“Relaxed atmosphere, good and plenty food”
Review of Don Coqui - CLOSED

Don Coqui
Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Puerto Rican food with Puerto Rican hospitality. Starts with valet parking so no need to wander around for a spot like a lot of places in NYC. It also helps with getting there on time for reservations.
Seating is ample (although the place does fill up) and there is also space between the tables. Food is dominated by the protein component. While some reviewers appear to be disappointed we have been lucky thus far to have our steaks cooked to perfection. Sides are good, too. I like their mashed potato: it is a chunky rather than creamy version.
Service is attentive and relaxed. You do have to take your hats and caps off, though.
Overall, very good experience.

Jaleene R, Manager at Don Coqui, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Hello ithecat,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We appreciate your kind words-- and hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed April 3, 2014

such divergent opinions! I can't speak to the music scene, since we left the New Rochelle location when it was just starting up, and it appears you MUST be young to dance there. As it should be, I guess. Incidentally, we recently drove by the City Island location on the way to another restaurant, and could barely get over the bridge, the line was that long to get in - so I think Don Jimmy is doing just fine.

As I was saying, I had an excellent mojito at the bar, but if I knew I couldn't get my second 'two for one' happy hour drink at the table, I would have lingered longer before sitting down. Now I know. We got the four-top I requested, and the manager couldn't be nicer. Our wait person was very, very nice and has a lovely name - Dayanara, isn't that pretty?

I had to reiterate a few times that we were there to linger over our meal - tables were empty, it was early, why the rush? - but eventually we were left alone. I should make a sign to wear when I go out to eat, DO NOT RUSH ME! (you know who you are, the other two places I will never step foot in again). Oh, and I forgot to mention - there is valet parking, very early in the evening, but when you go out, you know why, the place is packed. At least there isn't metered parking, as in the rest of New Rochelle. As you recall, I don't pay to park to eat.

So, where was I? Oh yes, we had a Groupon here too, BUT this is how a Groupon is supposed to be handled. There was NO grimace when I handed over the Groupon and it was explained what we could order. We got two glasses of wine, they were very good, one appetizer to split - more than enough - and two entrees, good and plenty of food.

We ordered an extra dessert to share, chocolate lava cake, and it was very good.

Overall, a very nice music. I'm no expert, but I thought that was salsa music being played towards the end of our meal.

I recommend Don Coqui in New Rochelle, and I would return.

Hello DeeDee,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such fantastic feedback. It really does make us happy to hear feedback such as yours, as this is why we work so hard! We can't wait to have you join us at one of our other establishments, City Island, as you mentioned or event White Plains (107 mamaroneck Ave)! Thank you again-- and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I have been to 2 other locations and the new Rochelle one is by far the worse of them all. Service was horrible we had one waiter for a party of 23 so all of our needs were not met . The food was disgusting and the portions are much smaller then the location in queens. The roast pork was so dry and had no flavor the lobster was over cooked the steak and chicken was also very dry. I am very disappointed because I have been to there other locations and have been pleased . New Rochelle location is very small and they rush you out . Waiter also over charged on bill lucky I caught it before it was to late. Don't waste your time or money here !!! Drinks are good...

Hello Sheneka,

First I want to sincerely apologize about the service you experienced while dining at our New Rochelle location. Thank you for your feedback-- we have already taken the necessary steps to ensure that this does not occur again. We also appreciate your patronage at our other establishments (White Plains, and City Island). We hope that you would give New Rochelle another shot. Don Coqui is family owned and operated, so feedback such as yours is very important in the growth and success of our business. I would like to personally invite you as my guests so you can see exactly what people have come to love about our family business. Please feel free to email me directly (jaleene@DonCoqui.tv).

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Here we go again, another potential GREAT night ruined. My wife and I just enjoyed a good dinner as expected at Don Coqui, $160 dining experience and then we had the MOST ridiculous thing happen at their bar. It was 10:15pm the band had just started playing and many people were sitting and drinking by the bar and before we realized it the security squad began telling everyone that they had to remove the chairs from the bar (Very Strange) mind you that even the security guys felt very uncomfortable doing this because they knew that many people were upset and did not understand why this was being done. Once the chairs were removed within 15 mins all the chairs were returned with a bizarre apology and a notice that the chairs were going to be removed once again when the dance floor got more crowded. As you would imagine many of those people who were displaced asked for the check and left, like myself. The sheer AUDACITY of the management at New Rochelle to not realize that when people sit at a bar they conversate, engage , and DRINK is truly mind blowing! Jimmy Rodriguez you need to figure out what you want Don Coqui to become when it grows up, continuing to ignore your customers is arrogant on your behalf and will eventually lead you down the same path as your former venture Jimmy Bronx Cafe, BTW I don't remember you ever having chairs taken at the bar back then, why would you allow this now? How do you believe that this is a good business practice? Keep in mind that your customers have choices and eventually stuff like this will take its toll. Jimmy it is not enough to just serve GREAT food, if that was all that people want then they would eat at their Abuelas house on the weekend, people go to your place because they want the complete dining experience which includes a GREAT ambiance, figure out what your business model before it's too late, Oh one more thing, how long will you continue to play MJ's greatest hits? Don't get me wrong it's nice music but people don't want to hear this over and over combined with the same old 80's disco tunes,
PLEASE GIVE US A BREAK!!!!

Finally this review is in no way a reflection on the staff at Don Coqui, I can honestly say that they do have great people working there who really want you to enjoy yourself while visiting, however it is a reflection on just how clueless the management is.

I would recommend to anyone who likes the food at Don Coqui to visit the Queens locations which is the identical food different owner but with common sense towards their customers.

Jaleene R, Owner at Don Coqui, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Hello Anthony,

We want to sincerely apologize about your experience with us. We understand how frustrating this may have been-- and can guarantee that this situation is not one that would be repeated. There are times when chairs are removed to make more space for guests. In this instance we understood that it was unnecessary and have taken steps to ensure that our guests are not only comfortable, but happy. In addition we want to apologize about your experience with our DJ. Throughout the night we play an assortment of different genre's of music; however, in addition we do take requests. Unfortunately what one may request, may not be desirable for another.

We hope that you would join us again, specifically as my guest. Please contact me directly Jaleene@DonCoqui.tv so that we can set something up for you and your wife.

Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

My family and I went there to celebrate my sisters 31st birthday..what a mistake! First we tried to book a reservation which became very complicated for them (I guess because we were a party of 9). When we get there I was disappointed at the door! It was like we walked into someone's basement!! The floors are run down and their decor is tacky, there was no one at the front desk or the door and we didn't know which way to go to be seated. Finally one of the servers runs passed us on his way out and tell us to go up the stairs. When we got upstairs I was disappointed to see that the floors were run down wooden (unfinished & squeaky). I can't believe people have described this place as upscale and sleek!!
Nothing like the photos online!
The music was horrible all night, How can a place be "Latin themed" and not play Latin music?
OMG.. The worse part was the women's bathroom which was in needed some serious attention!!!!
2 tiny stalls and the floors were peed!!!! and there was tissue everywhere! Too bad we hadn't noticed this until after dinner.
The food- The stuffed lobster was over cooked and the rice was flavorless! The roasted shredded pork wrapped in yucca sounds a lot better than it is... The pork was dry and wrapped in fried yucca (Also flavorless). I had to find the waitress and ask her to clean the table before we had desert! The kids ordered 3 of their Tres Leche cake (which was drowned in a bowl that was filled half-way with milk) and one Chocolate Lava cake (it's really a chocolate cup cake sprinkled with confectioners sugar) They forgot one desert!! We waited five minutes thinking that the server went to get another, we called the waitress over and had to wait for the forth cake. After running up a $700 bill we wanted to order another round of drinks to celebrate the occasion..then the waitress tells us that she was not allowed serve us anything else because we had already paid!! I was stunned when she said we would have to go sit at the lounge! We reminded her that we had 5 children with us and she said there was nothing she could do and that they were going to be needing the table for other guests!!! The manager seemed inexperienced and was rushing to seat the next group, didn't smile or say thank you nor did he ask about our experience. After that we were completely ignored by the staff making us feel as if we over stayed our welcome. Bad service, bad music, bad vibe! Never again!!!

1  Thank Mad_Mad521