“Great dining experience!”

Ranked #13 of 182 Restaurants in Newburgh
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Wonderful menu and atmoshphere. Old landmark building is revovated nicely, cook is highly talented. The beef rib potroast is amazing.

There are newer reviews for North Plank Road Tavern

Reviewed January 3, 2013

This restaurant is located in one of the oldest buildings in Newburgh. I enjoyed the previous restaurant (Beebs) that was there. I was upset that they left. Apparently, there was some tension with the owner of the building and the restaurant renting the space from him. I didn't think another restaurant would be able to come in and be as good as Beebs was because they were one of the best places to eat in town; however, North Plank Road Tavern has done so!
I was able to get a reservation last minute for New Year's Eve with some friends. The bartender told me they had only had the kitchen open for about two weeks so that may have had something to do with it.
The bar is tiny. It is nice but if there were dozen people there it would be packed. The entire restaurant is small. Very quaint with low ceilings and low doorways and wood floors that creak when you walk on them. Old school Hudson valley.
The food was delicious but a bit pricey. I wouldn't say that the food was boring or bland but for the price I believe it should have been more exciting. They had a fois gras appetizer that I tried. If there is fois gras offered at a restaurant I am at that is definitely what I will be ordering. While it was great to see it on a menu so close to home, I felt the pineapple it was paired with took too much away from the rich and decadent flavors of the fois gras. My girlfriend got the steamed cockles which were prepared perfectly.
For my entree I had the special which was swordfish. It was cooked well but that is about it. The flavors were good but I expected better. I had a bite of steak from my friend and it delicious. Their fries are great! The pasta dish with lobster which I tried was good but not great.
The dessert we shared at the table was a pastry with custard and a chocolate dipping sauce. Wasn't really my thing; however everyone at the table really enjoyed it.
Overall it was a good experience. The staff was friendly and on their game for our dinner. The food was better than average, but for the price was expecting a bit more. I enjoyed my experience and will return again.