“Science artifact masterpieces!”
Review of Niagara Science Museum - CLOSED

Niagara Science Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Niagara Science Museum is located in the heart of, once vibrant, North end industrial area of Niagara Fall.
Reviewed October 5, 2013

(Visited 21 Sept 2013)
This science museum is probably unparalleled with any science museum in the world. The curator takes the time to spend with each visitor, understanding their interest in science and focusing in on it. He is very interactive. He has acquired devices such rarities as an transmission electron microscope and scanning electronic microscope. He can demonstrate Tesla's free energy concepts and discuss the aspects concerning the history. If you turn around you will see solar cell experiments and multiple static electricity generators. Conspicuously located on one of the workbenches was a newspaper that had a headline that high schools would start visiting. I can think of no better place to visit for a science major or anyone interested in science than this museum. My only regret is that I haven't had the time to review this fantastic find earlier.
Elena & Rob

7  Thank Rob M
There are newer reviews for Niagara Science Museum

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I'm a science major, and this museum was fascinating, there's so much history that you wouldn't think to put in a museum. This guy definitely knows what he's talking about too; I think he could talk about anything in that place for hours. It's also not a conventional, scripted museum experience where the guides just memorize facts, it's real.

9  Thank Robbie M
Nicholas111, Manager at Niagara Science Museum, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

I remember this visit well. That day, families came in one after another; always a kid or two. I was in the middle of a gout attack and hurting like hell. But as always happens to me when I have a receptive audience, I forgot about pain and start preaching science. I realized that the young lady is a scientist, educated at the same university where I got my “master degree in physics” almost fifty years ago, only at the end of the tour and, by then, it was too late to change the dialog. I hope they will visit again.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Nick gave my wife and I a very interesting and informative tour of the museum which has an eclectic mixture of exhibits. Most exhibits are of equipment that is preserved just as it was used in operation rather than buffed and polished so it seems closer to reality than a conventional museum. I'm a mechanical engineer so I'll admit that some of Nick's explanation of electrical devices was well over my head but he is a patient teacher. This museum is obviously a labor of love and Nick is an extremely dedicated collector of scientific devices - and he knows how every one of them works!

3  Thank EDWIN J
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Admittedly, I'm a science geek but both my wife and me really enjoyed our visit, mostly because the museum's founder/director/guide, Nick, took lots of time and even met us outside official opening hours to show us the museum.
It's not the sort of museum where you walk around and read lots of stuff (in fact, there's hardly any written information) but everything on display becomes "alive" through Nick's explanations and enthusiasm. Though it's small, you'll probably need 60-90 minutes to see/hear everything.
The museum is not walking distance from downtown, but it is well worth the ride if you have any interest in science and scientific instruments whatsoever. You also get to touch almost everything.

3  Thank igw21
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Imagine you have a favorite Uncle who happens to be a brilliant physicist. Now imagine one day he shows you his private collection of cool scientific equipment stashed in his basement! I promise… you’ve never been to a museum like this! If you are looking for a typical, sterile, run-of-the-mill museum experience, then this is not the place for you.

When I first met the proprietor, my first thought was; NO WAY! Its Einstein come back to life! Mr. Dalacu is extremely personable and his accent adds to his charisma. His museum collection is obviously a labor of love and by the time our visit was over I wished he was my long lost uncle.

I have two teenaged boys. After reading the reviews and checking out the web site (niagarasciencemuseum.org) I felt sure this museum would keep their interest. When we arrived at the museum I was unsure we were in the right place. The front of the museum sits at the back of a grass lot behind a locked gate. No sign of a parking lot. No other cars. We drove around back and found another locked gate. We almost drove off. Am I glad we didn’t! From the car I phoned the museum and Mr. Dalacu answered. He explained he was on his way. In the meantime he had his grounds keeper open the gate to let us in.

When Mr. Dalacu arrived he gave us a personal tour of the many rooms loaded with early 20th century medical, scientific and experimental equipment. There were several “hands on” experiments that we took part in. During the tour he would ask questions to keep us all engaged. He is passionate about physics and has a sincere desire to inspire others.

We walked through all the rooms, some of which you could tell were just for storage. It added to the mystique of the place. We found an entire experimental solar car stashed in one room! And in one corner we discovered newspaper articles posted about Mr. Dalacu and his very successful career.

I have traveled extensively but never have I been made to feel so welcome. The whole museum is like a secret storage place for all things scientific. We were so fortunate to have waited till it opened. Make sure you call in advance. There is a suggested $10 donation per family. It was a great experience. I only wish I lived close enough to volunteer my time.

7  Thank M S
Nicholas111, Manager at Niagara Science Museum, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

This is the most humbling review we ever got. I should be resisting the good feeling, but I will not. You made my day sir!
Sincerely, Nick