“WORST experience of my life!”
Review of Don Coqui - CLOSED

Don Coqui
Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Today is my mother'sbirthday and as a family we all wanted to take her to dinner. Decided on this restaurant, first we were charged 20 dollars to park, we were greeted by the rudest man, he didn't smile once, didn't even say welcome just asked for IDs. Then he says my brother cannot eat in bc of sneakers. We came to dinner to celebrate my mothers bday not to party! He say her ID as proof it was her bday but that didn't matter, he could care less. He called for his boss, we waited 20 min for a nasty rude man to walk up to is looking us up and down then says 'we could take our money elsewhere' I then said we parked to pay and need a refund he says that's a different company. This is the type of business you run with disgusting employees? Never will I give this establishment a dime and I will make certain to tell all my family and friends of the awful treatment we experienced on my mothers bday, you should be ashamed of yourself and you call yourself a family owned business you don't have a clue about family and how to treat people. I am utterly disgusted!

7  Thank Sherell2

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We visited Don Coqui and were very disappointed! The bathroom was filthy and the service was horrible. I ordered the fried yucca wraps and the pork was very dry..the staff rushes you out and the DJ played out dated music; we listened to "My Girl" twice during our meal. I can't believe they advertise this place as sleek and elegant!! Their squeeky wood floors need an upgrade.

3  Thank madeline n
Jaleene R, Manager at Don Coqui, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Hello Madeline,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about Don Coqui-- New Rochelle. We want to apologize for the experience your received on your visit with us, and assure you that we have taken steps so that lapses such as the ones mentioned do not occur again. Don Coqui is a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on excellent service and cleanliness. We hope you give us another try. Please contact me directly (Jaleene@DonCoqui.tv) so that we can discuss this issue further, and so that I can personally invite you back as my guest.

Thank you again!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We arrived and were greeted by someone who didn't seem to know what was going on, we sent back our appetizer, the fish smelled so bad that I had to sit it on another table to get it away from me, we had to stand up and wave to get our servers attention, it was not a good deal at all and when we left, my husband gave the guy in the parking lot two dollars to get our car that was just a FEW feet away from us and he stopped, looked down at the money, looked back up at us with a snarl and then looked back at the money as if to say, "that's all you're giving me" to drive our car a few feet, it was awful! Horrible all around, food was not good, service was not good, and the valet was rude, never again!

2  Thank Babsigns

Hello Babsigns,

I want to sincerely apologize for your experience with us. Don Coqui is a family owned and operated business, and customer feedback is exceptionally important to us. We have already taken the necessary steps to ensure that the lapses you experienced do not occur again. In addition we have spoken to the owner of the Valet Company to ensure their staff also produces the effective, and efficient service that Don Coqui prides itself on. Thank you for brining this to our attention-- we hope that you would give us another opportunity to show you what Don Coqui is all about. Please contact me directly (Jaleene@DonCoqui.tv) so that I can invite you back as a personal guest of mine.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Puerto Rican food with Puerto Rican hospitality. Starts with valet parking so no need to wander around for a spot like a lot of places in NYC. It also helps with getting there on time for reservations.
Seating is ample (although the place does fill up) and there is also space between the tables. Food is dominated by the protein component. While some reviewers appear to be disappointed we have been lucky thus far to have our steaks cooked to perfection. Sides are good, too. I like their mashed potato: it is a chunky rather than creamy version.
Service is attentive and relaxed. You do have to take your hats and caps off, though.
Overall, very good experience.

Hello ithecat,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We appreciate your kind words-- and hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed April 3, 2014

such divergent opinions! I can't speak to the music scene, since we left the New Rochelle location when it was just starting up, and it appears you MUST be young to dance there. As it should be, I guess. Incidentally, we recently drove by the City Island location on the way to another restaurant, and could barely get over the bridge, the line was that long to get in - so I think Don Jimmy is doing just fine.

As I was saying, I had an excellent mojito at the bar, but if I knew I couldn't get my second 'two for one' happy hour drink at the table, I would have lingered longer before sitting down. Now I know. We got the four-top I requested, and the manager couldn't be nicer. Our wait person was very, very nice and has a lovely name - Dayanara, isn't that pretty?

I had to reiterate a few times that we were there to linger over our meal - tables were empty, it was early, why the rush? - but eventually we were left alone. I should make a sign to wear when I go out to eat, DO NOT RUSH ME! (you know who you are, the other two places I will never step foot in again). Oh, and I forgot to mention - there is valet parking, very early in the evening, but when you go out, you know why, the place is packed. At least there isn't metered parking, as in the rest of New Rochelle. As you recall, I don't pay to park to eat.

So, where was I? Oh yes, we had a Groupon here too, BUT this is how a Groupon is supposed to be handled. There was NO grimace when I handed over the Groupon and it was explained what we could order. We got two glasses of wine, they were very good, one appetizer to split - more than enough - and two entrees, good and plenty of food.

We ordered an extra dessert to share, chocolate lava cake, and it was very good.

Overall, a very nice music. I'm no expert, but I thought that was salsa music being played towards the end of our meal.

I recommend Don Coqui in New Rochelle, and I would return.

Hello DeeDee,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such fantastic feedback. It really does make us happy to hear feedback such as yours, as this is why we work so hard! We can't wait to have you join us at one of our other establishments, City Island, as you mentioned or event White Plains (107 mamaroneck Ave)! Thank you again-- and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Best,