“Short Getaway”

and 1 more site!
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

After having to reschedule our visit due to the norovirus outbreak, we were able to visit a few days after our original reservation. Overall, the resort was beautiful and we had a great time. We even wanted to stay and extra night! As soon as we arrived, although our room was not ready, we were able to start activities right away. Within the first 30 minutes of our arrival we had already put on our snow shoes (from the ski shop) and began hiking through the trails. The people in the ski shop were very friendly and very helpful. This was the first time both of us had experienced snow shoeing and cross country skiing and the staff in the pro shop put us at ease. We snowshoed our way up to the skytop trail. It's a must do. The views from the top of the mountain were spectacular. We couldn't believe that we were just a short drive from New Jersey.
We then had lunch (buffet style) and it was pretty good. I am a picky eater, but I found plenty of food to eat. If you do not have the meal included, the bill came out to 100.00 for 2 people. I thought that was a little pricy (but again, it came with our room rate). In the afternoon we enjoyed the indoor pool which has an open view of the mountains. The thing I did not enjoy at the pool was the room was heated high but the water was cold. It took some getting used to, to adjust your body to the water. Another thing I found annoying were the mob screaming children. I found that there were a lot of children at this resort and I was looking forward to some peace and quiet.
After our time in the pool, our room was ready (about 3pm an hour before check in). Our room was amazing. We stayed in a Lakeview room with a fireplace on the 4th floor. Spending the extra money for a room with a fireplace was totally worth it. We basically kept the fire going the entire time were in the room. The staff was more than willing to come help us start a fire each time (5 or 6 times). We had a balcony as well and even though it was frigid, we tried to sit outside for a few minutes to enjoy the view.
We had reservations in the formal dining room at 8pm, which is where I was less impressed. Yes it was nice and quiet, but the quality and choices of food were lacking. I ordered a strip steak and so did my boyfriend and the two meals looked completely opposite. My steak was small and his was twice the size. The waiter apologized and was more than willing to get me another one, but I did not want to wait another 20 minutes.
The next day we went snow tubing which was a lot of fun and then we went cross country skiing. We had planned to unwind in the pool in the afternoon but were upset to find that the pool was closed for some unknown reason. After speaking with a manager at the front desk, they gave us a 10% discount on our room so we could use that money to have access to the mineral pool in the spa. 25$ per person gives you complete access to an unbelievable spa. It is definitely worth the money. The mineral pool was an outdoor heated pool that was very relaxing. Inside we had full access to a coed relaxation room and full use of showers and other bathing amenities.

Overall our trip was great. We will definitely be returning in the warm weather season to check out what else Mohonk has to offer.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jaclyn R
Write a ReviewReviews (2,105)

999 - 1,005 of 2,105 reviews

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Let me start out by saying I have stayed here several times as have members of my family. This review isn't about a stay there but the hotel's customer service. As a Christmas gift I purchased a gift certificate for my parents for a night at the mountain house. As a result of the virus making the news, they asked me to cancel the gift certificate for a full refund. I was disappointed that they didn't want to go and enjoy the place- as it really is a great place to relax.

I didn't want to cancel it and was expecting an issue about it as there was not a lot of time left on the certificate. I spoke to Erick in guest services and he informed me that I would be issued a full refund within a few days which I was. This made my parents very happy and I truly appreciate their dedication to first class customer service. Looks like my wife and I will be spending a few nights in the future as the staff here really accommodate and appreciate their customers. Thank you Mohonk and look forward to visiting soon!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gimper90
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband took my daughters and I for a long weekend in recognition of a milestone birthday and we couldn't have been happier. The staff were well-organized so it was very easy to fall into the Mohonk routine and rhythm. The food was superb and bountiful. The setting is amazing--we had a great time skating and cross-country skiing. I had a very rejuvenating swedish massage in the spa, too. We all loved it and are scheming for a way to do it more regularly!

Room Tip: Love the tower rooms!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura L
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had previously been to Mohank for a girls weekend visit in Jan. years ago. It was during Scottish Theme Weekend. It seems I have only visited Mohank in the winter with snow on the ground. It has a wonderful spa/solarium and breathtaking natural beauty. On this occasion I had the chance to experience Mohank with my husband (who is an outdoors man, but willing to dress up for a nice meal and please his wife). I booked a tower room overlooking the lake. We stayed for 3 days/2 nights. This rooms are expensive, but include fireplace, exquisite views, claw legged tub,glass shower, and king-size bed. We loved the decor (very Victorian with great woodwork and carvings. People were just leaving from the Martin Luther King break so we were peacefully without crowds. It was a wonderful to walk through the hallways admiring the history of this place and the people who visited. Room prices included breakfast buffet, dinner, afternoon tea/cookies, pool/locker room and other outdoor facilities. They were quite accommodating as we used the pool while our room was being prepared. The staff was friendly and understood the word service. We were provided with some great snowshoe trails insights from the staff and we snowshoed our way over miles of trails. You can see 6 states from the top of Outlook, but it was a little too snowy for us to see them. We were quite pleased with the warming fireplaces and the cozy leather chairs awaiting us when we come in. Our dinners were well prepared and again the staff was accommodating to box our dessert so we could enjoy it our room by the fire. Mohank also has a greenhouse which was an oasis of spring on this snowy day. I hope to visit again in another season, because the deep holes in the lake are calling my fisherman husband and I want to try rock climbing with the kids.

Room Tip: If you have the money to spend for a special occasion together go with the tower room on the lake si...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Eastcoasttravelfan
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We had one of the better rooms but it was dark and the furniture was not comfortable. Although we were on an upper floor we had to close the curtains as the walkers could look into our room. You have to eat all your meals there and the buffets become boring. Perhaps if you stayed one or two nights it would be okay but you do miss the opportunity to eat at some of the interesting restaurants in the area. It needs a better marriage of historic and comfort.

Room Tip: If you face the lake you don't get sunset and it gets dark early.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank delen1
MohonkMountainHouse, Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Delen1,

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy some parts of your stay at Mohonk Mountain House. Our culinary team works very hard to make each of your meals enjoyable and many guests comment about the wide selection of the lunch buffet and appreciate the three-course dinner served every evening in the dining room. Again, our apologies that your experience fell short of your expectations.

Katie Martello
Assistant Director of Marketing

Reviewed February 7, 2014

My wife and I went to Mohonk for their Jazz on the Mountain weekend, and we loved it. The performers were all outstanding, although we particularly enjoyed the the quartet on Friday night. Overall, Mohonk is a beautiful place. You enter through a gate and then proceed to drive several miles up the mountain through woods and manicured grounds. Even in the winter it had a serene beauty to it.

My wife had a spa treatment on Saturday and she couldn't stop raving about it. The room was nice, but the highlight was the wood burning fireplace which a staff member was nice enough to come start for us.

Overall a peaceful winter getaway, and considering it only took us three hours from Philadelphia, we'll definitely be coming again!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank George A
Reviewed February 6, 2014

My wife and I were supposed to stay at the hotel this weekend and just got a voicemail last night that they are completely shutting down the hotel bc of the outbreak of the norovirus to many guests and staff. Unlike the experience of other reviewers, I'm happy that they had the decency to tell us about it and take measures to clean the situation up.

On the other hand, they were quite unfriendly in how they dealt with the situation. I called them back to understand what my options were and was passed around to multiple people. It's like no one wanted to touch the hot potato topic. When I asked if there were any other hotels they would suggest, they had no response. When I asked if they were going to do anything for the guests given the inconvenience they are causing, their only response was that they were refunding my deposit. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, they just forwarded me into his voicemail.

There are a lot of ways to handle a PR-nightmare like this one. Even the cruise industry understands this one. It seems like a nice enough place, but clearly there's so many people clamoring to go that they don't feel the need to deal with the ones they have inconvenienced.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
19  Thank alanlee00
MohonkMountainHouse, Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Alan,

We are so sorry to hear about your experience with our reservation center. The issue at Mohonk Mountain House has been fast-moving, and the extent of the situation has only recently become apparent to us and to Health Department officials. We have been working diligently to personally contact every guest with a reservation between now and February 13 to let them know that we will be closed. We are not accepting new guests until check-in on Friday, February 14, 2014.

We took this extraordinary measure because the well-being of our guests and staff is paramount. We regret any inconvenience our closing will cause, but we believe the steps we’ve taken represent the right course of action for everyone.

We appreciate your feedback as we work through this challenging situation and we will use it to improve our service to our guests. We are reaching out to you personally to discuss this further.

Nina Smiley

#1 of 2 in New Paltz
Stonegate Bed and Breakfast
5 mi away
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!