“great staff, but ownership flops compared to Marriott”

Radisson Hotel New Rochelle
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in New Rochelle
Boston, MA
“great staff, but ownership flops compared to Marriott”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

part of this review should be Excellent -- the other part should be "Terrible."

I've stayed here twice now -- and I've also stayed at the local Marriott maybe 10 times. I was hopeful the Radisson would be my new "home" base in New Roc, but after this trip, I will never go back.

I called and asked for an eary check-in after arriving on a red eye from Arizona. The desk manager was wonderful and gave me a room at 7am -- and didn't charge me - even though I offered to pay a business class rate upgrade (he said he would do that, but he didn't have a free business class room).

I arrived, rested, and was happy. But then I couldn't get on the internet. I wrote it off and went on my family visit (a funeral) and came back at the end of a long day hoping for a glass of wine in the restaurant so I could catch up on some overdue work. The internet still didn't work. I went to the desk with my laptop, thinking maybe I had a computer glitch. They said they had other complaints, so they would call the internet company. Meanwhile, the small table I was using in the bar was wobbly, so much so it tipped the glasses off. breaking them. It was a mess. The bartender was great - she set me at another table, got me a fresh glass of wine. I felt caref for,

But still, the internet didn't work. Now I was getting desperate.

I was on a deadline for work, so the bartender took me to the business center. Even there, the internet didn't work. I asked again at the desk about the internet and said I might have to leave. Then, amazingly, the hotel manager (Colby?) gave me her desk and computer to use. This was great for a while, but I realized I needed to download some data to my laptop and couldn't connect without internet. I was stuck - again.

I was tired, frustrated, and hearing my boss in my mind say, "why didn't you just go to the marriott?"

So, more than an hour into this, I told them I would have to check out and get this work done.
When I came to check out, the desk clerk said I would now get a 20% discount on my room night--- I would have to pay 80% of the fee for the room, despite checking out because there was no internet!

At least at Marriott, they empower their employees to be able to solve problems. At Radisson, the employees tried their best, but when it failed, they couldn't make it better.

Stay away from Radisson if you need to get things done. It's sad. I was so hopeful this would be my local hotel for visiting my Aunt.

Room Tip: All of the above are great ratings. But the overall experience was ruined by their inability to ref...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jmemmc2
Radisson10801, General Manager at Radisson Hotel New Rochelle, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Boston MA,

We truly regret that you had issues with the Internet for whatever reason. Many travelers use corporate laptops that have firewalls; therefore are unable to connect. I am glad that you met Colby Brock, she is our Food & Beverage manager and he Father is the owner of our hotel and has been for over 38 years. I realize that using Colby's office was not as convenient as your guest room, but appreciate her trying to resolve the issue. I had the IT department come out last night and we have upgraded our equipment do there should be no problems going forward.

We always appreciate our guest letting us know how their stay was and truly consider all comments/suggestions/ideas that will make future stats more enjoyable.

We consider Marriott Residence Inn as one of our neighbors and we work together. We send them business and they send us business - it is a great partnership. We have the only full service hotel in New Rochelle and then they accept pets, where we do not so we truly both refer
to each other.

We appreciate your time and appreciate your comments. as I mentioned we regret that you had an issue with the Internet. We'd love to have you back on your next
visit to New Rochelle.

Rhonda Hausman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
NYS Capital Region
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have stayed here several times for business over the past several years. In the recent past it has been renovated and is really very nice. The lobby area is inviting, and the rooms are very comfortable and clean. The rooms all have sleep number beds, and they can be set to your comfort level, which I found to be a major plus. The heating/ac works properly, and I was comfortable during a period of changing weather and temperatures. The rooms are remarkably quiet. I was near the elevator, but never heard them or any people in the hallway. The restaurant is really good, and the staff was very attentive. On one of the nights we ate there, there was a large party going on there, but our service never changed. The hotel is also very close to the Metro North station, and you can be in mid Manhattan in a short time. There are plenty of restaurants nearby, for every taste. All in all, this has become one of my favorites.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Radisson10801, General Manager at Radisson Hotel New Rochelle, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
A Good Place to Stay,

Thank you for such a great review. We always appreciate our guest letting us know how their stay was. We welcome comments, ideas, suggestions whether it is on what we are doing "right" or perhaps anything that our guest feel we need to "improve" upon. We have a great hotel that has been in this community for over 38 years. We are locally owned and operated and have a great hotel family that loves serving our guest.

Over the last couple years we have won "Renovation of the Year 2011" in 2012 for Carlson Hotels for our lobby renovaiton, this year we won "Renovation of the Year 2012" for our restaurant renovation, in addition we have renovated a large portion of our rooms with new bathrooms adding new glass shower doors, custom vanities, great lighting package, ... a beautiful design that compliments our lobby and NoMa Social.

We offer complimentary internet, every room has a refrigerator, in room coffee service, iron/ironing board in every room, flat screen TV's in all of our rooms, on site fitness center; as well as partner with New York Sports Club, we have outdoor pool, and business center on site. We have a variety of room types so whether you need a king, 2 beds, a suite, ... we have something for everyone. We are the closest hotel to the beach clubs; as well as our location to Manhattan and surround cities is great.

As you mentioned we have NoMa Social @ Radisson New Rochelle. We just celebrated our 1 year anniversary for opening and had a fabulous event. Chef Billy Rosenberg and Colby Brock, restaurant manager do a fabulous job with the restaurant/room service/weddings/engagement celebrations. We have the only full-service hotel in New Rochelle and are truly proud to be a part of Westchester County/New Rochelle.

We look forward to serving you again and appreciate your kind remarks in regards.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

After reading the reviews, I can say that I completely agree with the most of them.
The outside is a big building look- with ample parking.
I saw a luggage trolley, but was not sure if I needed a bell hop or do it myself.
Once I was in, I was completely and nicely surprised. Check-in was easy- a little surprise at the deposit/hold, but nothing to fret over.
The lobby was very chic and modern with neutral tones. I read that they remodeled and did a great job.
Once in the room, I was pleasantly surprised at the beds- Sleep Number and the decor. Again a modern feel.
The staff were very helpful, professional and courteous.
Definitely looking into booking a block of rooms for my bride in October.
Infinity Weddings and Events, LLC.

Room Tip: Look around the area- there are a couple of places to eat.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Infinity Weddings & Events, LLC

We are so pleased that you had a great experience and are interested in booking an event with us. We have over 6,500 sq feet of meeting room space so whether it is a small intimate wedding or a big bash - we have something for everyone. Our speciality is weddings, we also do conventions, hold church services, birthday parties, baby showers, training, and bar/bat mitzvah's ... keep us in mind. Chef Billy Rosenberg and his team does a fabulous job for our events and also for NoMa Social, our restaurant.

Our hotel has been owned and operated for over 38 years and we continue to improve upon our hotel and our service year after year.

Christine, Tegan & Debra are there to serve you during office hours or if you need an appointment after hours - we would love to do that as well. Our catering department is available at (914) 576-3700 X241.

Atlanta
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Highly impressed. The rooms were super clean and the staff was excellent. Furthermore, the hotel is right off of Interstate 95 and close to the Metro Subway station. My wife and I truly enjoyed the stay.

Stayed April 2013
Great location, Great Staff!

We appreciate you letting us know that you had a great stay and that the location was perfect for you. As you mentioned we are right off I-95 exit 16. We are also 3 blocks from the New Rochelle Metro North/Amtrak train station so whether you want a quick trip into Manhattan or headed to Washington DC our location is perfect. Also if you are going to White Plains, Pelham, Mt. Vernon, Larchmont or Mamaroneck ... we have location, location, location!

Our hotel has been locally owned and operated for more than 38 years. Many of our hotel family have been with us for many years. We take pride in our service; as well as our property.

Bronx, New York
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I want to thank the entire Banquet Staff. The attention that was given to my Guest, especially to the Elderly is greatly appreciate. My daughter's Sweet 16 was a success. We had the music and the Food you provided was fabulous. My guest went back for more. Special thanks to Tegan for initalizing the plans with us. Debra- a great big hug and thank you for your patience,ideas and guidance in finalizing the party for my daugther.
I give The Radission Banquet Team 5 Stars.
My sister and her husband stayed overnight in one of your rooms. They loved it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sweet Sixteen,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to post such a great review. We truly are proud of our entire Banquet team and yes, Tegan & Debra are awesome! We are so glad that you had a great time at your daughter's Sweet Sixteen and that you were pleased with your event.

We look forward to serving you again with any celebration you may have in the future.

Cockeysville
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at this hotel please don't judge it by its outside. I arrived and was check in was very efficient. The lounge is beautiful enjoyed the atmosphere and decor. Was in town celebrating a friends birthday arrived Friday. Breakfast was nice. However for some reason my room keys were deactivated not sure why when checkout was not until Sunday. The event was beautiful and again the lounge was awesome live DJ. Okay the down side we lost of hour, room service to bring towels and wash clothes took forever.. Okay so the worse Sunday morning guest at hotel started banging on another guest door at about 7:00 in the morning this banging went on for 45 minutes and went bought to front desk attention they advised they didn't hear it you would had to been dead not to hear it. Ruined my morning..
However I would recommend a stay here I tried to book for another stay hotel is sold out.. I was going to make this my hotel of choice for leisure and business but guess I can't hotel needs to be more aware of what Is going on.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Radisson10801, General Manager at Radisson Hotel New Rochelle, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Bonita,

Thank you so much for telling us about your experience at our hotel when you came for Deb's 40th Birthday Party held here at the Radisson. I suggested that Natasha from our sales department call you as soon as I read that you were unable to book as you mentioned we were sold out in your Medallia Survey . Natasha said that she had contacted you and you've already booked a couple nights for future dates! Thank you!!

In regards to the noise, we do apologize and regret that you were inconvenienced. We have hotel security 11pm-6am every night; therefore they had already ended their shift when you had the issue at 7am. Again, we apologize.

We always appreciate hearing from our guest. We look forward to comments/suggestions/ideas and look forward to you returning on your next trip to New Rochelle.

Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights at the Radisson. The hotel staff was great, and housekeeping did an amazing job. You can tell that the management cares about the guest experience, because they added a mini refrigerator and microwave to their standard rooms. [It was obvious that it wasn't part of the original design of the room, but I really appreciated having it.]
Many things in New Rochelle are within walking distance, but it's a bit of a hike. It looks as if many of the attractions were developed after the hotel was built, tho, so that isn't their fault.
Our restaurant experience left lots to be desired. Dirty booths and tables. Servers wearing jeans. Staff jumping in front of us to retrieve items off the buffet for another guest. We only ate one meal there, but would have eaten there more if it hadn't been for that experience.
All in all, it was a great value. I would even consider the restaurant for evening appetizers and cocktails, as it seems that they were geared more towards that than your traditional breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I definitely would stay there again and recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear DRHALL,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor about your recent stay. We are so glad that you had a great stay and felt the location was good for activities while you were here. I do apologize for the issue at the restaurant and assure you that we will address it with the NoMa Social staff.

We always appreciate hearing from our guest; we want to hear the things that went GREAT and the things that we need to IMPROVE upon; as well. We have been locally owned and operated for over 37 years and continue to raise the bar in regards to service; as well as our hotel. We won "Renovation of the Year 2011" in 2012 and just received the "Renovation of the Year 2012" in February at this year's Radisson Annual Conference.

Again, thank you for your comments/suggestions/ideas and we'll look forward to your return visit in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Rochelle
Courtyard Rye
Courtyard Rye
#1 of 1 in Rye
Residence Inn By Marriott New York The Bronx at Metro Center Atrium

Been to Radisson Hotel New Rochelle? Share your experiences!