“Best Steak and Cheese in WNY”

Viola's Submarine House
Ranked #76 of 295 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Reviewed March 10, 2011

Best Steak and Cheese in WNY. Get double meat double cheese.

Reviewed March 22, 2010

Originallly, we had hoped to visit Caffe Lola, but it was a Sunday lunchtime and it turns out that they close all day Sunday, so we had to pick an alternative as we looked to head back home.

Somewhat at random, we picked Viola's. Like most good places to eat on this trip, it looks very underwhelming from the outside and even more so from the inside. Luckily, this book was riveting, despite the covers as it turns out that they do EXCEPTIONAL subs. We weren't aware of the opening hours and just happened to arrive just as it was opening - we almost walked away as we weren't sure whether they were open at all. A couple of locals were waiting for it to open and by 12.15pm, the place was full. Not of tourists, but locals.

Based on what I heard, I chose the cheese steak with everything on it and my wife had the chicken Italiano. We had to wait about ten minutes for her sandwich, but we were warned about the delay in advance and we watched as pretty much the entire line ordered what I did. We saw them make the sandwiches and they really DO use ribeye for the steak: none of that chopped steak nonsense. It comes in seran wrap and with grease paper and we noticed the locals taking plenty of napkins, so we followed suit. It turns out they are absolutely vital.

After practically having to use a blowtorch to get at the sandwich, I took my first bite and prompted to cover my hands and a large part of my top in the oil that they use for flavouring. Despite the mess, my taste buds lit up like a Christmas tree. It was exceptional, tremendous, delectable. The steak is so succulent - though it tends to put up a fight when you're trying to take a bite and make it leave the sandwich - and the cheese complements it perfectly. I'm not sure what else they put in the sandwich (some tasty combination of seasoning, oil, lettuce and tomato, I think), but it is supremely delicious. It's almost like the sandwich has taken a particularly vigourous bath in grease, but it's definitely not grease (though you will need an epic stash of napkins). It's like it has all the taste benefits of grease but not nearly as many of the drawbacks. My wife's chicken Italiano was like a Parmesan and was similarly alluring as my sandwich, though mine was better. Ask the locals.

It seems a little expensive for the size of the sandwich, but it is so worth it. We were talking about the subs on the way back home and licking our lips at the thought of coming back up here.

The best subs I've ever had. Truly.

Reviewed February 28, 2010

The clerk at Subway in Walmart advised me to go to the "Ghetto" as opposed to Violas just across the street, said it was just better. Also advised by a friend who LOVES food to have only the Steak and cheese, just the way it comes, not to add anything.

Not where one would expect a restaurant as it is on a side street where it has been for years, very shabby neighborhood. If this bothers you, go to the Niagara Falls Bl location.

Excellent, really as promised. We split a large sub ($8.00) and it was made to order...hot,fresh and simply wonderful. I saw the meat in the case and noted it was rib eye steak sliced thinly. The very nice clerk (family owned) showed me a large side of rib eye when I asked him about the meat.

I would try something else next time, but I don't think I can get past the cheese steak sub.

No nonsense here. Cash,no cell phones ( a customer was told to turn it off or no service) and they do not toast their rolls. Hand written signs for both are posted.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook