“Wonderfully friendly”
Review of The Giacomo

The Giacomo
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a great place to stay. Not only are the rooms lovely, the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. Especially important to me as I was a solo traveller. The car service is very useful too.Breakfast was included and it was great.

Room Tip: If you are going in winter, grab one with a fire place, it is cold
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank cuterbear

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed on the night of March 21st, 2013. We were able to see the Falls in a different way....snow and cold! This was really a great thing. I would absolutely stay at the Giacomo again. In fact, I would stay no where else. The staff was very gracious and the room was extremely nice. The bathroom was like no other I have encountered. The shower was tiled, with a seat built in, and measured about 3.5' X 6.5' with a nice wall of glass/door. VERY NICE! The observation deck was great. We were the only guests up there (benifit of cold/snowy night in Niagra) so it was very peaceful. The free breakfast the next morning was fabulous....NOTHING like your typical "free breakfast"! To the owner/operator of this place I say you have done it right! The facilties and staff are first rate. Congratulations on a job well done.

Mike
Maryville, Illinois

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mike105289
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I only spent one night at the Giacomo (in town for an audition), but would go back to Niagara just to stay there again! The NY side of Niagara Falls seems a little low-brow for such a famous destination (I'm told the Canadian side is much nicer, and what I could see across the water backs this up). The U.S. hotel options are, for the most part, barely "meh"-worthy, and searching for hotels pre-trip was frustrating because every tempting option that popped up was on the Canadian side (U.S. citizens don't need a passport to ENTER Canada, but you DO need one to cross back to the U.S.). Fortunately, Canada doesn't get ALL the glory in Niagara.... we've still got The Giacomo.

Being a combined hotel/private apartment building, The Giacomo has a "low-key luxury" ambience: the lobby is large enough to welcome, but small enough to feel like home (vs. a public, high-traffic space). The lounge spaces are intimate - tucked around corners and scaled for conversation - and the decor is contemporary/plush (think "Pottery Barn catalog"). There's a cozy little bar/lounge off to one side, and a brighter, more cafe-style breakfast room on the other (there is no full restaurant, but the free breakfast was GREAT: eggs, meat, potatoes, fresh fruit salads, cold-cut trays, Belgian waffles, cereals, etc.)

On the top floor - which is key-card access via one of the elevators - there's another private lounge - basically a living room, with a wetbar, flatscreen TV, computer and single bathroom - for the hotel guests, with views on all sides (you can't see the falls directly, but there's a lovely view of the Niagara rapids right at your feet, with the mist rising from Horseshoe around the bend). You DO have to climb two flights of narrow concrete stairs to reach the lounge, once you're off the elevator on the 18th floor - I didn't have a problem with this, but someone might. It's a little like heading up to the attic.

As for the ROOM - gorgeous! I stayed in one of the King rooms and had a Jacuzzi tub so big and deep that I kept floating away from the edge, until I folded one of the towels and put it underneath me. Separate shower, also nice and spacious with a wide ledge for all your shower stuff (my shower didn't have the bench - think you get either the super-spa shower OR the Olympic swimming tub, not both - no complaints here). Their shampoo smelled amazing - wish I could buy a full-size bottle of it. Unusually comfy bed for a hotel, plenty of pillows, nice-sized closet and a mini-fridge with freezer-compartment, tucked discreetly into the console beneath the flatscreen. I was only in town for one night, so basically I just bathed and slept, but the room would've been fine for a longer stay. My room must have been adjoinable to the next room, as there was another, dead-bolted door next to the closet.

The only negatives (none of these bothered me much, they're just FYI's):

- would've appreciated an outlet next to the bed; anything that plugged in was behind the headboard somewhere, and I didn't feel like rooting around for it. The closest one was where the TV/fridge etc. was plugged in, so you'd have to unplug something to use it.

- There is no ice/vending for each floor - again, you're not staying at a Holiday Inn and this is one of the ways it DOESN'T feel like a hotel, for better or worse. The ice machine is down a back hallway from the lobby; you can follow the signs from there to the fitness room, down another windy hallway and stairs. It's pretty quiet and empty back there, so maybe a LITTLE creepy, if you've been watching too many Law & Order reruns.

- No ATM machine, but I was very politely directed to the Quality Inn, next door: ATM in the lobby.

- I think the shower had some sort of adjustable "spa showerhead" feature but the selector-switch was so tight that it seemed about to snap off, so I gave up. DID like that both shower and tub had a hand-shower, which was handy for rinsing all the suds and bath-salts residue down the drain.

SERVICE SHOUT-OUT: We'd originally booked two jacuzzi suites; when we checked in, we learned they were on different floors. This was only a MINOR inconvenience - I had an AM event that would tie me up past checkout, and planned to leave my things in the other room before heading out - but the minute we expressed surprise, even though we assured them it would be fine, the second room was upgraded to a jaccuzi/fireplace suite on the same floor.

UPSHOT: DEFINITELY recommend! Again, the NY side of Niagara seems a bit worse for wear: the local-favorite restaurant we tried was unimpressive (I've had that steak at Denny's for a lot less money) and the overall look of the town was "yesterday's big deal"....but the REASON it was a big deal is the Niagara Falls themselves, and those are STILL worth seeing in person. Get on the boat, get soaked, wring out your souvenir poncho, then dry off and warm up at The Giacomo....great way to see a deservedly famous site. :)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Pokey M
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a great little gem in Niagara Falls. The hotel was renovated a couple years ago at the most. Actually, it was restored to its beautiful, 30s splendour and updated where it made sense.
Rooms go up to the 6th floor (above that it is a residential building) and are indeed good size with way bigger than average bathrooms. The decor matches the old 30s design nicely.
Staff is indeed great and always there to help.

Room Tip: 5th or 6th floor in a corner if possible.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TSMVP
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed two nights and were very pleased with the quality and value of the hotel. Amenities offered were top notch ... we felt like very valued guests ... the room was large, clean and comfortable ... the bed was luxurious ... the staff were very helpful and accommodating ... loved the breakfast each morning... the exercise room was nice ... it is very close to attractions at the Falls and casino ... just a short walk away ... Ashleigh was very helpful at checkout and made sure a credit for AAA membership was discounted ... would highly recommend this special place ...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank C Roy C
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I had a lovely time staying at the very modern style decorated Giacomo Hotel. We were given a free upgrade to have a Jacuzzi/fireplace room. Only problems were that the Keurig coffee maker and the fireplace did not work. The staff were very attentive and quickly replaced our Keurig with another. While the fireplace could not be repaired during our stay, our bill was adjusted to make up for the difference. But really how much can a person complain when the "upgrade" was of no charge in the first place? The jacuzzi was roomy enough for two (not cramped) and very relaxing. The bed was super comfortable and the room was very clean. We visited the Skyview lounge (19th floor) on 2 occasions to enjoy the view of both the view of Niagara Falls, NY and the Canadian skyline. Our first night, the staff even surprised us with 2 warm chocolate chip cookies brought to our room (a subtle, but memorable touch). The breakfast included with our stay was so yummy with a variety of items to choose from such as scrambled eggs, fresh waffles, yogurt, and much more. My boyfriend and I don't drink, so did not take advantage of the lounge area, but I thoroughly enjoyed each part of the hotel that I did experience. I found myself at times just looking at the decor and enjoying its uniqueness. Loved it, wish I could visit the Giacomo on a regular basis.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzy S
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Location on the US side of the falls is very very average. But it's a short walk to the falls and the bridge to walk over to Canada, where the views are spectacular. Hotel was clean and inviting, good value.

• Stayed: April 2013