“One Night getaway”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Brooklyn, New York
“One Night getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

When you pull up to this place it does have an Old World Charm like the movie the Shining in a good way.
We went with a group of couples for an over night to celebrate a few birthdays.
Very good food for an All Inclusive.
If you are into health,yoga and spa's its Great.
The room for the price we paid and as advertised was small but quaint,working fireplace,King bed and balcony.No TV if you want one it is $25 per day.
If we were to return it would probably be in the summer as there is not much going on outdoors except for ice skating.
It is very pricey for what you get,not sure it is worth it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Craig S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Korean first
Hagerstown, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

At the recomendation of a friend, we decided to take the family for a weekend to Mohonk in lieu of the typical birthday party for our daughter. We were told this was a great family resort. When we made the reservation, we were told that since we were arriving on a Thursday the kid camp activities would not begin until Friday morning, which was fine. When we arrived and inquired about the kid camp activites we were advised that they only have these on Saturdays and Sundays this time of year. However, we did take a walk around the grounds with Michael, our guide who was very freindly and great with the kids. Since we were the only ones on the tour, Mike took us wherever we wanted to go. The museum was very intersting and his had good knowledge of the history of the place. This walk was one of the hightlights of our stay. Thanks Mike. This was the wrong time of year for a visit, since the winter activities were closed and the spring activities had not yet started. After the tour, we checked into our room, which was recently renovated. The room was very nice with comfortable beds. No complaits here. Next we went to the pool to let the kids play before dinner. When we got back to the room we noticed that both children had red painful rashes most likely caused by the excessive chemicals in the pool. We would have enjoyed the spa services had they not been double the cost of what we normally pay and we had child care via kid camp. The breakfast buffet which was included with the package was ample and very tasty. However, lunch was not included, so we decided against the buffet at $50/person after all of the automatic gratuities. We decided on lunch in the lounge and were not dissapointed here. Food was good, but service was slow as only one waitress handled everyone in the room. Dinner is another matter. Bread, spreads and salads were terrific, but the entrees had much to be desired. Our son had mac and cheese, which he did not eat (he usually loves the stuff). Our daughter ordered the pasta with tomato sauce and sauted veggies - no flavor (she also did not eat). Mom had the Thai Spiced Eggplant that tasted like someone dropped an entire shaker of salt into it (unedible). Dad had the Cioppino, whcih was delicious, but was missing hte crab claws advertised on the menu. We would have sent most back the kitchen, if we were not in a rush to get to the critter show that began at 9:00 p.m. This was interesting and fun for the kids, but could have been a little earlier in the day. The hotel itself is beautiful with freindly staff, but not worth the big price tag. We've stayed in places that are 1/2 this price and was able to deliver the entire package. We think that after 165 years of experience they'd have it right by now.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank Chip A
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

We went to Mohonk mountain house based on a recommendation by a co worker. I made the reservation before the stomach bug outbreak. After I found out about the cleanup, realized we would be the first ones in, I kept the reservations. I told them we were celebrating our 25th anniversary and the front desk told me they would take care of us.Nothing special was done for our anniversary, i guess they were more concerned about the virus. Our room was old but clean. I was disappointed not to have a coffee machine in our room or even on the floor. For the amount of money that they charged i really missed that. Every thing else was great, lots of activities for adults, great spa treatments and food was excellent. I would go again probably in the summer or fall.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank antoinetteb316
East Hampton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

I shall start by saying I am pretty picky about accommodations, customer service, noise, comfort and food!Lol
All were great!
I guess most all hotels have slamming doors which is an issue, but i read that the Tower rooms are best for quiet, so next time we will do just that…Having said that I offer a glowing report:
The staff was warm, lovely and helpful. Made us feel so welcome.
The bed and sheets were to die for!!!! Now i hate my own bed!
The food, especially dinner was a culinary adventure each night.
Tried some new house - designed cocktails that were divine!! And that yummy popcorn!
Our room was Lakeside with balcony. Exquisite view! Next time will try mountain view with fireplace!
Reported bum Pool Cues which was a bummer because we love to play pool.
The Gift store is so much fun to visit. I found lots of treasures to bring home to family.
Our only "beef" was we couldn't get NEAR the main fireplace or Spa fireplace, or practically any fireplace, due to a very large group there for Knitting Weekend!! Next time will shoot for mid week special!
The weather was foggy rainy and COLD but we found plenty to keep us busy including relaxing!
Have only just now read the place had had virus outbreak in February. Was quite impressed by the cleanliness factor. EVERYONE wore gloves. You were always served and asked not to help yourself. Now i know why, but yet and still, made us feel quite appreciative as I am a bit of a germaphobe!!!
We have been wanting to come to Mohonk for years. SO GLAD we finally did. Look so forward
to another visit in the future!

Room Tip: Choose rooms top three floors for less foot traffic noise. Country rooms are newer but peeked at ol...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LBJ62
Montvale, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Service was very attentive.
Room was old but very clean.
Excellent wifi access.
No television in room however.
I'd recommend it for business retreats.
I believe it would be a good place for a couples getaway too.
The room had a working fireplace and the bathroom was very clean.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank MichaelRZ
Attlantic HIghlands, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Our children gave us a wonderful Christmas gift, of a weekend at the Mohonk Mountain House. The location is absolutely breathtaking, and our room 453, overlooked the mountains. It had a balcony, with two rocking chairs, that I'm sure would be a perfect spot in warmer weather. It also had a nice, working fireplace. The hotel is 145 years old, and the architecture is wonderful. One thing I noticed right away about Mohonk, is how friendly everyone is. The staff seem to go out of their way to make sure you are enjoying yourself, and are always smiling. I am not exaggerating! The food was fantastic, and we were never disappointed with our choices. We took part in as many of the activities as we could, but just enjoying the property and the gorgeous lake were enough. We had such a good time, that we are planning a return visit this summer.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bellasmom42
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Before my trip, I'd heard a lot about Mohonk and wasn't quite sure what to expect. All in all, this was a bit below average for me in regards to the hotels I generally stay in. I was there for a conference - but due to the weather and snow, there really wasn't much to do. I checked out the spa, which was great but that was the highlight. The food at the conference was good (I'd heard many good things about the food) but all in all, the hotel is just old. Have you ever seen the Shining? That's what it's like!

I stayed in room 267 and my window didn't quite fit in it's frame. So ALL NIGHT LONG I heard wind blowing that even through earplugs could not be blocked out. It sounded like ghosts would sound wailing if they were around (which being a solo traveler totally freaked me out!). My room was clean, just very antiquated. Old furniture (scraped and battered), old quilts on the beds and weird carpet.

I'm assuming I got a good deal due to the conference (I paid about $300/night) but I can't imagine paying thousands of dollars like these other reviewers for my experience!
It's definitely a place to see and get away to - but don't expect it to have modern amenities! If you are truly looking for a place to just spend time with your family and not watch TV (there are none in the rooms) then do it. And again, I was a solo traveler - so with others it may have been more fun.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ellenville
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!