“We RAPIDLY fell in love with this mansion on the rapids!”
Review of Hillcrest Inn

and 1 more site!
Hillcrest Inn
Ranked #1 of 13 Niagara Falls B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“We RAPIDLY fell in love with this mansion on the rapids!”
Reviewed June 5, 2010

My brother gave me a stern warning when he heard I was going to visit Niagara Falls… “Stayyyy on the Canadian siiiiiidddde!” I had every intention of following his advice until I happened upon the reviews for the Hillcrest Inn in Niagara Falls, New York, U.S.A.

I love a good B&B and the Hillcrest Inn had such glowing reviews! Before I knew it, my husband and I threw caution to the wind and booked our rooms!

Now, mind you; driving into the town of Niagara Falls was a bit daunting and for a moment I felt a wave of panic as my brother’s warning suddenly made more sense… some of the Niagara Falls, NY neighborhoods are not exactly “safe” looking… but Hillcrest Inn is on the river’s edge and very close to the tourist center and THAT area is a nice area.

From the moment we arrived at the Hillcrest Inn Cassidy and her family made us feel at home immediately! Cassidy could not do enough for us! My husband and I had brought along my elderly mother and she too was immediately charmed by the Hillcrest Inn and our hosts… especially Cassidy’s adorable daughter!

Hillcrest is a beautiful building and it is most tastefully decorated! Both of our rooms were immaculate, my husband and I had the Master Suite and my mother had the English Room.

The Master Suite had a wonderful view of the rapids; the room is very large with a very large changing room and then a large bathroom as part of the suite. Our room was stocked with anything we could want or need… from fruit, chocolates and water to bubble bath and extra toothbrushes! Nothing was overlooked! Our bed was very comfortable. (Extra Note: Look outside you side window at the house next door… evidently the neighbors were eccentric and put a mannequin head in the window to guard off evil ghosts… when we first saw it, it shocked us and then once explained to us, it amused us no end)!

The English Room overlooked the back garden. It was a smaller, but very comfortable room complete with it’s own bathroom and shower. It is enough room for two, but perfect for one person. Again, there was anything you could think of supplied for you to make your stay comfortable.

Food… Cassidy is an incredible cook. Breakfast at the Hillcrest Inn is an excellent experience. My husband and I STILL talk about it! My mother doesn’t really like to eat anymore and getting calories into her is a struggle most times. The combination of Cassidy’s gentle way and enticing food had my mother finishing most of her plate – to us she is a miracle worker! Oh yes, she bakes snacks for you to take on your day trips as well… we were spoiled!

The Hillcrest Inn is a short walk to anywhere you would like to go in Niagara Falls, New York side. It is also a most doable hike over to the Canadian side (don’t forget your passport… also there is a pedestrian toll across the Rainbow Bridge). Cassidy is very helpful with suggestions and directions and she will make reservations for you if you wish as well.

Things we enjoyed while visiting the Niagara Falls area (for those interested):
* Maid of the Mist… even in October is was a lot of fun. You get sprayed, but the rain slicker they give you keeps you dry. Before you take the elevator up to “ground level”, make sure you take the small hike from the dock to the base of the falls for a cool picture opportunity.
* Goat Island, a very pleasant 5 minute walk from Hillcrest Inn! You get a great view of the rapids and from the adjoining islands you can go right up to the brink of the falls! Incredible! Lunch at the Top of the Falls Restaurant was o.k. - a tourist-thing to do… the view was great, but the food and service was mediocre.
* Like I said, we went in October and it was too cold for The Cave of the Winds… It looked exciting, but the people who did it were soaked to the skin!!!
* On the Canadian side the view of Niagara Falls is a superior one… especially at night, when they illuminate the falls! Driving across is easy, just remember to bring you passports. If I may add this warning… the Canadian border officers have NO sense of humor, (Nor should they! It is a serious, important job/responsibility!)… my mother (who has the beginnings of dementia)… made a stupid comment, I think she was trying to be funny… it almost totally ruined our evening! Treat these officers like you should treat customs officers at the airport. I am sure this is needless warning to the majority of those of you reading this… but maybe some members of some parties should be put in check before encountering these very serious officers. Just a heads-up.
* The Journey Behind the Falls on the Canadian side looked like a really different thing to do. You get to go behind the falls… but again it was too cold for us to try it.
* Some of our fellow guests at Hillcrest Inn drove out to Niagara-on-the-Lake, on the Canadian side and really enjoyed the beautiful drive and the glorious scenery… they also raved about the wineries.

To sum things up… simply put, this trip was more romantic (considering my mother was along for the trip) and more memorable than I could have imagined!

Thank you very much Cassidy and her family... we LOVED our stay at the Hillcrest Inn!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank NJoisygirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Lewiston, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2010

My family reserved all four rooms in this B&B for a weekend. Cassidy and her family were incredibly accommodating and helpful hosts. The house is beautifully maintained, the breakfasts were delicious, and the grounds were lovely. We enjoyed afternoon tea on the sunporch and felt very much at home. I was able to have a small, short, and informal wedding ceremony in the backyard without any trouble at all. It was perfect! The Inn is a short walk to Goat Island which makes seeing Niagara Falls very easy. I fell in love with the Hillcrest Inn, and I would highly recommend it to anyone coming to stay in the Niagara Falls area.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank jcrickets
Auckland New Zealand
Reviewed May 24, 2010

My wife and I had 3 days at Niagara falls and stayed at the Hillcrest Inn.
We could not have made a better choice.We have stayed in many B&B'S around the world and this is the best by far-rivalling 5 star hotels in many areas.
The Hillcrest is located 5 mins walk from the American falls and within easy walking distance from Canada.There are some very good restaurants close by-Wine on 3rd was our favourite.
Cassidy is a wonderful, warm,friendly host who goes out of her way to make sure you have a great time.
After breakfast on the first day-and breakfast is something out of this world-Cassidy will sit down with you and advise on sights,and anything you wish to do.
When you arrive back at night,Cassidy will make you a coffee which is something most B&B's don't do.Mostly after Breakfast you are on your own but not at the Hillcrest.
We did not want to leave.
Not only is Cassidy wonderful but so is her family as well.
The other thing we liked is that the Hillcrest seems to attract friendly guests and everyone gets together in the common rooms and has a great time.
We met some lovely people from all over the USA.
This B&B suits people friendly people and if you as we say in New Zealand go with the flow you will have an absolutely awesome stay at the Hillcrest.
Any one wishing to stay at Niagara-book the Hillcresr and you won't be disappointed

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brentb
Clinton, South Carolina
Reviewed April 10, 2010

My husband and I visited Niagra Falls for three nights and decided to stay at Hillcrest Inn. Now, I must admit I didn't read the reviews before hand, which is unlike me, but I have read them since coming home and I agree with all of the positive comments. Cassidy, Debra, Mitsu, and of course Isabella made our stay wonderful. We stayed in the Master Suite and had a wonderful view, a lot of room and nice homey touches. During the times that the weather was bad and we stayed in, Cassidy made us feel at home in the sun room where we were able to relax and sit out the bad weather reading or talking to her mom and adorable little girl. Cassidy went out of her way to try and accomodate my picky breakfast tastes and my husband loved everything that she presented. I would recommend this B & B to anyone that asks. It is within very easy walking distance of everything. We even walked over to Canada.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Piuser
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed December 21, 2009

My wife and I recently decided to take a holiday trip to see Niagra Falls in the off peak season. We thought about staying at a place like the Comfort Inn, but decided against it when we found the Hillcrest Inn. The accomidations were fabulous, the hosts wonderful, and the service excellent. If you are looking for a nice quiet get-away for two, then the Hillcrest Inn is the place to be. An added bonus is being a 5 minute walk from the American Falls and a 20 minute drive from Elmwood.

Plus, the owners have the sweetest little girl. She will read to you and give you a great high-five!

We plan on returning to the Hillcrest Inn in the Spring time.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
maryland
Reviewed December 18, 2009

My Husband and I had the pleasure of calling the Hillcrest Inn "home" for a brief weekend. With Mitsu, Cassidy, and Deborah being our first Bed and Breakfast Hosts, the bar has been set incredibly high! You will not be disappointed at all being the guests of this beautiful family.
From dinner recommendations to an epicurian delight for breakfast, we were thoroughly impressed.
We will definitely return and recommend The Hillcrest Inn to friends and family.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Southern California
Reviewed November 4, 2009

My husband and I and another couple stayed at the Hillcrest B&B for three nights in October. We were warmly welcomed by Cassidy upon arrival. Cassidy is very well-versed in the attractions, restaurants, and deals to be had in the Niagara Falls area and she shared her expertise freely. We were more than comfortable in our rooms and the breakfasts were amazing. I don't know how she does what she does, but Cassidy is the comsumate hostess. We had a lovely stay. I, for one, was sad to leave. And the little one -- she is far and away a beautiful spirit.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple