“Great Staff..Not so great....”

Residence Inn New Rochelle
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in New Rochelle
New York
“Great Staff..Not so great....”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

In all my years of travelling the staff was the best...from check in to departure..the breakfast maitre de was especially a fine ,caring lady whose bright smile was a welcome sight every morning.That being said the staff was the reason the hotel got three stars oherwise two would have been kind.First of all I don't believe this is a true Marriott..I have stayed at plenty of Marriotts and I have to believe this is owned by a franchise.To me this hotel does not meet the Marriott standard.We stayed there for seven weeks on the insurance company money so price was not the issue.We had a one bedroom suite.Nice, not bad..I had a few problems with the softness of the mattress and an issue with the wash basin in the bedroom itself rather than in the bathroom..My wife had an issue with the stove..for some reason there was no oven...hard to bake without an ovenand prepare for Passover.The single most annoying part of the room was the constant drone of the fan from the heater.If you turned off the heat you froze..if you set the heater to shut off at a certain temperature it would turn off then start rightback up...annoying if you are trying to sleep..I asked the engineer about the problem and he told me that everyone was aware of this problem but the general manager decided not to change the system"it is too expensive".Let's now discuss the computers..there are two computers with two printers.For the first three plus weeks the printers did not work......I was told "they were waiting for ink cartridges"...two miles away is Staples maybe they might be able to help?.The reality is the printers and computers re in my estimation at least three to four years old and should have been junked a long time ago..This is not the Marriott way..The elevators are a disaster.There are two.You have to qickly put room key into slot to get to room..try doing that with packages.Not only that if you are too slow you are whisked to another floor...Music.In the area around the elevators and in the two common bathrooms you are subjugated to miserable loud music...(I think American Idol reject songs)Unfortunately ,we were at the Marriott when they were undergoing reconstruction...It was a little unsettling to have to ride elevators with workmen and their massive amounts of equipment..however the crew were nice and doing their jobs.......Then one day we were informed we had to leave our room from 8-5 so that they could put in granite tops and they wanted to do this before Easter..This bothered me because it was Passover..we finally were able to reach a day that was satisfactory to all.....As a point of interest there never was made available Matzah during Passover which again is not the Marriott way ..I spent Passover in East Lansing and there were Matzahs available...Breakfast was a homerun..I dont think it could be better......you name it it was there....of course no Matzahs....The dinner ..lets say forget about it....The only worthy thing to eat was the salad and cookies...who wants mac and cheese or chef Boyardi ravioli..or inedible hotdogs...they should just stick with breakfast and not embarrass themself with dinner...Finally parking..8dollars a day and you can park on one of three levels..of course the primary one is almost always filled..the secondary one was used for staging the reconstruction ..you can imagine the flying dust...no extra charge for that........oh one last thing even though we were on 9th floor there was plenty of ambient street noise..across street there is a firehouse..and then my favorite the railroad trains..think Cousin Vinney and you get the idea...oh one more thing the television selection channels ..not so good..no local sports staitons and two HBO..you cant even purchase a movie..I know the answer to that there is a movie complex with maybe 15 theaters....Perhaps I am being a little picky but this Marriott is not a real Marriott.

Room Tip: Away from elevators but no too far...the higher the floor the better
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DanielleStumpf, General Manager at Residence Inn New Rochelle, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Twostate,

Thank you for your review today for the Residence Inn, New Rochelle. The Marriott name is one that I work for with great pride, and the Residence Inn brand is specialized to have guests such as yourself stay with us for an extended stay. Our goal is to help you thrive when you stay with us. First and foremost I would like to thank you for your lovely compliments regarding my team. I will be happy to share your review with them and thank them for their service to you. With that said I am dissapointed to hear we were not able to exceed all of your expectations. I can understand your frustration with the set up of the vanity outside of the bathroom, and the fact that you had no oven in the room. When the hotel was built, the rooms were configured to have half of them have ovens. I hope that you were able to enjoy that your room was equipped with a new cooktop, with the new stainless steel appliances and settings for 4. Since you were here for our renoavtion, I would like to apologize for any dispruptance in your stay. Ensuring that the granite was completed in all of our rooms was a priority for us, however Easter was not the purpose for the rush. I understand that you were here to celebrate Passover with your family, and that is why we did offer a choice of days and times to all of our guests. We made a strong effort to complete our renovation to 100% satisfaction for our guests while causing you little to no trouble. As for the heat in the room, it is a bit different than one that would be used in a home and does turn back on when the room drops below your desired temperature. We are not looking to replace the system at this time, as it does function properly, and does heat/cool the room well.
My number one priority for my guests and my team is the safety and security in the hotel. The purpose of the key pass in the elevator is to ensure that only registered guests of the hotel may enter.
Your words of kindness regarind my breakfast team, and breakfast set up were especially touching. I look forward to having our morning meeting tomorrow so I can shine the light on their level of service. We are sure to thank and promote service such as theirs and look forward to putting out a beautiful spread each morning.

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Now that our renovation is complete, I am quite certain we would exceed your expectations in every way. My Leadership Team and I are taking each one of your points and working to improve the guest experience even further.

If you ever have a reason to stay with us again, I would be happy to serve you. Please feel free to contact me directly if there is ever anything I can do to be of assistance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Mamaroneck, New York
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and always find the staff to be very friendly and professional. The rooms are always clean and the whole hotel was just recently renovated. You can't go wrong with this very conveniently located spot!

Dear JenF455,

Thank you so much for your recent review on TripAdvisor regarding my hotel and Team at the Residence Inn, New Rochelle. We have a team of professionals that really care about each of our guests, and their experience with us. I am thrilled that you had an opportunity to stay with us since the completion of our renovation. We are excited to annouce all of the beauty this building now has to offer. We feel that the new guest suites, and corridors are an accurate reflection of the service we love to provide.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I know how valuable time is and we can't thank you enough. I will be happy to share your review with my team for a job well done!

Danielle Stumpf
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed April 2, 2013

New Rochelle Residence Inn was a great experience, I would highly recommend it to anyone that is staying in New Rochelle and the surrounding areas to stay here. The breakfast was the best and the staff is friendly!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Danielle S, General Manager at Residence Inn New Rochelle, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear FrankV707,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! My team and I take great pride in the service we offer. The Marriott name is one that comes with a long line of service trainings, that coupled with a group of people that genuinely care about your stay and satisfaction is a recipe for satisfaction. The full buffet breakfast that we offer is always a favorite - especially the waffle station with toppings and the fresh fruit to-go's!
If you stayed recently, I hope you were impressed with out renovated rooms. I think the bright colors, fresh walls, flooring, furniture, and new appliances now match the service you get when you enter our doors!

We hope to see you again soon!

Danielle Stumpf
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a great location if you are driving and need to go places in New York including Manhattan. It is convenient to the rail station and allows easy access to Manhattan day or night. If you are driving, parking is only $8/night. You can drive to Connecticut, the Bronx, New York outside of the City, or New Jersey. Rooms are roomy, clean and comfortable. The staff is very helpful. Suites have kitchenettes and there is a good supermarket in the same building. It is a short drive to Fairway Market, for fresh exceptional groceries. For the price, especially for people who drive to NY, it is a good alternative to staying in the city. Breakfast is included and is pretty good. There are washers and dryers on almost every floor.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the 19th floor near the breakfast room. They are small and smelly.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Danielle S, General Manager at Residence Inn New Rochelle, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to review your experience at the Residence Inn New Rochelle. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you stay again in the furture!
long island, new york
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My son and I stayed here one night while he was visiting Iona College. The 2 young ladies at the front desk were very professional yet warm and friendly, full of advice, a great first impression for your organization. Our room on the 8th floor was brand new, spacious and comfortable. Breakfast was very good, a nice selection of items (loved the little egg bisquits) and
all food was fresh. Free in room Wi Fi was great because I was able to work while my son was at Iona. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Danielle S, General Manager at Residence Inn New Rochelle, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We have an amazing staff that is always willing to go the extra mile for our guests. Our goal is to assure your stay is enjoyable and memorable. I appreciate you choosing the Residence Inn and hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over the weekend while my son visited Iona College. Very close to the college, about a mile, but I wouldn't say it was within walking distance. Checked in and initially given a room on the 7th floor facing NYC. Very comfortable room but a lot of street and train noise. Requested a change of rooms and everyone we talked to bent over backwards to help us. Housekeeping, managers, and all staff. Every interaction was a pleasant experience! Moved to the side of the hotel that faced the restaurants and entertainment area and it was much quieter and overlooked the water. Could see the sunrise daily! Fabulous breakfast, within walking distance to train (which was a short 30 min ride) and just a great overall stay! Would only stay here again in future! Excellent customer service all around!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Danielle S, General Manager at Residence Inn New Rochelle, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review about your recent stay here at the Residence Inn by Marriott New Rochelle! We have an amazing staff who strives every day to exceed our guest’s expectations. We hope you have the opportunity to stay with us in the future and enjoy our newly renovated rooms!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 9, 2013

It was a pleasure staying at this hotel, everything was perfect..the rooms are huge and clean, service was outstanding..
Looking forward to visit again diring the summer to enjoy the pool.

The hotel is near a movie within a mall the has movie theater, restaurants and fin zone for kids with ice skating place and bowling allie and a race track.. What more can you ask.. A lot of good known restaurants in the vicinity.. The hotel is well maintain, the rooms are nice, with kitchen and flat screens.. It gives you a feel of being in a private appartment ratherthan a hotel room.. I will visit this place in the future.. Well accese are, is just a 5 min drive from the highway to the hotel.. This is a great hotel

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We strive to exceed your expectations and provide excellent service. We look forward to seeing you in the summer to enjoy our outdoor pool and relax in our newly renovated guest rooms!
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Rochelle
#4 of 8 in White Plains
Courtyard Rye
Courtyard Rye
#1 of 1 in Rye

Been to Residence Inn New Rochelle? Share your experiences!