“Beautiful grounds, but the rooms are a dive.”

and 1 more site!
Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed June 21, 2010

We booked a room for our CEO and sales rep for a meeting taking place the next day. They charged $610 for the room, then added 15% gratuity and NY state tax, making the bill around $750. The room ended up being super small, smelled gross, only had one outlet, was majorly outdated (looked they hadn't changed the linens in 20 years), and the beds were too short (our sales rep is 6 ft tall, granted). They decided to stay at a Hampton 45 minutes down the road which ended up being a much better deal all around. The staff was very nice about it and gave a full refund, and it must be said the grounds are spectacular, but the rooms definitely aren't worth what you pay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed June 12, 2010

My sister and I just returned from a 3 day stay at this glorious place. Even though the hotel has quite a history, we were delighted to see how immaculately clean everything was. The location is stunning--the hiking spectacular--and the spa was luxurious. An elegant hotel in a rustic setting with beauty all around. This was my first visit, but not my last!

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed June 9, 2010

From the clay and Har-Tru tennis courts and tennis program to the spa, the food, the rooms, the friendly staff, the endless hiking, the relaxing atmosphere.....Mohonk is unique and GLORIOUS!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Have been to this delightful resort four times over the past year-and-a-half. As beautiful as it is -- and it truly is -- the service is even more exceptional. The grace and courtesy shown by all staffers is so distinctive it's as if you wandered into Shangr-la.

Wonderful with young children as well, which is quite welcome. Would come here every season if I could..

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Stayed for 3 days after taking 2 bar exams to unwind, totally did the trick! Their spa services are the best I have ever experienced - the head and neck massage melted away any bit of tension I had in my whole body, seriously! Our room was cute, a bit antique looking, but we loved having a fireplace in the room. Great cross country/ snowshoeing trails, and really the most hospitable, attentive, and knowledgeable staff around. The food was ok, but I imagine when cooking for such a large number of people (the place is enormous!) some flavor and quality is lost. Regardless, I would definitely want to go back in the warmer months and try some of their hiking trails.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cape_nyc10
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We visited the Mohonk Mountain House on an overnight stay with another couple. It was our third time at the hotel and the first for our friends. From the moment we entered the grounds it was picture perfect. We stayed in one of the updated traditional rooms with a queen bed, decent in size with incredible mountain views. The bathroom was sparkling clean which is in my opinion the mark of a good hotel. Everything from the valet parking to the checkout went smoothly. The entire staff is so friendly and helpful and knowledgeable. For example, I was standing in a hallway and a staff member passed by, stopped and asked me if I needed help in anyway. I didn't but thanked him for inquiring. If you are walking and meet a staff member, they stop and let you pass in front of them. They really make you feel happy to be there. The food at all the inclusive meals was superb. My husband and I thought it was the best in our experiences at the hotel. We hiked, went out on the lake in a rowboat, walked the beautiful grounds and garden and just totally relaxed in one of the many rocking chairs on the expansive porch overlooking the lake. There was some entertainment in the evening which was also delightful. The resort was not crowded, perhaps due to the time of year. This may have also contributed to our total feeling of relaxation as well as no TV in the rooms. We did not use t he Spa facilities or indoor pool, but they both looked inviting. Perhaps the next time. I will say the prices are high but we took advantage of a great special deal which they seem to offer various times of the year. This is the only way we can visit Mohonk. Our friends were totally impressed and made the statement that they could not find one negative thing to say about their stay. We all want to visit again.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CATRNJ
Reviewed May 14, 2010

I have stayed at Mohonk a number of times over the past several years, and to those who write negative reviews (complaining about, among other things, lack of TVs & wi-fi, small rooms, type/quality of food, cost, etc.) I have this to say: You just don't seem to get it. This place is not Disney World; it is not about entertaining you every single minute with modern digital distractions and the latest trendy food and drinks. What it IS about, is giving the thoughtful traveler a place for reflection, relaxation, and regeneration, in a truly historic 19th-century setting. Leave your laptops at home. Forget about TV for a while. Take a walk and enjoy the spectacular scenery. Enjoy excellent food and good wine. Slow down and partake of an OLD-FASHIONED vacation. This is a beautiful, historic hotel with old-fashioned family charm, standing resplendent in the middle of private nature preserve, owned by the same family for a century and a half. If you are looking for a slick, glitzy, ultra-modern resort, go elsewhere--this is not the place for you. But if you can leave the rush of your everyday modern lives behind for a while, come here to soak up the ambiance of a slower time long past. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!