“Relaxing and comfortable, old-fashioned elegance, lovely setting, great food, perfect service.”

and 1 more site!
Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed May 9, 2009

3 friends got together for an overnight at Mohonk, an elegant 140-year-old resort set beside a mountain lake. Despite its age, the whole place feels fresh. They have managed to keep it up-to-date without losing the beautiful historic details of the architecture. We stayed in one of the Victorian rooms. It had a queen and a twin bed and they brought us a roll-away. All the beds were amazingly comfortable with silky smooth sheets and fresh cotton matelasse spreads. Our room was tastefully decorated with polished oak furniture and an elaborate wooden mantle over the working fireplace, spotless bathroom, and a little patio, with 2 rocking chairs, that overlooked the heirloom gardens and the lake. The service is perfect. Everyone we met, from the people at the front desk to the men painting a new part of the hallway, were friendly (not too friendly, just right) and helpful. Any request we made from our room was answered very quickly. We called to ask about making a fire in the fireplace and in about two minutes a gentleman was there starting it up. 3 meals, plus afternoon tea and cookies, were included, and the all food was delicious. Also incuded are loads of activities, hikes, garden and farm tours, an evening movie and plenty more. You have to dress up a little for dinner, and you have to let them know what time you'd like to be seated. You can get snacks during the day, but I didn't try them. The lake and grounds are fantastic. If you like nature walks, rock climbing, gardens, farms, rowing, birdwatching, canoeing, hiking, sketching, painting, or just about anything else except shopping or watching TV, it seems like you would be able to do it here. We went on a fascinating nature walk with a guide named Michael R. He seemed to know everything and had a great way of explaining things. Definitely worth seeking him out. There are guided activities throughout the day. I know there are kids' activities but I didn't see them. There is a small game room with video games. We were there midweek, during school, so no kids. They have a gorgeous new spa that you can use for an extra fee. We paid $20 for use of the sauna, steam room, and outdoor heated mineral pool, and it was really worth it. You can get massages and other services for additional fees. The price may seem a little high, but I felt it was a great value. All tips are included in the price, a feature I really appreciated. The facilities, food, and service are just perfect and I can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank axlotl

Reviewed April 19, 2009

My wife and I stayed here from 4/17-19/2009 for my 60th birthday. The good news.........We had a great time. The level of service (not food...see later) is unequalled when compared to any domestic resort we have ever stayed in. We have stayed in many 5 -tar resorts in the USA. The employees in all service positions could not have been more pleasant or professional. We had several spa treatments. I had an "intensive" massage by Francine. It was the best massage I have ever had by a body worker in the USA. I will ask for by name when we return. Now the not so good news. The food is ok...nothing to write home about. They try, but the food should be much better considering that the resort is expensive. My fish was undercooked twice, the soup was not hot, and the sorbet was commercial tasting, not home made. The cookies served between 4-5 p.m. also taste store-bought. The food is about the only negative we can think of, but when you pay also of money to stay in a resort, the food should be alot better. All in all, we would return, but we really do hope the management reads this and upgrades the quality and attention to the food.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2009

There is good news and bad news about Mohonk. First - the Bad. It is expensive. I would even say overpriced. For what you pay (I just spent 600 a night for one adult and 2 children under 10) you will be sleeping on a lumpy mattress in a room with creaky floors. Doesn't that sound awful? There will be no television in your room. There are no video arcades at every turn..
Now...the good news. There is no television and video!!! Your children will not be inundated by technology while they are here. You may even get your children BACK from being constantly plugged in. Everything else about Mohonk enchants. The photos you view do not do it justice. The location is just awe-inspiring. The place manages to be rustic and refined at the same time. Dinner is an event where people are expected to dress for the occasion. The food is EXCELLENT and plentiful. The kids club is creative and genuinely fun. No one is getting stuck in front of a Tv there...the kids are interacting and doing things together.
Time for the adults can be filled with outdoor activities aplenty. The focus is on nature and the "miracle" of interacting with something larger than life. Take that walk to Skytop and try ...just TRY to not be floored by the experience!!
I will return to Mohonk ...lumpy beds and all. If you are the type of traveller to be bothered by TV's absence, you should go elsewhere. Likewise if you are going to be so IRKED by the cost of the place that you won't be able to let go and "get" the resort, it won't be for you. But for those of you looking for a genuine, timeless place that REALLY renews your soul (if you allow...) you just may find your Nirvana here, If you don't mind paying for it.
I know I have.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank samdanmom
Reviewed March 24, 2009

My boyfriend surprised me this weekend with a last minute getaway to Mohonk Mountain House. The location was beautiful with many miles of hiking trails and fireplaces aplenty, but that is were the love affair with the weekend stopped. The reservation was last minute so no packages deals were to be had. I saw the bill at check in and the charges were $570 per night, which includes food. The food was buffet for breakfast and lunch and dinner was sit-down. Saturday day nights dinner was not great and I spit my boyfriend's desert out it was so bad. Sunday brunch and dinner most have been a different chef because they were very good. (The one fault for brunch was when I saw a very large black hair in the egg tray, I immediately pointed it out, but they didn't remove the tray for another 5 to 10 minutes).
He also surprised me with a couples' massage in the newly built spa area. ( This is the first major renovation since 2005, and it shows). The staff is still working out what to do with the spa. No one was present at all in the men's side for attendants, the couple's massage started 10 minutes late and ended early, and if it wasn't for me telling my masseust to please use more pressure it would have been a 50 minute "petting" session rather than a massage. (Needles to say my boyfriend, who has had spas/massages before did not like it). A very large negative is the pricing system which includes an automatic additional 15 -18% gratuity for any extra services ( beverages, spa, food outside of meal times). This type of billing always make me feel that when I get poor service I am getting ripped of since I am mandated to tip 18%!

There were some bright spots: The hiking trails were starting to open up and hiking was beautiful, they offered free ice skating at a lovely outdoor pavillion, and the lounge fireplaces were always great to sit in front of and read.

Overall, the building tries to use its old world charm to captivate its guests, but it falls very short. The staff forgot to bring the basket of champagne and snacks to the room that were ordered in the reservation, all the flooring seemed to be warped, which was accented at night by every movement from the room above us on the creaky flooring. For the price that we paid I would never recommend this place to anyone. ( the total bill came to about 2 grand for two nights and the 1 spa treatment) If you were to book in advance and get a package deal it may be worth it.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Where else can you drive only an hour away from NYC and be completely on another, more relaxing planet? I feel I've traveled back in time to a by-gone era, like that Jane Seymour movie. The atmosphere at Mohonk is Victorian and charming, the rooms are full of period details very authentically done. The food is delicious, the service is warm and professional without being fussy. The walk around the lake is serene. For serious hikes there are more adventurous trails. A lovely big pool. A pampering spa. Comfortable beds with luxurious sheets. They'll have to drag me from here come Sunday morning. March Madness prices are unbeatable and highly recommended. But in summer, I hear you can swim in the lake!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2009

Can I just say.....$690 a night???? Are you kidding me?

I've traveled all over the world...and stayed in all kind of places...from hostels in Spain to splendid hotels in Porto Cervo....but never, in all of these years of traveling I've encountered anything more overpriced than this place. The only 2 good things about it are the location and the staff....thats it!
The hotel is simply...old. But not in a good way....it looks outdated and smells very musty...needs major renovations. Many trails very closed, which was disappointing again, because of ...$690 a night!! Geez.....I guess I just can't get over the price, which cannot be justified even by the superhelpful staff.

I guess if you want to enjoy New Paltz, drive, park, have a nice meal at Beso and take a walk on your own....save yourself some money and if you are feeling adventurous, go skydiving at amazing Sky Dive The Ranch

Enjoy :)

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank jenialexis
Reviewed February 24, 2009

We stayed 2/20/09- 2/22/09 and read the review of Travelingbostonians before going and I was a little worried as they did not give a great review. First off we booked for my husband and myself and our daughter was able to come in from college so on 2/17 they were able to change our room to accomodate her. Both confirmations that we got (without her and with her) gave a full accounting of pricing AND tipping 15% for hotel and 18% for spa and that it was an all-inclusive and no other tips were necessary unless you want to give more( which we did). We stayed on the 2nd floor and it was quiet as can be and I thought that no one else were in those rooms until the day of check out when I saw the bills under the doors. We also learned that the previous week (which is the week kids are out of school and therefore on vacation) the hotel had kids stay free so there were alot of kids there. The waitstaff told us that there were about 150 kids running in the dining room . I don' t blame the hotel for that it's the parents that don't control the kids. Friday we got in late for our 8 pm dinner and they had no problem accomodating us for 8:45. Our reservation on Sat was 6:30 and they asked if we would like kid-free dining and we said yes so we went to another dining room downstairs which was very nice. All our meals were delicious- there is a breakfast and lunch buffet (and Sunday brunch) and more than enough selection of foods and dessert. We booked 8:30 am massages and a facial and the spa was beautiful and tranquil. The one catch with the early morning spa on Sat. was that breakfast is from 8-9:30 and although they have a continental breakfast from 7-11 there is not much selection of food. Everyone was very nice and helpful- the fireplace in the room was great and just walking the halls and looking at the photos and the history of the place was great. We want to come back and see it in a different season and soon.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!