“Beautiful place to explore”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed February 1, 2014

From gardens, hiking, dining or just hanging out this place is wonderful. Bed and Breakfast type of rooms....grounds are wonderful and people are gracious. Spa is pricey but unbeatable. We were treated like royalty. Prices can be hefty but can be worth it. Have been back couple of times to the grounds and dining.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cherylann03

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Have been here 6 times in over 25 years. Some things do not change. We have a love hate relationship. Let me explain. It is a jewel of a setting: alpine lake at the top of the Shawagunk mountains, one hour plus from NYC. There is really nothing quite like it. Giant rocks left by the glacier, wood gazebos all over the place, trails & trails for you or a horse. It is just nature at it's best. A hodgepodge of architecture added on since the late 1800's right on the lake. Stunning in autumn. Great new construction : outdoor ice rink, spa, indoor pool. Voted #1 spa in USA by Conde Nast. Here are the negatives: Food has improved over the years but foodies: they totally miss the mark. They try, but do not succeed. Do not come for the food. Eat wisely: steak, salad, and ice cream. Get the point? Forget their osso bucco. Fatty & greasy swimming in too much sauce. Fancy sous vide chicken was cooked good but ruined with the mushrooms salty with way too many potatoes. I like to dine- not all you can eat. Apple cobbler? If you say so. I don't know what that was. A profiterole - like pastry was hard. Just disappointed yet again. Pet peeve: cold plates. CIA graduates work here? Did they flunk?I advised you stick to basics but we just had to see if they improved. Be aware if there is a large group they will shuffle you away from the main dining room to a wing. We ate in a ghost town. Spooky with only two other tables occupied. We do not like this, and they say jackets requested. I comply, give some respect to the establishment & history, while made to feel 2nd class. Everyone else in jeans. #1 spa? Beautifully done in mountain motif. We have had many hot stone massages all over the USA & abroad . I am not bragging. We find them therapeutic and spend our discretionary $$ this way. It was the BEST we have had since visiting another highly rated spa in the south west over ten years ago. How many in between have never hit the mark. Kelly & Jacqueline: you will be very busy after people read this. Mark my words! Negative: #1 spa? I was told go down to the men's locker room. No one to greet me. I was alone. One demerit. Out door mineral spa: Faced the building instead of the mountains. Another demerit. Indoor pool? Beautiful with an air temp (I was warned) is year round 87 degrees. Are they crazy? Wake up people! Vent that hot air. Get rid of that overwhelming chlorine smell. Sauna & steam not hot enough. Barely broke a sweat. #1 for hot stone massage & much less for the reasons stated. I will be back for the massages, the natural beauty, and will stay safe with the food & leave the jacket home. Fore warned is forearmed!

Room Tip: Stay away from smelly fireplace rooms.
5  Thank lfbmonkey
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This place is a budgetary stretch for us but we've been here a few times and it was always worth it. The setting is beautiful, I think, one of the most beautiful places on the planet. They have so many trails, so many activities and the food is outstanding. We love the old hotel history and how well they have preserved many of the artifacts from its early days. Each season offers a different way to enjoy this place. And the spa is world class. Just keep in mind that there are no televisions in the rooms and at night sometimes it's a little drafty in the bigger rooms in the fall and winter.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy G
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband surprised me for my 30th birthday taking me to Mohonk Mountain House. We drove up on a Thursday and you enter with the sight of this beautiful castle looking building glowing with lights from the inside. He nor I had never been to Mohonk, but this was the trip of a lifetime. I cannot wait to go back. Everything from the service, to the spa, the food to the room were top notch. Everyone was so kind, friendly and helpful. The staff is so proud of the mountain house and it shows. The food was top notch Always a bountiful display of food at the buffets and dinner was outstanding courses, all unique, with delectable desserts.

We also spent time in the spa. I can say that is was the nicest, friendliest, most beautiful spa I have ever been in and we have been to a lot here in the states, as well as in other countries. The facility was gorgeous, and the services and staff were perfection. The fitness room had top quality equipment and we used it 3 times.

We went up for a long weekend-a Thursday evening to a Sunday. We went in January and the grounds were stunning. You could see for miles at the meals and look into the Catskills. Mohonk made me appreciate the winter season. We walked the grounds in the clear blue weather and then also in the snow. We went ice skating in their amazing rink twice.

This will not be my last trip to Mohonk. If you can go, go now. You will not be disappointed. I cannot wait to go back. My husband and I are talking about when we can go back again for another long weekend. The activities they offer are endless and you'd never get bored!

Room Tip: We chose an older room, but room renovation was happening, so we got a newer room. Still stunning-bu...
3  Thank Kristyn F
Reviewed January 21, 2014

If a revisited property did not live up to its rating from a previous review I would certainly update it to clarify how it fell short, so it seems only fair, after a couple more visits, to write a brief update of a place that manages to maintain it's standards as well as MMH does. We continue to be surprised at the level of service from a staff who all know they're not getting tips because service, at a flat rate, is added to the room prices. We have never, literally never, encountered any staff member who was less than pleasantly courteous and helpful, and the overwhelming majority are very friendly and go out of their way to accommodate any reasonable request; and I am not only referring to those little courtesies which they've obviously been trained in.

All the cautions mentioned in previous reviews still apply; Mohonk is maintaining the ambience of a traditional mountain house, not the ambience of a downtown big-city luxury hotel. Nowadays, the hotel on weekends is full of a wide range, in every way, of guests; the overwhelming majority seem thrilled to be there. Families with young kids love the kiddie programs; outdoors lovers love the property, spa users (definitely not us) tell us the spa services are of a high standard, and almost everyone seems to enjoy the food.

The property is continuously being upgraded and they manage to keep the work in progress unobtrusive.

One last comment; I rated it "excellent" but actually my evaluation has never changed from "very, very good", a rating not available on Trip Advisor.

We've recommended MMH to many people, and all who visited have come back very happy form their visits.

Room Tip: When booking, tell them what you'd like. Fireplace? Bath tub? Room refrigerator? View of lake...
3  Thank Rags2006
MohonkMountainHouse, Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Acaida,

At Mohonk Mountain House we are reading your review with delight!

We're so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay and that you'll be visiting again.

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback--we'll be sure to pass along your praise to all the employees you mentioned.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

My girlfriend and I made last minute plans for the long weekend due to the MLK holiday. We booked rooms for Saturday night and Sunday night and based on what we were told, expected to pay about $625 per night. At this price, I expected an above average room, some luxury treatment, something, anything, that would make spending at leat $630 a night worth while. When we arrived we were brought to a room that was tiny and had a ceiling that sunk, making half the room hard to stand up in (I am only 6 feet tall). The carpet had stains all over and the old, ugly couch had tearts all over it. Had I seen a picture of the this room beforehand I would not have agreed to pay more than $75 a night. We complained and we were moved to a 1st floor room (ground level) that had a view of the parking lot. This room was even smaller and the only difference is that it had a fire place (when we chose to try and make a fire, not even the staff could get it started for us...making it useless). When we ordered room service we were not able to eat it anywhere but in bed because the room was so small. I cannot stress enough how over priced everything about this place was.... from the alcohol (we live in NYC and these drinks were more expensive and not included in any part of the "free" meals). Eating here reminded me very strongly of eating on a cruise ship. Very crowded, lots of kids running around screaming, and mediocre food. And whenever you needed a waiter or waitress, it was next to impossible to find one.

The spa seemed nice enough until I actually received my 50-minute massage. It is not that it was a horrible massage, but I have had enough to know when someone is actually skilled and when someone is simply mediocre. Unfortunately my massage was mediocre. My girlfriend had a facial and she seemed to think it was decent. For these less than hour long treatments we paid $300. I simply cannot believe the claims that this is one of the top 10 spa's in the country.

And for every single thing that happens at this lodge/spa, you pay gratuity whether it is deserved or not. And you do not get to decide on the amount. Everything - room service, all the "free" meals, all the treatments... literally anything you do, eat, drink, sleep... it all consists of tips ranging from 12-20%. After paying $560 a night, plus an "overnight fee" of just about $70 a night, they also add in a 12% gratuity for the cleaning service (the cleaning was a joke as all that was done was changing of sheets, literally).

Please let me stress again that this room was not worth more than $75 a night. Think of a 1 star bed&breakfast or a Motel 6 and you will get the picture. Now imagine paying $630 a night for that room. My girlfriend and I stayed 7 nights at the wonderful AnDaz resort in Maui... it was almost the same cost as 2 nights at the Mohonk Mountain House.

The very worst part of the whole experience was check-out. We checked out at 1245 (15min early) and went to go sort out our bill bc they had charged us multiple times for a room-service gratuity (a duplicate $13 fee that would have gone unnoticed if we did not carefully look over our bill). Well the line at the front desk was very long so we decided to eat some lunch and come back after. It was not long passed 1pm when we returned and the front desk decided to go ahead and charge my credit card on file (although my girlfriend and I planned to split this expense). When the full amount would not go through on my credit card, they decided to charge my debit card I had used days earlier simply to pay the deposit. I NEVER use a debit card at hotels and I did not authorize this charge on my debit card. So it took us 20-30minutes with the front desk as they had to go into the back room and investigate the erroneous double charge as well as discover why multiple credit and debit cards had been charged. My girlfriend ended up paying just $500 and my debit card was suppose to be reimbursed $500 first thing Tuesday morning (today). Surprise, nothing has been done. I was told to call if this was the case. I called 3 times, was transferred all around and no one was willing to discuss this with me. Finally I left a voicemail with the woman who was supposed to help. 3 hours later I have not received a call.

This 2 night stay was an absolutely terrible experience and it cost $2,000 when busfare from NYC is factored in. At this price, we could have flown to Miami and stayed at a luxury suite at the W or another 4 star hotel.

DO NOT GO HERE if you do not have young children or if you do not want to spend at least $2,000 for terrible lodging and mediocre everything else.

Mohonk staff, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my call back and a time frame on when I can expect the hold on my debit card to be lifted (again, an unauthorized charge before we even had a chance to pay at the front desk).

Room Tip: Ask to view a picture of rooms before booking. I can almost guarantee you will choose not to book a...
21  Thank Jonathan D

Dear Jonathan,

First, I am so sorry about your experience at Mohonk Mountain House. It is clear that we did not live up to your expectations. We have already followed up with our staff regarding the issues that you and your girlfriend encountered during your stay.

I’m glad that our Front Desk Manager was able to reach you yesterday to clarify the billing issues. We are taking your comments very seriously and Our Guest Relations Manager will be following up with you directly.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We booked directly from the hotel, room, dinner, lunch and breakfast for over $700.00. It was Sunday to Monday, (Martin Luther Kings Birthday).When we first arrived the young lady at guest service told us there were no more seatings available in the formal dining room, but we could eat at the buffet. After insisting on speaking to the manager, they found us a seating. Next we asked if we could use our lunch for Sunday instead of Monday, she said no problem but we would have to go to the buffet. Had no interest at the buffet went to the pub ordered lunch and spent $118.00. Next went to the room where there was a t.v. (because there are only 2), the room had a problem with the heat and everyone had to sit there with blankets. Walked to the spa to make spa treatments but they had nothing available for the two days. After dinner Jazz event, we were sitting upstairs it was so hot. The next morning breakfast is only from 8 - 9:30, missed that, couldn't wait to leave which we did by 10. Don't waste your money!!! .......Go to Newport Rhode Island instead

Room Tip: Don't go..................
9  Thank Julie11111112014

Dear Julie,

I am so sorry that you had such a disappointing visit. Please email your contact information to me at kmartello@mohonk.com so that we can follow up with you personally.

Thank you for taking the time to outline your concerns, please be assured that we will be sharing them with our staff.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Paltz
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz
Twin Lakes Lodge
Twin Lakes Lodge
#2 of 2 in Hurley

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!