Mohonk Mountain House
Hampton.com
$100
Econo Lodge(New Paltz)
$68
New Paltz Hostel(New Paltz)
$58
$89
$209
Priceline
2,157 results
All reviewsice skatingrocking chairsvictorian roomovernight gueststhree meals a daykids clubhiking trailsspa treatmentsindoor poolworking fireplacebuffet stylesmiley familyvisited mohonklemon squeezecarriage loungepaddle boatsrock scramble
Reviewed February 17, 2010

My wife and I overall enjoyed our stay at MMH, but it certainly required some adjustment on our part. Our Victorian-style room was very charming with a truly wonderful working fireplace, nicely appointed, cozy and with a very comfortable bed. Room negatives: awful view (complained and got a discounted rate 25% off), tiny and spartan bathroom with a miniscule tub. Honestly, we almost left after checking in to our room based mostly on the obscene prices for the size and nature of the room.
Staff was very nice and helpful.
Food was abundant and mostly fantastic. We had a few misses, but with 4-course dinners and gigantic buffets, it didn't matter much - we still overate to the point of pain.
Staying here is a different kind of experience. The activities, views, and history are what it is about. We went ice skating repeatedly and were surprised at how much we enjoyed it.
The spa was a wonderful experience - frankly one of the best massages we have had. Sitting in the solarium and in the hot mineral tub was delightful.
Although we have two fireplaces at home, we loved having the fireplace in the room at the foot of our bed. We are even considering adding something to our bedroom to recreate that feeling. Just delightful.
It is an absolutely beautiful location and so storied, but it took a major shift in our expectations and a decision to make the best of it. In the future, we would likely go back for meals, the spa, and activities, but can't really spend that kind of money on a room and sleep well.

1  Thank adschlec
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Mohonk Mountain House is a unique resort that brings you back to a different age. The Victorian main house is incredibly interesting in its own right (an amalgamation of several additions that go together - sort of) and the setting can't be beat. Located on a mountain lake in the Shawgunk range it provides spectacular views over the valley below, of the lake beside it and the of the peak a couple hundred feet above. The extensive hiking, cross-country skiing and snowshoe trails allow you to really become one with nature. The skis and snowshoes are all complimentary as part of your stay as are guided hikes. The resort attracts a great deal of visitors but you can really be alone on the trails which was a welcome respite for this city dweller. The word that kept coming to mind to describe Mohonk was wholesome. The whole experience: the tv-less rooms, the focus on the outdoors, etc. consistently brought to mind an ideal of wholesomeness that seemed to be from another age. I could imagine that this would be where the Waltons would vacation - if they ever had the money to afford the high price tag.

All that said, Mohonk is has some significant drawbacks. First, the wholesomeness can lead to boredom. The evening entertainment during our visit over President's Day/Valentine's Day weekend were children's movies, a lounge act playing old standards and a performance of arias and old showtunes. They were fine for what it was, but the target audience seemed decidedly older than us (early 30s). If that isn't your preference you don't have too many other options (other than go back and enjoy your room which can be romantic, as most of them include fireplaces (real wood fireplaces!) and balconies).

The second drawback is the food. Three meals and an afternoon tea are offered as part of the hotel stay (though alcohol is extra). The breakfast, lunch and Sunday brunch are buffet style. For dinner you have the option of a buffet or a sit down dinner. The buffets are good, though not great - about what you would expect from a mid-range buffet. The Sunday brunch gives you plenty of options, but again is only good. Dinner is a mixed bag. You select two appetizers, a main course and a desert. The appetizers are generally good, though not great. I found the main course the most disappointing as the food was generally overcooked and blah. It would be fine for a wedding, but really isn't what one would hope for a dinner at a place of this type and at this cost.

Finally the service was very uneven. Our first evening the waiter disappeared for long stretches and failed to check on us after being served. Throughout our stay food was regularly brought to the wrong table and there was an overall feeling of borderline incompetence. Though there were a few bright spots, the servers seemed to be overmatched to the job (or indifferent - tips are already built into the cost of your stay, so there isn't an extra incentive for service, though you can tip extra). The waitstaff appear to be mainly college kids or locals that probably haven't received the type of training necessary. That said, everyone was incredibly polite and friendly.

One other word of warning - leaving the resort is an absolute mess. There is one road to the main entrance which is completely overloaded at checkout time with cars waiting to get to the door to be loaded with luggage. Add to that people who arrive early to check in and you have mass chaos. It took 45 minutes for our car to be brought around and loaded. This after we had called down and let them know what time we would be there at. Others had to wait for even longer periods and it again seemed that there wasn't clear leadership on what to be done. Some of the problem is because of the space constraints of the mountain top, but a lot could have been improved with better communication and planning (this couldn't have been unexpected but those I spoke to say it's a regular problem). It's unfortunate that this was the last impression Mohonk left.

Mohonk is fantastic for what it is - a chance to commune with nature and relax in a Victorian setting. It can be completely relaxing and free from most of the intrusions of modern life. The rooms can be romantic and the lack of a tv can be a blessing. What it is not is a 5 star resort that you might expect based on its reputation and price. While service is very polite it is too uneven for a resort of this type. I think we'll come back in the fall and take advantage of the beautiful foliage. I would also recommend it for families with children (assuming the cost isn't prohibitive) as there were a lot of families there who seemed to enjoy the chance to enjoy the wholesomeness I described above. When the time comes that I have my own family I would strongly consider coming here for a vacation. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone looking for a hip or sophisticated weekend away. My final rating would be 3.5 stars.

4  Thank Irishdevil04
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Ok I never write reviews for hotels airlines etc but I had to for this experience to save others from making the same mistake as me. I planned a valentines day getaway with my wife. The website of the hotel makes it look like a serene romantic place. I paid over $650 for one night for a standard room. The rooms are of an old motel 6 quality. Old fixtures, creaking bed, cheap mattress and blankets. They were clean though. The carpet was older than me, and I am 35. The place was overrun with noisy kids but thats not an issue for me, I have kids of my own. They were running down the hallway and making noise all the time. The room had no TV and they charge $25 a night to bring one old 25 inch clunker. The room window had a thin curtain and blinds that were ripping to shreds. You get the picture.

The 4 course dinner was average food wise, although the service was good. The place is great from the outside and if the management would just upgrade the rooms or upgrade the pictures on the website, people can go with their eyes open.

I really urge you to not waste this amount of money on this place. Definitely don't go if you are under 40 and are not going with kids. Do go if you are a senior citizen who is just trying to spend his money as fast as he can.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

My children are grown, married and live out of state. I live near Mohonk so, when my children visit during the Christmas holidays, I book lunch or dinner there. This has been part of our family tradition for some time. This year we went the day after Christmas and the service was absolutely dreadful. After being seated, we waited for at least 20 minutes before we flagged someone and asked who our waitress was. We waited again to have used dished cleared from the table - she was just never around. When she finally came to see about coffee or dessert, she wasn't clear on what the desserts were that they were serving that day. She brought coffee and tea with no spoons. We had to find her to get spoons and she then brought out large soup spoons. For what you pay to eat here ($65 per person for lunch!), the staff should be more efficient and better trained. I did call Mohonk and talked to the manager of the dining area. He was quite pleasant and listened to my concerns. He did offer to send 2 passes for my husband and I to have dinner again since we live close by. I spoke to him in December, it's now the middle of February and the passes still haven't been received. I guess this wasn't that important to the staff at Mohonk.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank chaber
Reviewed February 13, 2010

We live only 20 minutes from the hotel so my husband and I spent a day there one weekend. Because we made lunch reservations we had full access to the hotel and grounds (minus the pool and fishing which are for overnight guests only). The food,a buffet for both breakfast and lunch, is pricey at $120+ for two but it is all you can eat and was good. This price also includes full use of the property for the entire day. After we had lunch we explored the hotel, its nooks and crannies and then did some snow-shoeing. The views are spectacular, the grounds are breathtaking.

All this being said, I have to say that I am so glad that we were day guests. The rooms run around 500-600 per night for a basic room. Yes food and tips are included but that's steep! There are a lot of children here and they tend to take over the pool, skating rink and dining room. And while there are many seats and couches there isn't much privacy inside.

The hotel has an amazing history and is beautiful. It's interesting that Stephen King modeled the hotel in "the shining" after this hotel and you can totally envision it! But honestly, unless you are looking for an old-American style lodge without privacy and ameneties such as a tv in your room, this hotel is just a bit too expensive for an overnight stay. A day trip yes but save yourself $360 and stay elsewhere!

2  Thank Mfetber88