“Worth the drive and more”
Review of Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Three magnificent falls, two American and one Canadian, mark the point at which the Niagara River rumbles over the Niagara Escarpment.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have seen the falls from the Canadian side. That is a better side to be on.
However if you take the maiden of the mist the view is spectacular .. And intimidating.
It was the highlight of our US vacation

Write a ReviewReviews (7,258)
All reviews
in 3,601 reviews
"nature"
in 480 reviews

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

The falls are awesome and there is a lot to see, but really New York? It's really dirty and I almost feel like i am back in Tijuana Mexico. With all the vendors selling Garage on the streets. Canada is really beautiful and clean so we are going to spend all of our hard earned money there!

1  Thank Matthew D
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the oldest national park in the US. Because of the location of Goat Island, there are plenty of spots to walk up to get a great view of the falls- both the Canadian and the US sides. Photo ops are plentiful. Even though it was raining for the beginning part of our trip, we were able to get so many good pictures.

Wear your walking shoes. To get from one side of the park to the other, you either need to be prepared to walk a good ways or pay for the trolley. We opted to walk and had no problems.

Maid of the Mist was also certainly worth the (little less than an hour) wait! Overall, this park is one you need to spend several hours at to get the full experience. I would definitely return to try out the Cave of the Winds and see some of the other attractions that we missed this time around.

1  Thank EC098
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I wish I had read this information on their website so that I had had a better idea how to plan our vacations. We have traveled a lot and we have teens so we came just for the falls, not the whole package which consists of 5 'adventures'.

So option number 1 simple: go to the observation tower to have the best view on the American falls and the Horseshoe falls (the more known ones from photos) from the U.S. side (better view overall from the Canadian side).

Option 1 bis - falls only but getting closer with the boat - Maid of the Mist - $16/person above 12. They give you a blue plastic cape, everybody looks like a smurf and everybody will get very wet anyway! Doing these 2 things, with parking time takes less than an hour if there is no queue (5pm in July - no queue)

Option 2 - add the Cave of the winds $11. It's to get really close, by foot, to the American falls (the smaller ones). Your plastic cape will be yellow.

If you wish to do more: the movie (40mn), the aquarium and the discovery center, count about 6 hours and buy the full discovery pass for $33/adullt or $26 for 5-12.

Many parking places are before the State park. Since it was in July we were afraid not to have anymore spots on the parking of the park. These people asked $20 for a dusty-stony place. We were right to take our chances: the State park parking is only $10 - we were on Parking number 1, the closest to the visitor center. Parking 2 is between the 2 falls, near the Cave of the winds and restaurant on Goat Island. Parking 3 is on the same island much further from the commercialized parts - plan to walk much more.

Conclusion: name very well known and massive flow but there are nicer falls in the world (Mexico, Africa, Paraguay). So good to see if on your way but should not be the main destination.

1  Thank TravelingCat22
See more reviews
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Niagara Falls, what can you say about it that hasn't already been said. It was awesome!! I couldn't imagine the amount of water going over the falls. For the wife and I, the gift shop was great. I really couldn't believe the people from all over the world right there. Being from Oklahoma, I told my wife, while we were there, that I didn't think I would ever be able to come see the falls. It was one of the highlights of our trip to Rochester, NY and checking out the falls is something everyone should do.