“Very basic - not worth the price!”

Super 8 Newburgh - West Point Stewart Intl Airport
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Newburgh
Durham, United Kingdom
“Very basic - not worth the price!”
Reviewed June 13, 2008

1 night stay during a 550 mile drive across the USA. Very basic accommodation but clean.
Super 8 are very crafty in that they show a picture of a nice room on their web site and it looks nothing like the one you get at check-in!
I had this happen to me 4 times on this trip! They should not show pictures of rooms they do not have.
OK for breaking journeys up - but was very expensive for what it is - would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Darlo44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Jacksonvillle, FL
Reviewed March 13, 2008

I booked 2 rooms at this location on Priceline, 1 for myself and 1 for my parents. When I arrived, the room was poor, even for a 1 star hotel. I have stayed in many Super 8 Motels with no issues in the past. The furnishings were worn, the bathroom was marginal, but I decided to stay because we were only there for one night, leaving early for the airport.

When my mom went to take a shower, black mold or filth came out from behind the poorly attached tub surround. When we called the front desk to complain, the manager, Denise, put them in a second room. My mom asked that the room be checked first to confirm that there was no mold. The desk clerk assured her that it had been checked. When she went to take a shower, again, black mold or filth came out from the tub surround. When she called the front desk, the manager, Denise, said that she was "crazy" and began to yell at her. My mother suffers from clinical depression, so this was not an appropriate thing to say. She told us to get out of the hotel and she would refund the money. When we went to leave, she refused to refund the money, and yelled at me in the lobby in front of incoming guests. I did not raise my voice. I got priceline on the phone and she then agreed to refund 1 room only. She lied to the priceline representative, stating 1: she placed my parents in 3 rooms. this is false-it was two rooms, and both were unacceptable. 2: she claimed my mother had cursed at her and another employee. My mother does not curse, and I told her that. She then said, "well, we couldn't understand her anyway". (my mother is from India and has an accent). 3. She said that she had put my parents in the "king suite", but that room looked identical to the previous room.

In addition, there was a loud party going on in the room above me and in the parking lot directly outside my room. The police had to be called to run off some drug users. (The guest in room 205 was also upset by this)

Basically, we had a very bad experience, and the manager Denise refused to make it right. She became verbally abusive, and gave very poor customer service. The other woman who was there was also rude, stating that "they had been working since 10 AM". I am sorry that they had a long shift, but they should not take it out on the customer. I still have yet to receive a refund for even the first room that Denise claimed I would receive, and I would like a refund for the second room as well. I would also like an apology. I work in customer relations, and my goal is to take care of our customers all the time, no matter what. Not only did Denise NOT attempt to take care of her customers, she went out of her way to be the opposite of how a manager should be.

• Liked — nothing.
  • Disliked — filth and nastiness.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank TheTravelinMan_2008
new jersey
Reviewed July 26, 2007

I had a written email confirmation for a no smoking room. I was given a smoking room and was asked to leave when I insisted on the nonsmoking room I was assigned.
Manager was rude and insulted me.

• Disliked — I did not get accomodation promised. I was promised a king bed nonsmoking. Was assigned a smoking room. Staff was rude and insulting.
  • Stayed February 2008
1 Thank Jackero
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 16, 2005

My sister and I stayed one night at this motel. The staff was nice enough and it was fairly easy to find. It was close enough to the airport. But we didn't know that it allowed pets--not a very comforting thought when you laid on top of the comforter. And the tub didn't drain. And the walls seemed to be paper thin. We could here everything that happened in the adjacent room, in the hallway, and down the hall. There was a small refrigerator in the room, so that was nice. It was okay for one night, but more than that would have been awful.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 19, 2004

The place needs remodeling. I got a smoking room when I requested a non-smoking room. Since I was only there to sleep I didn't care too much. Big mistake. The exhaust fan in the bathroom seemed to pump in more smoke. The second day the maid didn't give me new soap, yet left an envelope so I could leave her a tip. The walls are so thin, I could hear the neighbors bed squeak. If given the choice of staying here and sleeping in a car, I'll take the car.

2 Thank danderism
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed October 18, 2003

Bare minimum amenities (not even a clock in the room), poor front desk service, "non-smoking" rooms fill with cigarette smoke if you choose to use the vents/fan. The room we were given at check-in was occupied (found that out after walking in on the occupants), then 1/2 hour after getting another room, another guest (equipped with keys) showed up in our room. Don't bring anything you wouldn't want stolen.

3 Thank vree05
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 6, 2003

I just spent Saturday night at the super 8 in Newburgh, NY. When making the reservations, I was told that a continental breakfast was included in the rate. Upon checking in found that they served coffee and tea only. To me, that was not a breakfast. The TV only had cable channels that were from the 60s and 70s. Ed Sullivan.... Upon retiring I put on the air conditioner to cool down the room. After 3 hours, I woke up in a sweat and had to open the window. The air outside was much cooler than the air conditioned air. Thank goodness the window opened!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburgh
Howard Johnson Inn - Newburgh
Hampton Inn & Suites Newburgh Stewart Airport
Courtyard by Marriott Newburgh Stewart Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Newburgh Stewart Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newburgh-Stewart Airport
Quality Inn & Suites Fishkill

Been to Super 8 Newburgh - West Point Stewart Intl Airport? Share your experiences!