“Positive Reviews Misleading”

Description: Near Ramada Inn and Doubletree
New York City, New York
“Positive Reviews Misleading”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

After reading the positive reviews on this small cafe, my husband and I decided to have breakfast at Cippy's one morning. We are used to small, mom-and-pop out-of-the-way places and usually enjoy them. I ordered 2 eggs over-hard and my husband ordered the French toast, a specialty according to the menu. While my eggs were cooked fine, I never got my toast and the bacon was very fatty. My husband's French toast was soggy in the middle and definitely not the best. Our visit was mid-July during the record heat wave. There was an air conditioner running, but it was stiflingly hot inside the cafe at 9am. When it was time to pay, we realized THIS IS A CASH ONLY cafe! Cippy had added up our bill incorrectly, then corrected it with no apology. He did let us pay with US dollars (but shorted us $1 in the process). We decided not to argue about it, and so did not leave a tip. Then to our surprise, our waitress "Marie" came out into the parking lot and knocked on our car window. She wanted to know if we had left a tip. Sheepishly, we told her no and apologized. She said she just had to ask because Cippy often cheats her out of her share of the tips that people leave on the table. So we gave her $3 which she didn't want to take, but we insisted. This was a very strange experience and rather sad. I'm sure Cippy was a great cook at one time, but I think it might be time to hang up the apron. Sorry Cippy, I cannot recommend that anyone go your cafe.

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank simonelegare

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't Go!”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

After reading all of the positive reviews, we thought we would try Cippys out. We were hoping for some good food at a good value-we got neither. The menu was limited and we didn't even get what we ordered. I asked for scrambled eggs and got sunny side up. The bacon omelets my sons ordered were
overcooked and had onions in them!
My son did his best to pick them out without complaining. My husband's omelette was no
better. My other son's pancakes
were okay. The only good thing was
the bread and our friendly waitress, Marie who has probably worked
there for the 48 years it's been
open!

1 Thank fatfood
Windsor, Canada
“Nice break from Clifton Hill”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I went there for breakfast with three friends during our trip to Niagara Falls. It was a Monday morning at 8am so we had the place to ourselves and the owner cooked our meal for us. It was like having family cook for you and the owner reminded me of my pépè :)

Two of us ordered the Number 1 (2 eggs, bacon, ham, or sausage, and toast) for $4.50 and the rest got the Number 2 (2 eggs, bacon, ham, or sausage, toast, and home fries) for $5.50. Definitely cheaper than Denny's or other breakfasts places we went past. All the food was yummy and we got a basket of toast made from fresh bread (not just the 2 slices a person) and he offered to make us some more if we wanted.

We enjoyed our breakfast and the hospitality of the owner and would come back the next time we visit the Falls.

• Visited June 2011
8 Thank vistagirl123
“Every city should have a place like Cippy's!!”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Great food and value! Had breakfast here several times while in Niagara Falls. Everyone, family, staff, and customers very friendly.

7 Thank KDfromCA
St. Catharines, Canada
“it's not in NY.... it's in Canada!”
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Cippy's has been in business since 1962 and has been a local and tourist favorite. It probably has not changed since 62 and that's the way people like it.. Food is homestyle breakfast cooked by Cippy himself.....better eat your homefries or he'll ask you whats wrong with them. A typical old school diner with lots of nostalgia.

• Visited February 2011