“A lovely place, to be cherished”

Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
New York City, New York
“A lovely place, to be cherished”
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I have been going to Mohonk Mountain House for the past thirty years. My first stay was on my honeymoon and then I returned every few years thereafter for getaways - to write, to unwind with my husband, to spend quality time with my daughter. As a result, it is a special part of many significant memories.

I love this place -- a rambling castle in the Hudson Valley. There is nothing else quite like it. In many ways it is like traveling in time (backward to more civilized, Victorian days) or getting a taste of Europe without the hassle of a long flight.

The grounds are magnificent. There are endless outdoor activities. There is also great appeal to staying indoors and sitting by one of the large fireplaces in the Lake Lounge, cup of tea and a book at hand. The rooms are charming and scrupulously clean. Comfortable beds, lovely coverlets, soft sheets, plump pillows...ahhh. Lakeside accommodations have the most wonderful view. (Mountainside rooms are nice but less thrilling.) The food is terrific. Lots of fresh produce, well-prepared main dishes, salads, fresh breads and abundant desserts. I remember decades back when jello was one of the desserts served and the slogan about the demographic was "for newly weds and nearly deads" -- neither of which is true anymore. With the expanded Spa, a new range of people are attracted to the hotel.

The building is old -- so a little grace is required. Don't expect it to match a brand new hotel.

Yes, it is expensive, but the price is all-inclusive and covers a lot. it is worth saving up and giving yourself the treat of a night or two on the mountain top. Just be open to this unique experience. You won't regret it.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank antoniasorenson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Very disappointed in this hotel/resort. We paid $630 a night for a room with no TV, shotty customer service and rude staff. The grounds are beautiful and there are fun activities, but you don't get what you are paying for.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Schnitzrif
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Spent one night at Mohonk over Valentine's weekend. The food just can't be beat - it is absolutely devine. Get the mushroom ravioli for dinner - to die for! The only complaints we had were you had to pay extra to use the hot mineral bath if you didn't have spa appointments during your stay. We felt that we spent $700 for an overnight which should have covered everything....it was absurd to charge us an additional $40 to use the mineral bath. The other negative was the tea served at 4 PM in the afternoon. It is a very casual event and there are kids EVERYWHERE. It would have been nice to have an event catered to adults and not kids running in and out in snow gear eating cookies and spilling hot cocoa. The skating facility is wonderful - we loved it. I would go back but as an adult getaway I would not recommend going in the summer when I'm sure it's overrun by kids.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Resumegal
ny
Reviewed February 17, 2011

we had been looking forward to this trip for a very long time and were so excited to finally discover Mohonk. It was a big financial effort but we thought we would have an amazing stay. Guess what ? it was overall a disappointing experience. Yes, the spa is wonderful, yes the swimming pool is amazing, the ice skating rink is great and the cross country skying was amazing, but we expected more. We spent 1500 usd for the bedroom (which was victorian and very nice) but could not start a fire because the wood was wet. The fireplace was the reason we paid for the victorian tower room !!! We expected a lot from the food but it was nothing more than a casual buffet with disgusting chocolate deserts and cantine food. Pay 1500 usd for that ??? Never again and I will not recommend the place (unless people are willling to get broke for no reason).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank dodiloo
New York
Reviewed February 11, 2011

You don't have to go all the way to Europe to stay in a mountain castle with old world charm. There is one just a quick drive away. After years of hearing about this sprawling estate in the foothills of the Catskill mountains, we decided to celebrate New Years at the Mohonk Mountain House. Overall, it was a fantastic experience. We were only at the hotel for 48 hours and packed them full with the massive arrange of activities offered. We enjoyed the indoor pool, got pedicures at the spa, ice skated, hiked, watched a blacksmith demonstration and visited their sunny greenhouses. Both the daily lunch buffets and evening full service meals were pretty good. The menu's change and the servers were very attentive. The cuisine can afford to be a bit more creative and take some risks, but everything we ate was satisfactory.

My favorite thing about Mohonk is the setting. When we arrived, the lake was frozen and snow lined the many hiking trails. Most of them were closed for the season, but the accessible trails were worth braving the cold. Rustic wooden gazebos and benches line the lake front and dot the trails. You'll be hard pressed to find a spot that doesn't offer a breathtaking view. The hotel itself has sweeping wrap around porches with plenty of rocking chairs and viewfinders. I also loved that they keep a book on the first floor to record your own nature sightings. I saw a number of birds and deer and was able to leave a record of their presence. Mohonk offers the nicest ice skating rink I have been to. Set under a stone pavilion, the large rink boasts an imposing fire place at one end and beautiful lake vistas at the other. A few "Victorian Chairs" are kept on the ice to aid people learning to skate, but they are often enjoyed by those just looking to sit and enjoy a ride.

On the down side, the check in time is rather late, and if you arrive early, you have to pay a rather hefty meal fee if you want to eat. Most meals and activities are included in your stay but some aren't. They have a wonderful coffee shop that offers a nice selection of beverages and pastries. Anything here is an additional purchase. Activities such as weekend golf, horseback riding, biking, carriage rides, fly fishing, rock climbing, caving are also additional. There are a lot of included activities to enjoy, but as a travel agent that sells a lot of all inclusive experiences, it always bugs me a bit when all inclusives have asterisks on their services. Especially at over $800 per night for 3 people.

This really is a place to check out for a romantic weekend, family vacation or even a girls or boys trip. We can't wait to return in the summer as Mohonk has great offerings for all seasons.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank RobynPringTravel
toestrip
Reviewed February 6, 2011

$4000 for 4 nights in the middle of the week in June? Bananas!

I was Married at Mohonk in 2004 - a small wedding about 40 people. It was a great experience. We were there the last weekend the lake was open for swimming and even though it was freezing we had a dip. Got married by the Ice Skating rink... and guests stayed in various rooms. It was great. And my wife (then girlfriend) and I had been twice before that as well, always loved it.

After our son was Born a year and 1/2 later I've been excited about bringing him there, maybe some time during the week in the summer.

However... the prices have gone absolutely through the roof to the point of absurdity. When we got married the rooms were 350-450 / night during the week.

NOW THEY WANT $800 for a standard room for a family of 3. And they won't even allow us opt for cheaper rooms - because in their opinion they'd be to small for two adults and a 5 year old. (An insulting grab for even more money) By the way they charge an additional 19% gratuity!?!?.... that plus NYS tax increases their already mental patient quality costs by almost 30%. As I said above... 4 days... during the week in early June... was quoted as $4000. And anyone who's eaten their can tell you the food is at best mediocre... which would be fine if the price were right.

I guess they're making money from someone. There's one born every minute after all. I'd just go as a day or meal pass person, but they don't let you swim in the lake... which is half the fun.

The sad part is that if it was even remotely reasonable, I'd go their again. I'm not looking for a bargain by the way - I'm not a pauper... but I'm not a sucker either. $1000 / night gets you into places like Lake Placid Lodge , or a trans-atlantic cruise on the Queen mary (which includes meals too, by the way, and much better ones)

Just disappointed that this lovely place is now shackled by deluded pricing... it would have been fun.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
9 Thank Bill M
WHITE PLAINS
Reviewed February 5, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a two day mini-cation at Mohonk Mountain House. This is a truly unique place. The hotel is a Victorian wonder with many interconnected buildings. We stayed in a Victorian room on the top floor with a fireplace and view of the lake. This place is not for everyone. There are no televisions in the rooms. The place is rambling and eccentric. (Think "The Shining." ) The furniture in our room consisted entirely off antiques, some of which had scratch marks which only contributed to the authenticity in my mind, but might put off people who are only used to modern hotels.
The rooms are expensive, although three meals a day are included. For the physically active, there is a beautiful ice skating rink and a ski shop which provides cross country skis and snow shoes. We chose to stick to the road and only walked to the greenhouses, which are beautiful and warm and filled with exotic plants. The spa is fabulous. We particularly liked sitting in the outdoor mineral bath with snow more than a foot high all around us and snow flakes gently falling at 6 pm in the evening.

There are many activities throughout the day. I took a yoga class. (I was the only person in the class.) My husband and I both used the well appointed gym which has about 7 precor treadmills, 5 ellipticals and a variety of weight machines and free weights. There are nature walks and nature lectures and a movie every evening.

The food is very good--not haute gourmet, but quite good with a good variety of choices.
The hotel has many public rooms with fireplaces and comfortable chairs to sit and read for a while, although we preferred sitting in our room with a roaring fire.

If you are looking for a unique and restful vacation, try Mohonk. They run many theme weekends throughout the year and are currently offering several mid-week special offers. We chose the Spa-cation. I would love to come back in the summer when the walking trails are open and you can swim in the lake.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!