“Wonderful Spa & Tasty Lunch”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wonderful Spa & Tasty Lunch”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

8 of my girlfriends and I when to the spa on our girls weekend. We did not stay at the hotel. Booking appointments was easy. The spa had wonderful amenities. Everyone loved their services. I had a pregnancy massage that relieved all my pregnancy pains. I just wish i could have taken a nap on the massage table after the massage was over!
Afterwards we had a great lunch in the bar area. Highly recommend the burger & veggie panini sandwich.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank skd45

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Korean first
new york
Reviewed March 3, 2014

For $1000 a night (which includes 3 very good meals for a family of 4) I expect a lot more. The grounds are beautiful but the room is terrible. We were placed in the fifth floor which is pretty much like an attic due to the low ceilings. The rooms were very clean but very small. I got to admit, the beds are very comfortable. The pool is beautiful and there is a lot to do outside on the grounds, but I just expected a lot nicer room. I would not come back here, instead I would go to the crystal lodge which is about $300/night but does NOT include food. the room there are a lot nicer and there is also a lot of stuff to do there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank meron76
MohonkMountainHouse, Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Meron76,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed many of the things that make Mohonk Mountain House so special – the inclusive rate, the delicious meals, the beautiful grounds, the comfortable beds, the pool and our outdoor activities. And while many of our guests spend most of their time outside of their rooms, we understand that the size of your room may not have suited your needs for a family a four. We have many different room types and we do our best to place guests in the most comfortable accommodations. We apologize that your experience was not ideal for your family.

Katie Martello
Assistant Director of Marketing
Yorktown Heights, New York
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This place holds many memories for me since it was the first trip my husband and I ever took together. Each year we stay at the Mountain House for Valentine's Day and fell in love with the romantic ambiance and the formal dress attire for dinner. This year due to their virus outbreak which did not stop us, nor our pockets from spending close to $1,000 dollars for the night nor will I count the thousands spent on the place from years of going there, we still convinced our friend and his wife to join us and assured them they will want to return for many years, but what an embarrassment it turned out to be for us and the Mountain House. When we arrived we requested a late dinner at 9 pm since we checked in at 5 and asked if we would be able to order from the menu in the formal dining area, which we were told "yes", when we arrived to dinner I guess many people canceled because of the virus and there were only about 8 couples dining. We requested that we did not want to eat from the buffet since our friends deserve to order from the menu...we were told the kitchen was closed at 9 pm by the waiter. I was extremely irritated because regardless of how many guest you accommodate there was no reason for the kitchen to be closed, especially after spending $1,000 for one night and let us not forget that they should have been fully prepared to open back the place without incompetence to satisfy the guest who managed to still be patrons due to snow storms, viruses and many people taking days off of work to show up on a Friday afternoon. Despite all we went to the bar and bought about $100 dollars worth of drinks. My husband puffed his electronic cigarette which he probably did not think would offend anyone since everyone seemed to be minding their own business, however one couple did complain to the trashy loud bartender who said no electronic cigarettes allowed. Without wanting to further offend anyone he stopped and walked out of the room because the uneducated bartenders engaged in a loud uncomfortable conversation about smokers with the guest who complained. As staff of any establishment I know that it is difficult at times to conduct your trashy mouths...I would not expect any different from a bartender, but this place really need to tell their college student unsophisticated workers how to act in front of their guests. In addition, when we returned to our room ready to get into bed we had to call for maintenance due to our loud rattling radiator and wait for another half an hour before this night of hell ended. In all honesty I do not care for this place any longer and would use my money at The Four Seasons as I should have in the first place. I would not waste another penny here after this experience!

6 Thank Mishell5310
Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I've been here many times, but never in the winter. The rooms are old but well furnished and quite clean and everything works as it is supposed to. No TV. Many nooks and crannies for sitting and reading or talking, a decent bar, and two good places to eat: restaurant and general dining room...plus a place for afternoon tea, etc. The gift show also has a basic coffee bar. The Spa is first rate, if a bit over priced. The staff is well trained and very competent. Lots of families and "nieces and their uncles" (if you get my drift). It's easy to tell the "normal" family folks from those who are there to have an affair or pretend that's what they are doing. The quality of the food gets better each time I go there. If you like to hike, ski, skate, swim and that kind of stuff...you won't be disappointed. Even the children who are there are rather sedate and I didn't have to leave a room because of loud or unruly kids. I was there over New Years and the entertainment was not very good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Bethpage, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2014

This hotel has always been on my radar to stay at, and we were blessed with a gift card to stay here. We got a Victoria Lakeside room with a fireplace. We arrived on a Saturday morning at about 11am and were luckily able to check in at that time.
Unfortunately, I inspected the bed right away and found hairs all over the sheets and bedding. We got the housekeepers to change this right away, but I should have had to do that. For an $800/night room especially.
We had a nice lunch in the great big dining hall overlooking the mountains. Food quality was great. So was dinner & breakfast. Thankful that all was included.
Our fireplace took a few tries for us to get going, but guest services helped us out. The beds were comfy and our deck was great to have.
Also, another bad issue was the shower head. It was pretty awful, and the water was only coming out of the tub faucet. We did address this issue and were helped by the manager for this, so thank you.
The spa was gorgeous. I did a massage and we did a private meditation class.
The grounds were great to walk around in, even in snowy weather. The hotel itself is huge and there is literally a place to sit on every floor and every corner. So many hidden rooms. Very cool. We had a great time overall!
The entertainment for the night was a fun soul band, and i'm glad that was there.

4 Thank deekzee
MohonkMountainHouse, Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear DeekZee,

Thank you so much for the positive comments throughout your review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed so many parts of your Mohonk Mountain House experience. We apologize that you had to call for issues in your room, but we’re happy that they were resolved to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back to our House again soon!

Katie Martello
Assistant Director of Marketing
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

After having to reschedule our visit due to the norovirus outbreak, we were able to visit a few days after our original reservation. Overall, the resort was beautiful and we had a great time. We even wanted to stay and extra night! As soon as we arrived, although our room was not ready, we were able to start activities right away. Within the first 30 minutes of our arrival we had already put on our snow shoes (from the ski shop) and began hiking through the trails. The people in the ski shop were very friendly and very helpful. This was the first time both of us had experienced snow shoeing and cross country skiing and the staff in the pro shop put us at ease. We snowshoed our way up to the skytop trail. It's a must do. The views from the top of the mountain were spectacular. We couldn't believe that we were just a short drive from New Jersey.
We then had lunch (buffet style) and it was pretty good. I am a picky eater, but I found plenty of food to eat. If you do not have the meal included, the bill came out to 100.00 for 2 people. I thought that was a little pricy (but again, it came with our room rate). In the afternoon we enjoyed the indoor pool which has an open view of the mountains. The thing I did not enjoy at the pool was the room was heated high but the water was cold. It took some getting used to, to adjust your body to the water. Another thing I found annoying were the mob screaming children. I found that there were a lot of children at this resort and I was looking forward to some peace and quiet.
After our time in the pool, our room was ready (about 3pm an hour before check in). Our room was amazing. We stayed in a Lakeview room with a fireplace on the 4th floor. Spending the extra money for a room with a fireplace was totally worth it. We basically kept the fire going the entire time were in the room. The staff was more than willing to come help us start a fire each time (5 or 6 times). We had a balcony as well and even though it was frigid, we tried to sit outside for a few minutes to enjoy the view.
We had reservations in the formal dining room at 8pm, which is where I was less impressed. Yes it was nice and quiet, but the quality and choices of food were lacking. I ordered a strip steak and so did my boyfriend and the two meals looked completely opposite. My steak was small and his was twice the size. The waiter apologized and was more than willing to get me another one, but I did not want to wait another 20 minutes.
The next day we went snow tubing which was a lot of fun and then we went cross country skiing. We had planned to unwind in the pool in the afternoon but were upset to find that the pool was closed for some unknown reason. After speaking with a manager at the front desk, they gave us a 10% discount on our room so we could use that money to have access to the mineral pool in the spa. 25$ per person gives you complete access to an unbelievable spa. It is definitely worth the money. The mineral pool was an outdoor heated pool that was very relaxing. Inside we had full access to a coed relaxation room and full use of showers and other bathing amenities.

Overall our trip was great. We will definitely be returning in the warm weather season to check out what else Mohonk has to offer.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jaclyn R
New York
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Let me start out by saying I have stayed here several times as have members of my family. This review isn't about a stay there but the hotel's customer service. As a Christmas gift I purchased a gift certificate for my parents for a night at the mountain house. As a result of the virus making the news, they asked me to cancel the gift certificate for a full refund. I was disappointed that they didn't want to go and enjoy the place- as it really is a great place to relax.

I didn't want to cancel it and was expecting an issue about it as there was not a lot of time left on the certificate. I spoke to Erick in guest services and he informed me that I would be issued a full refund within a few days which I was. This made my parents very happy and I truly appreciate their dedication to first class customer service. Looks like my wife and I will be spending a few nights in the future as the staff here really accommodate and appreciate their customers. Thank you Mohonk and look forward to visiting soon!

4 Thank Gimper90
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
New Paltz Hostel
New Paltz Hostel
#1 of 2 in New Paltz

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!