“Not much to complain about!”

Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I shall start by saying I am pretty picky about accommodations, customer service, noise, comfort and food!Lol
All were great!
I guess most all hotels have slamming doors which is an issue, but i read that the Tower rooms are best for quiet, so next time we will do just that…Having said that I offer a glowing report:
The staff was warm, lovely and helpful. Made us feel so welcome.
The bed and sheets were to die for!!!! Now i hate my own bed!
The food, especially dinner was a culinary adventure each night.
Tried some new house - designed cocktails that were divine!! And that yummy popcorn!
Our room was Lakeside with balcony. Exquisite view! Next time will try mountain view with fireplace!
Reported bum Pool Cues which was a bummer because we love to play pool.
The Gift store is so much fun to visit. I found lots of treasures to bring home to family.
Our only "beef" was we couldn't get NEAR the main fireplace or Spa fireplace, or practically any fireplace, due to a very large group there for Knitting Weekend!! Next time will shoot for mid week special!
The weather was foggy rainy and COLD but we found plenty to keep us busy including relaxing!
Have only just now read the place had had virus outbreak in February. Was quite impressed by the cleanliness factor. EVERYONE wore gloves. You were always served and asked not to help yourself. Now i know why, but yet and still, made us feel quite appreciative as I am a bit of a germaphobe!!!
We have been wanting to come to Mohonk for years. SO GLAD we finally did. Look so forward
to another visit in the future!

Room Tip: Choose rooms top three floors for less foot traffic noise. Country rooms are newer but peeked at ol...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LBJ62
Write a ReviewReviews (2,125)

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Service was very attentive.
Room was old but very clean.
Excellent wifi access.
No television in room however.
I'd recommend it for business retreats.
I believe it would be a good place for a couples getaway too.
The room had a working fireplace and the bathroom was very clean.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MichaelRZ
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Our children gave us a wonderful Christmas gift, of a weekend at the Mohonk Mountain House. The location is absolutely breathtaking, and our room 453, overlooked the mountains. It had a balcony, with two rocking chairs, that I'm sure would be a perfect spot in warmer weather. It also had a nice, working fireplace. The hotel is 145 years old, and the architecture is wonderful. One thing I noticed right away about Mohonk, is how friendly everyone is. The staff seem to go out of their way to make sure you are enjoying yourself, and are always smiling. I am not exaggerating! The food was fantastic, and we were never disappointed with our choices. We took part in as many of the activities as we could, but just enjoying the property and the gorgeous lake were enough. We had such a good time, that we are planning a return visit this summer.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bellasmom42
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Before my trip, I'd heard a lot about Mohonk and wasn't quite sure what to expect. All in all, this was a bit below average for me in regards to the hotels I generally stay in. I was there for a conference - but due to the weather and snow, there really wasn't much to do. I checked out the spa, which was great but that was the highlight. The food at the conference was good (I'd heard many good things about the food) but all in all, the hotel is just old. Have you ever seen the Shining? That's what it's like!

I stayed in room 267 and my window didn't quite fit in it's frame. So ALL NIGHT LONG I heard wind blowing that even through earplugs could not be blocked out. It sounded like ghosts would sound wailing if they were around (which being a solo traveler totally freaked me out!). My room was clean, just very antiquated. Old furniture (scraped and battered), old quilts on the beds and weird carpet.

I'm assuming I got a good deal due to the conference (I paid about $300/night) but I can't imagine paying thousands of dollars like these other reviewers for my experience!
It's definitely a place to see and get away to - but don't expect it to have modern amenities! If you are truly looking for a place to just spend time with your family and not watch TV (there are none in the rooms) then do it. And again, I was a solo traveler - so with others it may have been more fun.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Jenny R
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Our stay was in March of 2013 (review long overdue).

ROOM - We stayed in room 161. It was my three teenagers and myself and we were quite comfortable in the room. It was quiet, clean and cozy. We made use of the fireplace and also enjoyed the view. Shower, water temperature, cleanliness of bathroom were all superb.

FOOD - Top-notch food and service. Afternoon tea and cookies were delightful.

ACTIVITIES - The skating rink with the huge fireplace and music playing is like a dream. We were there during the week so, it wasn't busy at all. We had the rink to ourselves a lot of the time. My son went on an informative nature hike and really enjoyed it. All four of us used the pool and it gorgeous and well-kept. The spa facilities were spotless and inviting.

I highly recommend visiting Mohonk. We were there during colder weather and loved it but, I imagine during the summer, it's a fantastic place to be as well.

Room Tip: The rectangular rooms in the towers have super-thick walls so, they are really quiet. We really lik...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Happy2bCR
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This was our second visit to Mohonk and we were not disappointed. It is a great place to really get away from the hustle and bustle of the big city, despite only being a few hours drive away. The house and the setting are really beautiful and there are plenty of activities to fill the time.

The price is steep given the food is good but not great, and the rooms are comfortable, but small and in need or some sprucing up. Also, they are currently doing some renovations (on weekdays), and you can hear clanging and banging around the house (albeit not in the bedrooms).

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Andrew P
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Went last December and caught some snow which was spectacular. Go for the walks around the grounds in the preserve. You can choose how vigorous a hike you want. Breakfast and lunch are good although dinner a little off - complex menu but large banquet hall. The rooms are amazing though and the fireplaces in the old rooms are a treat. The spa was spacious and nice. Very good service and helpful manager when we had an issue.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 5 in Highland
New Paltz Hostel
New Paltz Hostel
#1 of 2 in New Paltz

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!