“Our stay at hojo in Newburgh, New York”

Howard Johnson Inn - Newburgh
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Newburgh
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We love to stay at the hojo because they take very good care of us every time we stay there. We also would like to see better rates at this location.

Ms. Wright

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Old but clean. Hall smelled like paint, but smell of room was O.K. Had all items one would expect in the room but the fridge never got very cold, and the shower water tended to turn cold. Ice machine wasn't working. Convenient to I84.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We had a room that included a sofa bed for our 12 yr old son. The sofa bed was only a twin, but what was awful is that the blanket on it was stained with goodness knows what all. The sheets were fine. But even my son (who is usually oblivious about these things) would not use the blanket. I had to try to get a clean one from the front desk and "got the last one". Additionally, when we first pulled the bed out, I noticed trash and cigarette butts (no smoking room) under the sofa, as if it had never been vacuumed.

The bathroom had numerous cracked and broken tiles, which one would think of as unsanitary since "stuff" can get into the cracks. The room rug had lint and small fuzzies all over it. I know I should have complained, but I suspect all the rooms were probably like this AND it was late and I just wanted to sleep.

However, I will make a point of not staying here again. I think that I have stayed here before, but it must have been clean or I wouldn't have stayed again. An unfortunate case of "you get what you pay for".

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Disgusting. I'm not a complainer, normally consider  my no-likes more a matter of my preferences and not objective reasons, and usually go by the rule you get what you pay for but this place is beyond acceptable - even with low expectations. I was literary afraid to touch anything in my room, touching most of the things with tissue and used my coat that I'm throwing away at the end of season to lie on the bed. I changed rooms twice, getting from terribly disgusting room to a dirty but ok room. I was planing on to stay 2 nights but cancelled the second, and I would cancel the whole stay if it wasn't too late in the evening and I didn't want to search for a new place from scratch at that time. The rooms I saw look barely cleaned in weeks, there was still trash from previous guests on the bathroom floor, food stains and remains on the table, the room corners haven't been cleaned in ages.

The worst thing- there seem to be human liquids on several places: something that resembled human feces on the wall, the same thing on the bed blanket, white stains on furniture... See my photos. and yes - the (remains of) a tennis court looks like exactly the other guest pointed out - imagine a photo of tennis court in Chernobyl, untouched by humans in years. That is the tennis court at Hojo in Newburgh.

It seems to me that either the housekeeping is guided by stopwatch limited 5 minutes to clean the room or they are so miserable and underpaid that they hate you and this is their way of showing it. I didn't feel like a welcome guest here.

Again, I don't expect anything fancy from a cheap place, and can be pretty humble. This place is incomparably worse than places at comparable price. I tend to stay away from negative actions towards anybody but pointing the problems out I hope I do something good - preventing potential guests from making disgusting mistake I did. I think Priceline should take this hotel off their portfolio so they don't have to deal with disappointments over no-refund policies - if the disappointed guest wants to cancel.

If you are looking at this place to save money - its not worth it. for the same price you'll get simple but clean rooms at the Extended stay America in Fishkill across the river. For few more dollars you'll get great rooms at Hampton Inn in Fishkill

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank EURESES
Reviewed April 9, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburgh
Hampton Inn & Suites Newburgh Stewart Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Newburgh Stewart Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newburgh-Stewart Airport
Courtyard by Marriott Newburgh Stewart Airport
Quality Inn & Suites Fishkill
Extended Stay America - Fishkill - Westage Center

Been to Howard Johnson Inn - Newburgh? Share your experiences!