The Giacomo
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Comfort Inn The Pointe(Niagara Falls)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsboutique hotelart decofloor loungefree valet parkingoffice buildingtop floorsky view loungeobservation floorgated lotcorner roomcanadian sidefresh baked cookieswithin walking distancewafflesbeautiful hotelculinary institutevalet service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 23, 2010

This was the best hotel experience I have ever had. The staff were all extremely helpful, friendly and all had smiles when we pulled up. I have recommended the Giacomo to my family and friends and will personally stay there next time that I am in Niagara falls.

Thank you for making my stay a memorable one.

PS. The cookies that we received were delicious too! Keep up the great work.

Reviewed August 18, 2010

Amazing service and helpful staff from front door until front door at departure. We could not begin to say enough about the Giacome staff. Absolutely first class, and beyond. Slower pace atmosphere, yet with all the amimities. Fresh baked chocolate chip cookies delivered to your room each night was a pleasant treat. Clean, well appointed rooms are the standard, but it is the staff that makes the Giacomo the place to be. We somewhat hesitate to say this about an individual employee, but Chris and the young lady with red,curly hairare exceptional. Our thanks to the entire staff, which is way above the norm. A job well done. Excellent !!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Let me start by saying that I had a reservation for the Marriott Courtyard on the Canadian side of the Falls and cancelled it in favor of The Giacomo based on the description and photos. I was impressed that so much effort had been made to reuse this building and I admired the unique concept of including a few floors of hotel rooms in the otherwise condominium building. I had never been to Niagara Falls before and had no idea about the area. After touring the area, I do believe The Giacomo is the best place to stay on the NY side of the Falls.
Arrival was a little confusing, there is no place to park in front of the building, so you have to drive past the building and pull up to the side of the building. Signage explaining this wasn't prominent enough. Luckily, the street in front is not busy so you can take your time to figure it out. They do valet park your car in a gated lot across the street though they do not give out any sort of valet ticket. I found that odd, like I had no proof of the transaction.
Since the building is mixed use, the front desk is actually not in the lobby, it's in a room off to the side. Check in was fairly simple. But - this is one of the details of normal hotel service that was missing - nobody explained that there was a free breakfast in the morning, or that cookies would be delivered in the evening, or that there was a gym in the basement, etc. That seems like basic information to deliver especially since they are selling points. But since the desk clerk appeared to be about 16 years old, he may not yet understand the finer points of high end hospitality.
In any case, the room was nice. The bedroom was modest in size, the bathroom was superhuge, and all the fine details like real glasses, a fancy coffee maker, and bathrobes were featured. Our windows looked right into the hotel next door so we kept the curtains closed. No big deal since there was a very nicely furnished observation deck on the 19th floor that provided panaromic views of the area. The only problem with the room was the AC unit. It was ceiling mounted and loud. It woke us up several times during the night. I know this may be a small detail, but getting ice was a real challenge. The only ice maker is in the kitchen which meant you had to go "behind the scenes" to get any ice. In a hotel that otherwise looks high end, this is unacceptable. I'm paying for the facade of perfection.
This hotel only opened a little earlier this year so it's forgiveable that there are some kinks to work out. If the nightly rate had been more like $150-175, it would have made sense. At $225, I had higher expectations. It feels like someone had a great idea for a hotel, someone else did a fantastic job renovating it, and then no one told the staff how running a high end hotel works. In the 2 days we were there, we only encountered one actual adult staff member, Jeff. Considering the frequency with which we saw him, I had the feeling he was keeping the whole operation afloat. This hotel could do well to hire a few more seasoned hospitality staffers.
Bottom line: It's the best NY Niagara has to offer. If you can get a reasonable rate go for it. It's a cool building and close to everything on the NY side.

2  Thank melmo152
Reviewed August 11, 2010

The only non-cheesy, non-chain, we could find in the Falls and it was a gem! I wish these guys the best of luck.

My only caveat/warning: don't get a Platinum Suite (the BIGGEST and MOST expensive room) because it is on the SECOND floor facing the parking lot! Why?? This didn't make any sense to me.

Reviewed August 9, 2010

My 20-year-old daughter and I decided to take a roadtrip across the southern edge of Lake Ontario (the Seaway Trail), with Niagara Falls as our turn-around point. I had visited the Falls many years ago, just to peer over the edge, then on to Canada; my daughter had never seen it. We decided to take the advice of Tripadvisor readers and splurge for the relatively pricey room at the Giacomo, finding that most hotels within walking distance of the Falls are pricey. We were pleasantly impressed with the service and staff, the location, the quality of the hotel and accoutrements, and best of all - the comfort! We arrived late afternoon, checked in quickly with valet parking, and totally admired the newly renovated, but very tasteful, Art Deco furnishings. We had learned when we made our reservation that the lower six floors are the hotel, while the upper floors are private addresses. Our 4th floor room was gorgeous, but we didn't stick around to admire it, as we headed out for the visitor center to get the "Discovery Pass" to see the Maid of the Mist, the Cave of the Winds, the Aquarium, etc. (well worth the discount price and convenience of having tickets in hand, if you plan to see these attractions anyway!). The line for the boat was about an hour from start to boarding the boat, so we were exhausted, but happy!, by the time we disembarked. We weren't too wet, so we went to the Top of the Falls restaurant (another wonderful experience - see other review). Since the line for the Cave of the Winds was long (presumably because folks wanted to be there when the lights come on at night), we just traded in our tickets for the obligatory poncho and water sandals, so that we could return first thing in the morning and get right in line for the elevator, without having to first wait in the other line. We hung around to see the lights come on at the Falls, then dragged ourselves back to the Giacomo (passing by the free outdoor Hard Rock Summer Concert) to crash hard in the most comfortable bed we'd ever slept in!!! We actually first rode the elevator up to the top of the hotel to the observation lounge, where we could have hung out if we had more energy, but we did enjoy the view - one cannot see the Falls from anywhere on the American side due to the angle; however, the mist that rises up is easily visible from the Giacomo, and the cool colored lights are beautiful, especially from the "top of the Giac." The views from our room weren't too shabby either, as we were on the corner and could look out both ways from large curtained windows. We had delightful showers (a giant glassed-in shower with seat/bench and hand-held shower wand) and wrapped ourselves in the perfect bathrobes provided, and sank into the luxurious king-size bed for TV (large flatscreen with cable) until we couldn't keep our eyes open any longer. Woke up early and very reluctantly crawled out of that great bed to grab some food - the Giacomo provides a complimentary breakfast (scrambled eggs, bacon, waffles, and the usual continental fare - all fresh and tasty) in a comfortable dining room - and coffee to go, although the rooms are furnished with Kourig coffee/tea makers also. We went to the Cave of the Winds (1st in line, even at 9am when the attraction opened, since we already had our ponchos!), then checked with the hotel staff before we headed to the Aquarium, in case we didn't get back by the 11am checkout time, but they said noon was fine, which worked out perfectly for us. The Giacomo was a huge part of making our roadtrip work perfectly overall, since - even with the long wait at the Maid of the Mist, and all the walking we did to see everything, we knew we could look forward to our incredibly comfortable and pleasant room! To us, that was priceless!

• Stayed: July 2010