“Excellent views that end where?”

Niagara Gorge Trail
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The poor map that is handed through a window that is promptly shut by one of the wonderfully rude park staff says easy path with moderate downhill grade, trail is one way. Granted the area had a storm the day before we arrived so there were some rough spots that they could not account for and a sign had been posted for this. We get to the end of the trail and there are steps to go up, no mention of this on the map. We get part way up the steps and written in marker I notice (I am the last one in our group since I had foot surgery a few months back so I am slow) 200 steps to the top written on the hand rail. So much for that easy trail that the map described. When we get to the top of the stairs thankfully there is a bench so we can rest however we are in a deserted parking lot in a neighborhood that does not look like you want to be in after dark. There are no signs directing you where to go from here. After reviewing the map we see that another trail starts at the end of the deserted parking lot, we head that way and do not see a trailhead, just trash and a pillow, we are now under an overpass for a freeway. We decide not to go back down the 200+ steps due to my still healing foot and walk down the sidewalk back to the Discovery Center. After being stalked by a dog for a couple blocks we made it back to a trolley stop. The views from the trail were excellent, I would recommend the trails just turn around and head back the way you came from when you get to the end.

6  Thank DogsandDragons
in 17 reviews
"woods"
"sneakers"

Reviewed July 13, 2013

The Gorge Trail scenery is beautiful and I definitely encourage its use. My plan was to pick up a map at the State Park Trail Information booth. CLOSED! It was 1:00 PM on a Saturday. So I was without a map. I studied one that was posted and then I started at the Discovery Center and hiked Trail 2 towards Devil Hole. I found the trail really poorly marked. When I got to Rainbow Bridge I was completely lost. I thought maybe there was a way under the bridge--there is. However, that is Trail 3 and once past the bridge--TRAIL CLOSED (all summer of 2013 it says). I asked for help and got back on track. I stopped for water at Whirlpool Park. I eventually found Trail 5 which is where the real adventure begins. This is great hike but beware the crappy signage between the Discovery Center and Whirlpool Park.

2  Thank Doug B
Reviewed July 8, 2013

No trip to Niagara Falls is complete until you drive or walk the Niagara Gorge Trail. It's full of informative signage, beautiful vistas, and history. The Robert Moses Parkway parallels it, so drive or walk.

1  Thank Mark T
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I love to hike from Devil's Hole to Whirlpool State Park, but be prepared for hundreds of stairs getting down to the gorge and the return trip up. Breathtaking views of the gorge and natural landscape. Fishing is allowed in the gorge as well and some excellent.

6  Thank citibandit