“romantic-relaxing--for a price” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
New York City, New York
“romantic-relaxing--for a price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

Romantic anniversary weekend at Mohonk. We had been there many years before-
before kids and increased life expenses. The weather was wonderful-a necessity,
considering indoor activities are limited. We enjoyed a great early morning hike around
the property with a naturalist, long walks on the trails (from gazebo to gazebo) including
a hike up to the 'castle' overlooking the mountain house and lake, a terrific guided trek
through a maze of rock climbs and squeeze-thru passages(be in good shape for that one) and a maasage at the quiet,peaceful spa. All included,except for the spa of course.If your looking for action excitement or gambling or even good evening activities,look elsewhere. The lake is lovely and large and boats are available. The meals were ok,not 'Oh my g-d' but the setting is beautiful. We couln't afford to bring our
kids but then I wouldn't to a place like this. All in all- its an expensive but very romantic
place,if the weather is good and you have more than $1,000 bucks to spend on a 2 day
vacation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank walkaholictraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Korean first
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

We recently stayed at Mohonk for two nights (Sunday and Monday.)

I had been there once before about ten years ago and remembered it as being beautiful and very memorable, it is obviously still beautiful (what a spot!), however, our stay was memorable mostly in a disappointing fashion.

First off, we were extremely put off by the added on service charge, tax and gratuity upon check out, which came to an additional $200. My understanding on the phone had been that the $398 "hot date" rate I was quoted INCLUDED all gratuities. In fact, the reservation agent made a big show of the fact that, upon arrival, one would not have to offer up any tips, gratuities, etc. while on site, that it was all included. So, the additional amount upon check out was surprising and disappointing.

Our accommodations were in the new part of the hotel, facing the mountains. While fine, these rooms are nothing special and aren't particularly quaint, just plain. The bed was quite comfortable though and the bathroom was new, with a rain head shower. And there is a lovely porch with two rockers.

I must say, I was surprised at some of the clientele, considering the high rack rate. There were many poorly dressed people roaming around and many men were not wearing jackets at dinner, which is strongly suggested and mentioned in print extensively. When I mentioned this to the dining captain, he told us that the dining room staff tries their best to make people feel inadequate without a jacket, but that the policy is hard to enforce. Really? How about the "no tickey, no laundry" policy. That should work! No jacket, no food. Come on! If you indicate the policy in your literature, enforce it. Did it ever occur to the management that some of us actually enjoy getting dressed up for dinner in this super-casual age and that we expect our fellow diners to be dressed appropriately as well. We even saw one young man wearing a baseball cap at dinner. That is offensive. My thought is that Mohonk is trying to come off as an upscale resort, to lure the upscale buck, but when you actually get there, it has more of a day-tripper feel.

With regard to day trippers, there are too many of them and it takes away from the ambience, rushing for the free cookies at 4:00 pm as if they expected never to eat again and taking every available rocker on the porch at the lake and generally just wandering around the hotel.

The spa is fine, we did not have massage services, just paid $20 pp to use the outdoor "mineral pool." It's a jacuzzi for Heavens' sake! The jacuzzi is only free of charge if you have a spa treatment.

The only completely free spa amenity is the indoor pool, which is lovely. There is adult only swim for one hour in the morning. Frankly, adult swim should be longer than just one hour. How about one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening? It doesn't seem fair to cater to the children, instead of the adults.

The food while good, was certainly not outstanding. I had recalled it being better from my previous visit about 10 years ago. They ran out of several things, which was disappointing, again, considering the rates. This really shouldn't happen at all, and we got the feeling that it happens often. I say this because the wait staff seemed very casual about it.

The wait staff was decent, but not great. Extremely slow with beverages and long disappearances between courses.

The breakfast and lunch buffet were fine, again, not outstanding.

All in all, I think Mohonk is a disappointment, considering the cost. Yes, it is a very historical place that everyone should see once, but I felt that they are resting on their laurels and I expected more of a high end hospitality and lodging experience than I got.

And, beware, if the weather is inclement, there is little to do, so be prepared to do lots of snuggling. If this is an issue for you, Mohonk might not be your best option.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Parrotthead
Atlantic Beach, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

Upon arrival we were greeted by the valet with the words" you can't park here, just wait in line and we will get to eventually." The front of the hotel looked like some kind of a Chinese fire drill with everyone running around with no place to go. It took me a few minutes to get the valet to just take my car keys so that my wife and I tired after a long drive could just go check in. We managed to navigate the kids running and screaming by the front door and make it to the front desk where we were told that they have been very busy do that the room may not be ready for "quite some time" so we should just go leave our luggage in the luggage room and go meander around for a while. While most of the staff was friendly, we found them not helpful in the manner that we had come to expect when staying in high end resorts. We got yelled at when we were meandering around for taking a couple of cookies from a tray before the "official" start of tea time at 4:00PM. While strolling around we noticed quite a diverse group of people that were staying here. they were certainly not the well heeled crowd that we were expecting at a pricey place like this. And the place was teeming with kids! We have nothing against kids, if you are looking for a romantic getaway with your spouse without kids screaming this is not the place to go.

The grounds are lovely, and so are parts of the hotel interior. We were fortunate enough to have one of the newer rooms in the newer part of the hotel and it was adequate, but not by any stretch luxurious. The views made up for the amenities lacking in the room.

We did have a nice dinner. The food was above average, but not by any means outstanding. It was the caliber that you might expect to get on a luxury cruise line where you can tell that they are trying to do it right, but it's damn near impossible when you are serving so many people at that same time. After complaining to the waitress that my veal dish tasted like a dried out hockey puck, she was nice enough to bring me the roast duck which was quite good. The best part of the stay was the breakfast buffet. We couldn't tell you what the lunch buffet was like since we were more anxious to leave the resort than to hang around and find out.

In summary. For the price you pay to stay at this resort it does not deliver. I can think of better things to do with $600 for a night. We won't be going back anytime soon.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank jeffCT
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

Ok. I've been coming to Mohonk with my family since I was a really little kid as sort of, the ultimate treat. It's not cheap and it's not meant to be a quick overnight stop. It's a whole get-away, a whole experience, and a PERFECT one. They've got lots of rustic, mountain-y activities going on all day, no matter what time of year (there is a detailed daily list of events up by the check in desk): an indoor pool with music underwater!, an ice skating rink in the winter, boating, hiking, and a beach in the summer, a library, an amazing spa (which isn't free but isn't too expensive either), board games, live music and dancing at least once a week, beautiful patios and views, afternoon tea, mini-golf and I think regular golf although I've never tried it, and THE BEST FOOD EVER. I mean, really, just amazing amazing food that is just not the kind of thing you eat ever day. If you go in the late spring or summer, there's a BBQ cookout with literally everything you could possibly want and more. But what makes Mohonk really stellar, is the service. When you're there, you are treated royally. You are always just made to feel like a king/queen. To me, that's what really differentiates this place from others. I've been going for years and years and never met a person who wasn't enamoured with it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dinnerlove
Holbrook, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

In a nutshell, we love this place. We have been bringing my daughter and her fiance here with us for three years straight. All told, my wife and I have been here a have dozen time spanning a 20 year period.

Mohonk has magically been able to retain a timeless, Victorian feel while keeping the facilities modern and fresh. You cannot beat the outdoor experience there. If you can't get into the hiking, boating and simple peace, this is not the place for you. For those of you willing to slow down, relax and enjoy the incredible beauty then you will love this place.

1. The rooms are fine... clean, sufficient in size and properly equipped (yes, there is descent WiFi for free). Don't expect to walk into a modern Ritz Carlton experience.
2. The food is good but nothing spectacular. The wine list is OK and priced fairly. The breakfast buffets are very nice and the baked goods are very fresh and varied. I agree that you will tend to overeat if you partake of the lunch buffets.
3. The spa is great. Wonderfully modern and clean. I have had great massages there. They are so relaxing that I feel like I am in a dream state afterward. Highly, highly recommended!
4. If you want to swim, go to the adult swim in the AM. The pool area is very nice, especially when there are not a lot of screaming kids around.
5. Give the quirky entertainment a try. You will read the description in the daily planner and think... boring... but you will be wrong. Suspend your thoughts about glitzy entertainment and give them a try. It is fun, "homey" and all that you need after a long day of intensive activity. We have rarely been disappointed.
6. I think this place is perfect for a long weekend (2-3) nights.

Overall, we recommend this place. Yes it is expensive but, in our opinion, it is worth the cost. I can't think of another place like it anywhere. We feel lucky that it is only a 3 hour ride away. Wish we could go there more often and will go back, again, next year.

2 Thank mitchm11741
connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

Although we did not stay overnight the grounds and the luncheon buffet are enough to get the idea that this place is top guns all the way. From the attention to the smallest detail to the restoration of this historic gem, NY state has done an excellent job of making this a vacation destination, whether it be for a romantic weekend or a day trip for a good meal and a relaxing stroll about the meticulously attended grounds.
Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank mushroommarlene
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

The grounds were absoultely beautiful. The hotel was very nice. The room we had was nice, but not worth the $$ per night. Breakfast was buffet and very good. lunch at the Granary was very good, formal dinner food was ok, not outstanding. They did run out of desserts! The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Would go back again just wouldn't book such an expensive room.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Paltz
#1 of 1 in Ellenville
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!