“Great Place of Military Honor” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of National Purple Heart Hall Of Honor

National Purple Heart Hall Of Honor
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in New Windsor
More attraction details
Owner description: Please note the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor is CLOSED on Mondays
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
New York, NY
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Place of Military Honor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

My father served 20 years, so I'm a bit biased, but this is definitely a place worth visiting. It's a great way to honor those who have been wounded in the line of duty. We went on a rainy Tuesday, so we were the only visitors at the time, but that made it even better. The guides give you a nice short intro when you walk in and you learn that this is all a work in progress, and that the people putting this together really care about making it the best it can be. You move on to a room to watch a 20 minute video on the history of the medal, then you're free to wander the museum at leisure. We were probably there an hour and a half total and we stopped to read everything. Unfortunately the adjoining Catonment was closed because it was Tuesday, but we went ahead and looked around the grounds as well. We'd all like to go back and see that part when it's open, too.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank rugrl18

Seattle
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Hidden Treasure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

What a great find! I was looking to kill time before a flight out of SWF and decided to stop here for a quick visit. The admission is free and the staff is incredibly informed and willing to talk and share their experiences. The 20 minute film should not be missed by any American! I highly recommend this historic and informative museum.

Visited August 2013
Silver Spring, Maryland
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Great spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I both enjoyed the museum. Admission is free and the park employees were truly excellent. There is a registry of Purple Heart recipients and I was able (with the very able help of one of the park employees) to put my cousin into the database. There is a nice exhibit of 18th century artillery. The film was started just for my wife and I and it described the Purple Heart decoration's history. We were moved by the film - don't visit this park without seeing it. The recreated buildings from the American Revolution were very good. You can probably see the park in an hour but items a great spot to relax and reflect. My only criticism is the web site - it badly needs a facelift by highlighting all of the things on display and a map showing its location. We went out of our way to visit and wee we glad we did! Well done to the team than runs the park.

Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 221 helpful votes
“EVERY AMERICAN should visit here if you're in the Area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was a nice museum with some original artifacts including the original log structure that housed 30 soldiers in the 1700's at this encampment. George Washington walked these grounds - and you can learn something about the long forgotten men who gave their lives for US - IMO sacred ground. God bless them for their service, may they all rest in peace.

Visited July 2013
Walden, New York
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Historical”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Very well done and laid out. Clean facilities and lovely grounds. We went on a boy scout outing. The staff is very knowledgeable and friendly.

Visited June 2013