut cream pie. OMG! It was AMAZING!! Made in house. Seriously one of the best pieces of pie i've had in a long time. They nailed that one. A++

Overall the experience was very good. We had great service and the speed of the courses was great for a busy Saturday. Another great thing is they give you enormous proportions, and the bread is yummy. Other that the nightmare raviolis and temp of the peppers everything was great. I will be back for more bolognese and pie!!

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank SUFAN4LIFE

Mississauga, Canada
“A good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

Trying to secure reservations for a group of 40 on Black Friday in Niagara Falls, NY was nearly impossible. La Fortuna was the only place that would take us and I am glad they did. The food was great! They managed to get our orders out to us in a reasonable amount of time considering we were such a large group. Service for the most part was good. Had one waitress who really did not want to be there but all in all a good experience. Would definitely go back.

• Visited November 2011
Iowa
“Nice little place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

Our experience at Foturnas was pleasant. We were only in Niagara Falls one night and the B&B proprietor pointed us in the direction of this restaurant. Food was good and plentiful and service was great. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't more intimate, but still enjoyed the visit.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Right out of the Sopranos.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

Excellent veal. Salad dressing was outstanding. Expected Tony to walk in any second.

Grand Island, New York
“Loved the Eggplant Parm!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Each time I have been to Fortuna's, my meal and that of my family members' have been outstanding. The eggplant parm is one of the best I have ever had! The service was very good and the menu is quite extensive. For those of you who have had a bad experience, try it again. Fortuna's in in the heart of the business district and it would be sad to see another business go under in an already depressed area.

• Visited September 2011