“Love this place”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
New York
“Love this place”
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I've been to Mohonk on several occasions, both as a day guest and a weekend/longer guest. Always impeccable service and food. The BBQ lunch is the best I've ever had. Now that they've added the spa, it's perfect. It's close to New York, and even though I don't drive I can get there easily by bus or train, and Mohonk provides transportatation to and from the stations. I've never had a bad room, though I admit a few new matresses would be welcome. It's one of the best spas I've been to. And I never mind traveling solo here, though I'm often there with friends. It's one of my favorite destinations. A bit pricey, yes, but with meals included, and in such heavenly surroundings, it's worth the splurge.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Korean first
New Jersey
Reviewed June 22, 2009

If only we had more vacation spots to choose from like this in our country! What an overall wonderful experience. From our enthusiastic, nature loving naturalist guide Michael, to our adventurous, horse loving, trail riding guides Janice and Peter, and professional, serene Francine at the spa we can only say thank you for a wonderul stay at MMH. We experienced rock scrambling, all levels of hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, campfires, relaxing, square dancing, croquet, tennis, etc. in the most beautiful setting around. The staff were friendly and seemed genuinely pleased to be a part of this place. We had a downpour at our campfire last night and the staff were nice enough to send a van to bring us back to the "house" without anyone asking for this. Miles and miles of trails to choose from with the most spectacular views! The rooms were clean, had character and great views. If you're looking for that corporate homogenous feel MMH is not for you. This isn't the place to worry about if you can walk a glass of wine back to your room (see previous review) this is a place to take a deep breath, take in the surroundings, take a walk/bike/hike/golf/tennis/swim/boat. My two kids did not ask where the TV was once because there were so many things to explore. This place reminded me of what a great country we live in. How wonderful it is that the Smiley family have kept this place authentic, welcoming, and in touch with nature. Hats off to Mohonk Mountain House!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 13, 2009

After cutting a weekend getaway short after one night because of our disappointment, my husband and I can only surmise that this place survives because it is so close to NYC and to people who have enough money to throw away for a mediocre property, just so they can experience nature. The setting and outdoor areas of Mohonk are very attractive--the lake and the balconies and ice skating rink/etc. are very nice. However, the common areas inside (except for the new spa/indoor pool area) look and feel like you're sitting in your grandmother's sitting room which hasn't been updated in decades. Our room was small but fine, and the working fireplace was a wonderful touch. While we had a very nice brunch, the dinner was absolutely awful. We chose to dine downstairs where they provide table service instead of a buffet. The room is depressing, and the food and service were appalling. I felt like I was on a budget cruise ship where you struggle to find one thing you like. Then before dinner, my husband and I wanted to enjoy a glass of wine in front of our fireplace, and because I read in their materials that you should call room service for that, we did so. However, after trying them three separate times and receiving no answer, my husband went down to the bar (dressed nicely in his sports coat) and bought two glasses of wine. As he was attempting to take them back to our room, he was stopped by a Mohonk "bouncer" who told him he wasn't allowed to take alcohol out of the bar. My husband explained our room service conundrum, and the bouncer let him leave, but he called over a waitress who carried the drinks for him to our room. Are you kidding me? So there are signs about kids running in the hall, but they are running all over the place. And you won't let a nicely dressed adult carry two glasses of wine through the halls? Mohonk loves their rules, and it is apparent they are dedicated to their system versus their guests' comfort. After being made to feel like a criminal after the wine incident and after experiencing an unappetizing dinner experience, we immediately decided to leave the next morning. If these folks want to understand how to run a nice mountain house, they need to talk to The Homestead or The Greenbrier, where class and tradition are king, but so is the customer. To sum up this place, my husband and I settled on three words--"Not worth the money."

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CKR
New Delhi
Reviewed May 31, 2009

it is one of the most highly rated property and have so many restriction within the property for its guest that you would hope that the hotel must be something really luxsurious...but it is SAD...
the floors are old so make the noise when you walk around (granted that its an old mansion)...the reception is very slow and not promt...the rooms are small, and it is very expensive to stay at this place...the parking is like miles away from the hotel...noisy is not the word...

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank RuchiD
brooklyn
Reviewed May 9, 2009

3 friends got together for an overnight at Mohonk, an elegant 140-year-old resort set beside a mountain lake. Despite its age, the whole place feels fresh. They have managed to keep it up-to-date without losing the beautiful historic details of the architecture. We stayed in one of the Victorian rooms. It had a queen and a twin bed and they brought us a roll-away. All the beds were amazingly comfortable with silky smooth sheets and fresh cotton matelasse spreads. Our room was tastefully decorated with polished oak furniture and an elaborate wooden mantle over the working fireplace, spotless bathroom, and a little patio, with 2 rocking chairs, that overlooked the heirloom gardens and the lake. The service is perfect. Everyone we met, from the people at the front desk to the men painting a new part of the hallway, were friendly (not too friendly, just right) and helpful. Any request we made from our room was answered very quickly. We called to ask about making a fire in the fireplace and in about two minutes a gentleman was there starting it up. 3 meals, plus afternoon tea and cookies, were included, and the all food was delicious. Also incuded are loads of activities, hikes, garden and farm tours, an evening movie and plenty more. You have to dress up a little for dinner, and you have to let them know what time you'd like to be seated. You can get snacks during the day, but I didn't try them. The lake and grounds are fantastic. If you like nature walks, rock climbing, gardens, farms, rowing, birdwatching, canoeing, hiking, sketching, painting, or just about anything else except shopping or watching TV, it seems like you would be able to do it here. We went on a fascinating nature walk with a guide named Michael R. He seemed to know everything and had a great way of explaining things. Definitely worth seeking him out. There are guided activities throughout the day. I know there are kids' activities but I didn't see them. There is a small game room with video games. We were there midweek, during school, so no kids. They have a gorgeous new spa that you can use for an extra fee. We paid $20 for use of the sauna, steam room, and outdoor heated mineral pool, and it was really worth it. You can get massages and other services for additional fees. The price may seem a little high, but I felt it was a great value. All tips are included in the price, a feature I really appreciated. The facilities, food, and service are just perfect and I can't wait to go again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank axlotl
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed April 19, 2009

My wife and I stayed here from 4/17-19/2009 for my 60th birthday. The good news.........We had a great time. The level of service (not food...see later) is unequalled when compared to any domestic resort we have ever stayed in. We have stayed in many 5 -tar resorts in the USA. The employees in all service positions could not have been more pleasant or professional. We had several spa treatments. I had an "intensive" massage by Francine. It was the best massage I have ever had by a body worker in the USA. I will ask for by name when we return. Now the not so good news. The food is ok...nothing to write home about. They try, but the food should be much better considering that the resort is expensive. My fish was undercooked twice, the soup was not hot, and the sorbet was commercial tasting, not home made. The cookies served between 4-5 p.m. also taste store-bought. The food is about the only negative we can think of, but when you pay also of money to stay in a resort, the food should be alot better. All in all, we would return, but we really do hope the management reads this and upgrades the quality and attention to the food.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Bradley Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed April 18, 2009

There is good news and bad news about Mohonk. First - the Bad. It is expensive. I would even say overpriced. For what you pay (I just spent 600 a night for one adult and 2 children under 10) you will be sleeping on a lumpy mattress in a room with creaky floors. Doesn't that sound awful? There will be no television in your room. There are no video arcades at every turn..
Now...the good news. There is no television and video!!! Your children will not be inundated by technology while they are here. You may even get your children BACK from being constantly plugged in. Everything else about Mohonk enchants. The photos you view do not do it justice. The location is just awe-inspiring. The place manages to be rustic and refined at the same time. Dinner is an event where people are expected to dress for the occasion. The food is EXCELLENT and plentiful. The kids club is creative and genuinely fun. No one is getting stuck in front of a Tv there...the kids are interacting and doing things together.
Time for the adults can be filled with outdoor activities aplenty. The focus is on nature and the "miracle" of interacting with something larger than life. Take that walk to Skytop and try ...just TRY to not be floored by the experience!!
I will return to Mohonk ...lumpy beds and all. If you are the type of traveller to be bothered by TV's absence, you should go elsewhere. Likewise if you are going to be so IRKED by the cost of the place that you won't be able to let go and "get" the resort, it won't be for you. But for those of you looking for a genuine, timeless place that REALLY renews your soul (if you allow...) you just may find your Nirvana here, If you don't mind paying for it.
I know I have.

Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
New Paltz Hostel
New Paltz Hostel
#1 of 2 in New Paltz

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!