“Totally enjoyed our stay”

Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed October 11, 2004

My husband and I spent our anniversary at Mohonk Sunday and Monday, October 10th -11th. We had a wonderful little getaway. I read the mixed reviews with regard to the hotel and the food. I kept 'waiting' for a bad experience but we have nothing but positive things to say about our stay. The staff was extremely friendly, from check in to check out. Even staff that we encountered in the hallways and on the grounds would nod and smile....very friendly. We had a very nice candlelit dinner Sunday night and the food was quite good. We did not wait for any of our courses although I did hear a few apologies at nearby tables. The hotel was full for the holiday weekend. Breakfast the next morning was a delicious buffet and our favorite meal was actually the outdoor barbeque. It was awesome and what a setting and view. As for the hiking, there are many paths and places to 'get away'. Don't miss the adventure of the "Lemon Squeeze". Although the hotel was booked full, you didn't need to go far on the trails to get away from it all and enjoy the beauty of the mountains, leaves and views. As for the room, it was extremely clean and comfortable. We highly recommend the Mohonk Mountain House and hope to visit again.

3  Thank loripie01

A TripAdvisor Member
Glen Oaks, New York
Reviewed September 30, 2004

It has always been a tradition in my family to visit throughout the years. I have always enjoyed the hike, views and great quality time it has given us. It's a great place to visit although.....the food could be better and the room could use a TV and A/C. Tea Time is nice and spending time at the lake is great. It's up to you...

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 29, 2004

My husband and I visit Mohonk each year in the Fall and love it...Actually, we're going next week as a matter of fact! Many people seem to complain about this hotel from what I have seen on these postings, but what most people fail to understand is that this is CASTLE for crying out loud...A National Historic Landmark! What are you expecting?..They are trying to stay with the look of that time period with antiques and such..It's not the Ritz..get over it! You go to a place like this for the fresh air, absolutely amazing views, hiking and to get away from the rest of the world...and believe me, you accomplish this while there!! There's nothing like sitting in the rocking chairs with some hot cocoa overlooking the lake and smelling the many fireplaces burning. Afternoon tea and cookies is also a delight! Having a personal fireplace in your guest room to sip wine and relax with your loved one is also romantic especially after a long day of hiking --amongst the countless other activities......I agree, it's not the most gorgeous place on the inside due to the old-fashioned style that they are trying to maintain, but the outside more than makes up for it--so incredibly picturesque! So suck it up and relax and take it for what it is...TOTAL RELAXATION! Just ditch your cell phone and forget the TV for a few days and spend time with your family! ENJOY!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 27, 2004

Stayed for two nights in late August. Our stay was fantastic. Outdoor activities were great. No complaints about food. Loved the outdoor picnic for lunch. It was a fairly hot and humid weekend, so our room was warm but not unbearable. Can't wait to come back. New spa will be a wonderful addition.

3  Thank PRB
Reviewed September 8, 2004

We just returned from Mohonk after a 3 night stay during Labor Day weekend. We (all 5; including 3 young children aged 7, 5, 3) had a very good time. The hotel is wonderful and the activities are endless. It's a great place to enjoy the outdoors and spend time as a family. I will admit, I do not think the food is gourmet, but it is good. During the summer they have a 'kids only' buffet, so the children can eat first and then they can go to the kids club while parents enjoy dinner alone. My kids thought this was great and they looked forward to it. We stayed in a tower room and it was quite spacious for 5 people. The tower rooms have window air conditioners which is a big plus if you go in the summer. The hotel is rustic, homey and loaded with character and we look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: August 2004
6  Thank mmr
Reviewed September 8, 2004

My wife and I went for lunch with a gift certificate. I'll keep it short, this is my opinion. The food is lousy, the service is nothing to speak of and the prices are relatively outrageous for what you get. As a day visitor I felt unwelcome from making the reservation, to leaving the resort. I am glad I did not pay for that lunch or stay at the hotel.

10  Thank Artge
Reviewed August 27, 2004

There’s a lot to measure between this site’s four and five ratings — between “above average” and “excellent.” How to measure charm and magic, the suspension of time and the wonders of nature framed but not tamed? Mountain resorts, such as this one, generally offer unquantifiable ambience at quantifiable prices: bang-for-buck, Mohonk delivers.

My experiences hold both single and multi-day visits; none have ever disappointed. Even a two-day trantrum-throwing child with arguing parents in the room next door on my last visit does not stain my roaming, romantic thoughts of Mohonk (and I was with in-laws!). A trip to the Mountain House makes for a great get-away, especially during the week when all is quieter with fewer visitors, the staff more relaxed and receptive and dining more leisurely. Fall is best (arguable); get a room or suite with a fireplace.

6  Thank nycdeke
New Paltz Hostel
#1 of 2 in New Paltz
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz
Stonegate Bed and Breakfast

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!