“The Reality Check”

Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 29, 2004

My husband and I visit Mohonk each year in the Fall and love it...Actually, we're going next week as a matter of fact! Many people seem to complain about this hotel from what I have seen on these postings, but what most people fail to understand is that this is CASTLE for crying out loud...A National Historic Landmark! What are you expecting?..They are trying to stay with the look of that time period with antiques and such..It's not the Ritz..get over it! You go to a place like this for the fresh air, absolutely amazing views, hiking and to get away from the rest of the world...and believe me, you accomplish this while there!! There's nothing like sitting in the rocking chairs with some hot cocoa overlooking the lake and smelling the many fireplaces burning. Afternoon tea and cookies is also a delight! Having a personal fireplace in your guest room to sip wine and relax with your loved one is also romantic especially after a long day of hiking --amongst the countless other activities......I agree, it's not the most gorgeous place on the inside due to the old-fashioned style that they are trying to maintain, but the outside more than makes up for it--so incredibly picturesque! So suck it up and relax and take it for what it is...TOTAL RELAXATION! Just ditch your cell phone and forget the TV for a few days and spend time with your family! ENJOY!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed September 27, 2004

Stayed for two nights in late August. Our stay was fantastic. Outdoor activities were great. No complaints about food. Loved the outdoor picnic for lunch. It was a fairly hot and humid weekend, so our room was warm but not unbearable. Can't wait to come back. New spa will be a wonderful addition.

3  Thank PRB
Reviewed September 8, 2004

We just returned from Mohonk after a 3 night stay during Labor Day weekend. We (all 5; including 3 young children aged 7, 5, 3) had a very good time. The hotel is wonderful and the activities are endless. It's a great place to enjoy the outdoors and spend time as a family. I will admit, I do not think the food is gourmet, but it is good. During the summer they have a 'kids only' buffet, so the children can eat first and then they can go to the kids club while parents enjoy dinner alone. My kids thought this was great and they looked forward to it. We stayed in a tower room and it was quite spacious for 5 people. The tower rooms have window air conditioners which is a big plus if you go in the summer. The hotel is rustic, homey and loaded with character and we look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: August 2004
6  Thank mmr
Reviewed September 8, 2004

My wife and I went for lunch with a gift certificate. I'll keep it short, this is my opinion. The food is lousy, the service is nothing to speak of and the prices are relatively outrageous for what you get. As a day visitor I felt unwelcome from making the reservation, to leaving the resort. I am glad I did not pay for that lunch or stay at the hotel.

10  Thank Artge
Reviewed August 27, 2004

There’s a lot to measure between this site’s four and five ratings — between “above average” and “excellent.” How to measure charm and magic, the suspension of time and the wonders of nature framed but not tamed? Mountain resorts, such as this one, generally offer unquantifiable ambience at quantifiable prices: bang-for-buck, Mohonk delivers.

My experiences hold both single and multi-day visits; none have ever disappointed. Even a two-day trantrum-throwing child with arguing parents in the room next door on my last visit does not stain my roaming, romantic thoughts of Mohonk (and I was with in-laws!). A trip to the Mountain House makes for a great get-away, especially during the week when all is quieter with fewer visitors, the staff more relaxed and receptive and dining more leisurely. Fall is best (arguable); get a room or suite with a fireplace.

6  Thank nycdeke
Reviewed August 25, 2004

This is how people vacationed 100 years ago - no TV's, no cell phones, no A/C. And boy, were we grateful! It was the most relaxing weekend we have ever spent. The rockers on the porch, the hiking, the food - it's hard to single out any one thing; it's all great. This is NOT the Hilton, and we are delighted that it's not! At first it seems expensive, but it's really not, all things considered.

3  Thank Criticaltraveller
A TripAdvisor Member
Brielle, NJ
Reviewed August 24, 2004

Recently returned from a 2 night stay and I cannot say enough about it. The ride up the mountain to the hotel alone was spectacular. The old grandeur of the hotel is a special treat to young and old alike. We stayed in a Tower Suite room and were definetly impressed. At first we were a little weery about the lack of air conditioning and tv's but once there, didn't need either. The hotel does rent tv's for $25 a day. With the windows open and the fans on, it was perfect. The view from our room overlooking the lake was worth the extra cost. I traveled with husband and kids ages 8 & 10 and anothe family with younger children ages 4 & 6. All had a great time. Even though we had inclement weather 2 of the 3, we were always able to keep entertained. The paddle boats were especially fun for the children and not a bad exercise for adults. We chose to eat lunch both days at the Granary and enoyed both the food and the view. Both evenings we dined in the formal dining room and found menu and service adequate. Could've had more offerings for children. Some children do enjoy dressing up and acting as you would want them to in such a restaurant. All four in our party certainly did. We ordered room service both nights for some hors d'oeuvres and cocktails before dinner and found everything to our liking. Very surprised at the low prices on room service menu. One night we all walked up the mountain to the outdoor/indoor iceskating rink and enjoyed making smores in the HUGE fireplace and listening to a wonderful folk singer. We also took the 1 hour long horse and buggy ride through mountains and that was definetly worth the extra $. Even though it was drizzling, no one seemed to care. Very lovely driver. All the staff were more then efficient and had great attitudes. We will definetly be back soon.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz
Twin Lakes Lodge
Twin Lakes Lodge
#2 of 2 in Hurley

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!