“Great Place to Stay in Niagara!”

Wanderfalls Guesthouse & Hostel
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Great place to stay in Niagara Falls!

Pros:
- Clean
- Safe
- Comfortable
- Great hosts/owners
- Delicious pancake breakfast included :)

I stayed in a dorm with a friend of mine, and since we visited in off-season we had the room to ourselves! It would have been a little cramped with four people and their luggage (which was capacity), but was perfect for the two of us.

Carroll and Andre, the owners and hosts are great people, very friendly and helpful. We were driving up from West Point and arriving late at night. Carroll made arrangements for us to check in after-hours, and it was super easy. She greeted us in the morning and gave us a map and great tips on the attractions, while Andre made us pancakes. I would certainly stay here again, and would recommend it to anyone.

Things to note:
- There is only one bathroom with a shower, and it is shared amongst the rooms. Theres another half-bath in the hostel, but only one with a shower.
- The house is old, though the furnishings are new and in good condition. If you're looking for a hostel, this is perfect. If you're looking for a plush B&B, this probably won't be enough for you.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 12, 2013

My hostel days are well behind me but I was attending a concert at the Rapids Theatre and this hostel was within walking distance. My daughter and I stayed in the private room. The beds were comfy and clean. We didn't meet the owners (apparently they don't live there) but Nanci was there to take care of us and she was fantastic. There wasn't very much in the immediate area (which seems economically depressed - like much of Niagara Falls, NY) but it seemed safe enough. Free breakfast was basic - Nanci made some nice pancakes and coffee. We couldn't lock our room door from the outside (which I didn't like) but there was a good locker in the room to store our valuables. We drove and there is on street parking and a free parking lot across the street. Would certainly recommend for backpackers on a budget and, if I'm ever at the excellent Rapids Theatre again, I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This guesthouse was great for our purposes. My bf and I made a very last minute trip to Niagara Falls on 4th of July weekend. The only hotel rooms available cost $150+ per night and they were a bit far off from the falls. Luckily, we were able to snag 2 beds in this guesthouse last minute for $60 + tax. It was clean and comfortable, although we didn't stay inside much. Breakfast was provided, but we left beforehand. The owner was very nice and gave us maps of the town, as well as some advice for visiting the falls. Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Thankfully we only spent one evening in this lost little town.

We had such bad luck with the weather which meant we didn't spend much time by the falls, and had to fill the rest of the day wandering around a quite frankly run-down left-to-rot area.

The hostel itself is OK, no real complaints there. You get what you pay for. We had the private room and it was fine, comfortable, no noise while sleeping, no problem.

It is however further away from the falls as in the description. You need a good 20 minutes minimum to walk there.

Breakfast pancakes were nice. Andre, one of the owners, was friendly and even drove us to pick up our rental car for a small fee.

I imagine we'd have enjoyed the experience more with better weather, but luck wasn't on our side.

In the summer, seeing as you're hardly flush with other accommodation offers, this place would be decent enough to reside in for a few days, if you can handle that long in Niagara! A truly forgettable town!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wanderfalls, Owner at Wanderfalls Guesthouse & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

I understand that weather can truly impact anyone's experience anywhere. In the early spring, the weather can be "dreary." Also, none of the main summer attractions are open to divert your attention from the lousy weather if you are unfortunate enough to have it. Niagara Falls is an interesting town; no big lights, no glitz, but lots of history not to mention a wonder of the world which is always "Open" in it's natural setting. Places are often what you make of them.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stay here for a layover night, but still received very helpful comments from the owners to see the fall in night (you can't miss it)! At the first glance it may be very off from what you expected if you are expecting a starred hotel, but it is absolutely one of the best hostels I have stayed. Great atmosphere, too.

Also Andre sent me to the Amtrak station in early morning (6:30am) for only $5, far cheaper than a cab.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this guesthouse for one night in March. The owners were very friendly and helpful and gave us lots of information about the Falls. We had a private room, which was very comfortable. The pancakes for breakfast were freshly made and tasted delicious. We had a car, so we didnt have to walk, I guess it would have been a 20minutes walk to the Falls. Would definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 29, 2013

A very nice small house hostel, I was collected from the Amtrak station by Andre for a small fee of $5 which is far cheaper than a taxi, all the local services and shops were also pointed out on the drive to the hostel.
On arrival I met the other half of the duo, Carroll, also just as friendly and helpful. I was given a tour around and shown to my room, good sized lockers, very clean and comfy beds, that's all I needed. Kitchen is well equipt and everything works fine. Just a generally very cosy place to stay!

There's a supermarket just over two blocks away that has everything food wise you'll need. Andre makes brilliant pancakes In the morning and these are free, far more than you get in most hostels. There is also free coffee in the breakfast period, but tea is available all day long.

Never had any issues with the Wi-Fi, it worked without fault during my whole stay and was pretty fast.

Falls isn't far away, I don't know why people are moaning about this, they moan but aren't willing to pay to book into a hotel next to the falls, so they've only themselves to blaim! It's a 10 minute walk if that down to
Rainbow Bridge and across to the falls!

Well done Carroll and Andre! :)

• Stayed: March 2013