“After all these years, still fabulous!!!”
Review of Il Cena'Colo

Il Cena'Colo
Ranked #17 of 187 Restaurants in Newburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Since 1988, Il Cenacolo has brought the taste of Northern Italy to the Hudson Valley. Celebrating the simplicity of classic Tuscan cuisine, its menu offers traditional recipes, presented with sophistication and mastery. The finest ingredients are prepared so their flavor shines through. Following Italy's guiding philosophy, every part of the meal is a culinary experience. Of the many notable dishes on the menu, Polletto al limone, Filetto al pepe nero, and Risotto alla pirata are renowned throughout the region.
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Although I don't live in the area anymore, I go back at least twice a year and always go to Il Cenacolo to get the best food in the area. Have gone there since they first opened and have never been disapointed. First class all the way. As far as those complaining that they don't get enough, it's quality not quantity. Sali knows his business!!

Reviewed March 22, 2010

This restaurant was recommended to us by the Cromwell Manor Inn, the B&B we booked for the weekend. We were a little concerned given some of the trip advisor comments, but we were more than pleasantly surprised and absolutely delighted with our food and the experience. The restaurant does not look like much from the outside, but once you get inside you get a view of the their beautiful antipasti and desserts. The list of fish specials was exotic and creative. We started with antipasto that was excellent, then a scallop dish, then a pasta dish with filet mignon in the meat sauce and finished off with a ribeye broiled with herbs over the top. In addition, we were waited on by at least three people. Our waitress was friendly, informative and accomodating, and the two bus boys were always on top of water, bread, clearing and helping to serve. It was one of those meals where you look at one another all the way through and smile and nod. We were thoroughly pleased and will definitely go back. I already recommended this restaurant to many friends via email.

1  Thank Eric E
Reviewed March 13, 2010

After hearing about this restaurant from a few friends, I decided to take my wife there for her Birthday. I was very disappointed. There was no flow with the service of food, it took over an hour to get out main course and when we did some dishes were cold. We complained and they made no attempt to redeem themselves. We then made the mistake of ordering desert and they were iffy at best. The cappacino was horrible. The wine was severly over priced and when we got the overall bill, it was clear that this place is not worth over 400 dollars for a table of six that included two children.

Reviewed October 30, 2009

Can't beleive some of the reviews of these 'whiners', this restaurant is as authentic as the foods my grandparents and parents from Italy made, even better. Fresh, incredible to the pallett, our server was thee most amazing, smart, knowledgeble person ever. There was not one question we asked her, whether it be about the food or the wines or how a certain selection was prepared and what it was prepared with. It is also a lovely, quiet, perfectly lighted (dim), and pleasant Primo Classe' restaurant My relatives that travel all over the world and the United States told me about this restaurant, and they were right, it is one of the best Italian restaurant's ever, As far as price, I feel it is reasonable in comparison to other restaurants of good quality. You want good food, you have to pay for it, if you can't afford it, then don't go. Stick with chain restaurants, and you will get what you pay for and less!!!

Reviewed September 8, 2009

We've been to Il Cenacolo at least 6 times before and always had good experiences. Until this weekend. I'm still sick over how miserable we were, and how much it cost us.

We had the worst service I've had in well over a decade, maybe two. I think the last time I asked to talk to the manager about the service was 1992 so it takes horrible service to make me get to that point. Our server was condescending from the moment we didn't buy bottled water to 2.5 hours later when we asked for our check and still hadn't heard about desserts. There are lots of specials and our server only told us half of them the first time she listed them. When we said we were ready to order (30 minutes after being seated!) she told us she hadn't told us all the specials. She told us the rest and left again for 10 minutes! We didn't get any food until 55 minutes after we were seated.

If we hadn't had good experiences before, we would have walked out before ordering but it was supposed to be a special night and we kept hoping things would get better. The food was good but it was ruined by such awful service.

When I asked to talk to the manager, I was told he was busy at another table. I explained to the hostess (who seemed to be doing much of our waitresses job all night) what we thought of the experience. While she was apologetic, she couldn't get us a chance to actually talk to the manager. She kept saying she hoped we'd give them another chance but honestly, that will never happen. The restaurant is way too expensive to tolerate anything but very good service.

I think this may be becoming a place where regulars get treated well and everyone else gets ignored. I want to make sure people are aware that the service has fallen off dramatically in the last year.

3  Thank travelfan456