“Absolutely Worth It!!”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Savannah, Georgia
“Absolutely Worth It!!”
Reviewed January 27, 2007

Mohonk Mountain House is located on thousands of acres of property. The rates are not cheap for the cost of a room BUT you get 85 miles of hiking trails, indoor pool, theme programs on the weekend, bike paths, ice skating, snow tubing, x-country skiing, swimming in the lake,golf,boating,fishing...(all depending on the time of the year of course) They also include 3 meals a day as well as afternoon tea and cookies.

The hotel was built in the mid 1800s and has been owned by the same family since then.There is so much history (check out the barn museum)

Some of the rooms need to be renovated but it could be much worse and they have rooms that are beautiful.It just depends on how much you are willing to pay.When i went i didnt get the best room ( I paid about $400/nigiht) BUT it was fine becuase i knew i wouldnt be in my room most of the time.Just to sleep.I spent the rest of the time out on the trails, hiking,rock scrambling,going to the spa,horseback riding...my husband and i had a BLAST.

I would reccomend this hotel for people who are active and enjoy being outside.Those who like to get their hands dirty but still like to sit down and enjoy a nice dinner in the evening. Its a great getaway and not far from Manhattan. If you like to stay in your room while you are on vacation,if you dont like to be outside,you may want to try a different hotel.

As for the prices you are quoted when you reserve, isnt that their job?To get you to pay the most money you can?The hotel is there to make MONEY.Not to give you tons of discounts.They want to make you happy but they do need to stay in business to do that. If you think the rate is too high then just ASK for a discount!!! Dont take it personal.Thats their job.

• Liked — The history of the hotel,the activities and the amazing staff!
  • Disliked — The weather but nobody could control that.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank TheTrvlPrincess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Korean first
boston
Reviewed January 27, 2007

This place is a dump. Friends of ours and us planned a family weekend in August for the end of January. At the time we explained how picky we were and wanted the best possible room. How surprised we all were to find our unrenovated rooms when we checked in. Peeling wallpaper, sagging beds, peeling paint in the bathrooms and my personal favorite roaches!!!!!

We spoke with a manager immediately and were told the hotel was toatlly booked for the weekend and they could not accomodate our room change request. I guess the rest of the guests must have reserved their rooms in February of last year.

but that wasn't all.....

At lunch the next day we requested some cheese from a waiter at the buffet since the food that was put out was mostly finished. Instead of the yes sir/mam you would expect from a 900 dollar a night room, we were given a sorry what is out is all we have. Of course when we asked a different hostess the cheese magically appeared.

Or maybe the fact that our party including children was seated by the kitchen and "couldn't be moved all weekend" so when the kids needed to get up the were constanly mowed down by waiters.

Or maybe the fact that dinner is served at 6:30pm, but the kids movie night starts at 7:00pm so don't expect the dinning room to accomodate you with a 6:15pm early meal for the kids its rush and swallow.

Of course the best is at the end when you find out, "gratuity is added" means "gratuity will be added" I love the ambiguity.

Grand Total is 1100.00 per night room tax and gratutity. Do yourself a favor, go for a weekend at the Penninsula in NYC it has a pool, great clean linens and most importantly a staff that actually cares.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
16 Thank drgmBoston
LI
Reviewed January 16, 2007

Is this place gorgeous? YES
Is it worth it? On the fence on this one. Only if you get a special.

Be careful about your reservation. If you call the property directly, they will quote you the highest rate possible. They won't even let you know there is a special going on. I think this is deceiving. No first class operation would do this.
I was quoted a $535 rate for a one night stay.

I mentioned there was a special on the property website. The agent played dumb and said Oh yes yes yes "You're absolutely right" New Rate? $235!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buyer Beware.

Stayed March 2006
7 Thank LItraveler21
Hudson Valley
Reviewed December 13, 2006

Wonderful relaxing atmosphere, outstanding service, massage and outstanding food. A King bed, fireplace and balconey on the top floor. Magical ! One of the most memorable places to stay.

Stayed November 2006
2 Thank Letsgetway
NYC area
Reviewed December 13, 2006

We have stayed and many 5 star resorts and hotels both domestically and abroad and this place ranks close to the top among them. Its not 5 star luxury but thats not what it is. Its supposed to be a MOUNTAIN HOUSE, people ! Not the Four Seasons !

Family of 2 adults and 3 kids (8,6,5). And we all had a great time. Kids loved the Kids Camp. Counselors were all fantastic and very capable. Pool facility was great and my kids were in it every day. If it were more crowded, a lifeguard may be necessary but often times, my kids were the only ones in the pool. The new Ice Skating pavilion is fantastic and well run. The Spa staff was professional and friendly and my wife and I were both extremely happy with the treatments we got. First Class experience.The trail to Sky Top was fine for my kids but any younger and you may be carrying somone at some point. And what great views ! Not sure of the other trails but they seemed great too.

The food was great and the waitstaff ranks among the best I had ever come across. I was surprised how good they were for being such as young staff. No doubt it was from the guidance of the senior wait captains and Maitre'D's who went out of their way at every turn to see to our needs.

The porch by the lake was the best and they have some MONSTER trout in there right by the house. You can buy some trout food for 10 cents and feed the fish. My kids really enjoyed that. . As an avid fisherman, it was torture. You cannot fish off the porch or by the house. These are some trophy sized fish. No joke.

Everyone from the restroom porters to the managers were very friendly and accommodating. This is a kid-friendly resort but their are rules such as no running or shouting in the halls. Some parents allow their children to run around the halls and jump down stairs and run through the dining room. If you are one of those parents, please go somewhere else. Its disrespectful to other guests and quite frankly reflects badly on you as parents if your kids run around without any consideration for others. Only a very small number of kids fell into this category during our visit. I would imagine (hope) they were asked to either leave or checked out.

I have been reading some comments here about people unimpressed because of the price or because they were not allowed on the property. Well, as a paying customer, I dont think you should be allowed to roam the property with your pets using the grounds as a personal toilet for free while I pay top dollar to use this property. The guard is doing his job. I am paying to keep you out. If you want to see it, pay for a spa treatment or something and come on to the property. Or better yet come on to the internet. Leave Fido home. Sheesh. Everyone wants something for nothing !!!

As far as price. Yes, it is expensive. But its not like they are forcing you to stay here or they jacked up the price during your stay. You knew the price coming in, so stop whining ! The place is ususally completely booked for the whole summer and much of the winter so there are plenty of folks who do want to pay. Your tax dollars are not supporting this place. You are NOT ENTITLED to use this property unless you are a paying guest.

The only con was that I thought the beds were too soft for my liking but I did not mind too much.

Bottom line is that we had a great time at a great facility with great staff ! We will be back very soon.

• Liked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Take a house tour
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
10 Thank gdf
New England
Reviewed November 23, 2006

Before I start to write, I have to admit up front two things. First, our family has been going to Mohonk off and on for more than 60 years. Second, if there is one quality I value above all else in travel, it is authenticity.

We just returned from our most recent trip to Mohonk. It has been nearly ten years since our last visit. As the General Manager explained to me when I dropped into her office to introduce myself, the goal of the management is to make improvements, but to be sure that the essential character of the place is preserved. I would say that they have really suceeded in meeting that goal.

The recent additions of the spa and pool as well as the ice skating pavilion have been executed with great refinement and thoughtfulness. The grounds are as beautifully kept as ever. How many resorts can boast 7000 beautiful acres crisscrossed by groomed, well-marked hiking and riding trails with literally hundreds of quaint log gazebos?

Other reviewers have complained about the furnishings...keep in mind that many, if not most, of them are the orginal Victorian items...dressers, chairs etc. If you want new expensive luxe surroundings, this is not the place for you.

Other reviewers have also complained about the food. I agree that it is not top notch but it is just fine, and somehow it seems perfectly appropriate to the overall character of the place. A few people complained about the breakfast buffet. Maybe they did not realize that you can order anything you want from the kitchen, and I think that's true for any meal with proper notice.

We love the various activities offered at the resort. Our weekend was a family reunion of sorts. The Friday evening square dance was a great hit for both the little ones and the older people in our family. Sometimes there are lectures or chamber music concerts.

We had brought with us some old family films, including footage of Mohonk in the 1940's, that had been transcribed years ago from 16mm onto a VCR tape. The resort followed through on our last minute request to have a quiet place and the right equipment to view these as a family.

We shared a hallway on the top floor of the hotel with a celebrity family. So low key and unobtrusive is the service at the hotel that the only evidence of our neighbors was the discreet presence of a few secret service agents who left the door of their room open to keep an eye on the hall.

Finally, I note several reviewers complaining about the cost of Mohonk. It is indeed expensive but I don't feel fleeced. I think the cost reflects the extraordinary costs of maintaining a unique property like this. I also find it reassuring that the resort is owned and operated by a family owned corporation which concentrates on one property rather than a corporation that owns hundreds of hotels.

My well-travelled, five year old grandaugher put it well when she said, " I like it here much better than Club Med or the Four Seasons." There may indeed be a time and an occasion for the Four Seaons...but for me, there will always be a time for the peace and relaxation I find at Mohonk.

• Liked — Historic character, scenery
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
11 Thank kbarch
New York
Reviewed November 16, 2006

Last month we made Brunch reservation for 12 people at Monhonk Mountain. The food was fine but the manager who was working the room was either racist or extremely rude to Chinese people. We were the only Asians in that room. Besides our table, there were only 6 other tables that were occupied. Those tables all had Caucasian guests. He went to every one of those tables to ask about their food and their day. He playfully teased the little kids in those tables. Because of what we saw, we expected him to come to our table. He didn't. When he was done with the other tables, he stood around the food area and then he left. All the adults in our table were very offended. I spoke to management and they said it was unintentional. They believed the manager's words. I want to know if other Asians had such an experience at Monhonk Mountain. After that experience, I would not recommend the place to anyone.

Stayed October 2006
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!