“Awesome”

Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Don Coqui is becoming one of my favorite places. The food is really good; the drinks are always strong; and music is on point..

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Don Coqui in New Rochelle is an excellent restaurant and nightclub. The decor is nice and the seating is comfortable. It has a lounge area, bar, and dining area that transforms into a dance floor after dinner.

The food was amazing. We had heard so many great things about Don Coqui, but had to experience it for ourselves. The portions are big and they were served by the nicest waitstaff. When it was time to party, the Dj had most of the place on their feet. With a seamless mix between old school and new school, there was something for everyone. The drinks were a little pricey, but it was worth being in NY and in a nice club.

If you are looking to go out and have a great time with family and friends, this is the place for you.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Don Coqui in New Rochelle : The food is very tasty i always get the salmon with yuca mash and veggies. The churrasco with black bean morro is also very good.The portions are very LARGE .

They have a large selection of drinks, cocktails, mojitos , frozen drinks and red and white sangria. The red sangria is my absolute favorite. The pricing is average for food but in my opinions the drinks are too expensive.

The service is not so great there are a lot of rude unprofessional waiters there. The Music is very loud at all times. Some people just want to have a nice dinner and a glass of wineand not leave with a headache.

On Friday and sat night it gets incredibly crowded the dinning room tables and chairs get cleared out little by little so by 11pm -> the floor becomes available for dancing. The place gets PACKED, therefore not leaving enough room to really sit down relax and have a drink. There have been many celebrities appearances. A new Don Coqui restaurant just opened up in White Plains N.Y. Heard it was very nice. I recommend this place to all because the food really is great.

They are NOT affiliated with Don Coqui in Queens !!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Is there some unwritten rule which mandates that all ethnic Latino restaurants must be loud and noisy with obtrusive music?? Well, this one is no different, and unlike some others with great food, it's not even worth the "experience".
First of all, it's difficult to find! (Although once you do, you wonder how you missed it!) The address on the Groupon is incorrect. Even after we discovered this, we still had to call three times. Fortunately, the person answering the phone was very polite and patient.
The front desk is polite and helpful, and actually most of the staff were - just not OUR waiter. We sat in the bar area because of the high stools (my friend is very tall). The first waiter was helpful and had no problem with this. However, our ultimate waitress, told us that if we were using a Groupon we had to sit in the "dining room" - right beside the bar! What?! Just as I was considering driving to White Plains, she changed her mind and said it was OK and we could sit there. The place was practically empty! And it's a STUPID rule! There was no one else in the bar area, so maybe she didn't want to work - she was actually the bartender. We tried to explain to her that the "other waiter" who had initially helped us didn't tell us there was such a rule, but she snidely referred to him as "just a server" who didn't know.
We ordered cocktails because we wanted cocktails, but the waitress didn't bother to tell us that wine came with the Groupon. I wanted both, but my friend said that she wouldn't have ordered the cocktail if she knew about the wine. OK, it's on the coupon, but if you're going to give me a rundown on what's included, do it properly!
The food was average. The crispy marinated pork wasn't crispy; the shredded pork in yuca looked like spring rolls and were very bland; the mofongo was dry and the sauce was overly salty. The oxtails were OK, but really could've had more seasoning and been spicier. The ceviche was nice - after you salted it. The tres leche was only tolerable because it was sweet. However, the waiter/bartended did make a really nice cosmo!
The waiter tried to verbally give us a total (for the extras ordered), and I had to adamantly insist on a written bill. After which she disovered that she was charginf us extra for someone else's order. Further, she charged us 20% gratuity - she KNEW her service was bad! - and said that that was "standard" at the bar. Not so! When we told her that that was usually for large groups (we were just two), she then offered to take it off "if we wanted her to". Really? We ended up paying almost $100 for 3 cocktails, a salad and an (extra appetizer)! Really!
The bartender was the problem. Her overall attitude was poor from the beginning and really just put a bit of a damper on our evening - after driving all the way from Norwalk just to be able to say we dined out in New Rochelle. I can accept mediocre food - and nothing was really bad - but not when it's coupled with haughty, scamming service. It may have been just this waitress, because the others seemed really OK and pleasant, but I can't say for sure - so I won't risk it again.

1  Thank Amnesty1
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I had never been here before even though I have driven by here a thousand times on my way to get on 95. Saw a groupon and took advantage. At first, we were seated and waited a few minutes for menus and got a little nervous, but once our waiter came over, it got much, much better. I ordered the chicken empanadas and chicken with rice. My date got a starter salad and the grilled salmon. The portions are enormous. I ate the entire empanada appetizer and my date his entire salad. I barely made a dent in my chicken and rice, there was so much. It was delicious. My date finished his entire meal and loved it. Highly recommend. Beautiful restaurant, looks like a restaurant in manhattan.