“One day is enough to feel the charm of Mohonk ( and cheaper)”

and 1 more site!
Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed August 20, 2008

I, most definitely, can’t afford to pay minimum $ 480 per night at Mohonk but really wanted to visit that place. So I called hotel and was offered two options. First one is to buy a daily pass ($ 25 per adult and $ 12 for child), which gives you access to the grounds only. Second choice is to purchase breakfast, lunch, or brunch (Sunday only). With the second option you can be inside and outside of the hotel. So we went for Sunday brunch, which was excellent. Then we took a carriage ride for 1hours ($ 24 per person). Hiking is the must when going to Mohonk. You can rent a boat ($ 12 per hour) or just relax on the porch on the rocking chair. Planning another visit in October during fall foliage.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed August 16, 2008

Mohonk Mountain House's location is thrillingly beautiful. And the hotel itself is gorgeous from the outside. Best way to see it is for a day visit to hike the gorgeous grounds and perhaps have lunch (decent but nothing special) at the hotel. If you wish to pay $600 (minimum) or more for a mediocre hotel, go ahead and stay the night. Our $600 in August got us a small, "traditional" (definition: small room, shabby furniture, no balcony, broken light bulbs, broken safe, broken electric outlets in bathroom). Hotel service was completely overwhelmed by a full house. The reservations department lost our dinner reservation, which was for lobster, and refused to let my wife eat lobster because all lobsters were supposedly reserved by others. Activities were over-booked. Our final bill, which was automatically increased by 15% for "service," contained an over-charge. Bottom line: the property is a "can't miss" in terms of spending an afternoon hiking. But an overnight stay is not worth the cost or aggravation.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank heroldra
Reviewed August 9, 2008

This place was very over-priced for the quality. I have been to the Greenbrier, Homestead, etc and this place does not compare. The food was so-so, the service at dinner was very very slow, at breakfast they never refilled coffee or juice, etc. The hallways are quite long making it difficult for elderly to get around, we were charged a fee for a golf cart to get my elderly father around the property?!? The dining room was filled with rude, noisy children running around or crying. However, the property is quite beautiful,the walking trails were in excellent shape and the outdoor activities were numerous and quite good. Tennis program was very good as well.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank sdisanto
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Good Tips: This was our third year visiting the Mohonk for a 15-person family reunion. I cannot say a negative thing about that beautiful place. We (2 boys/family of 4) really enjoy hiking, rock scrambles, mountain biking, catching rainbow trout, swimming and this year I finally went into the spa for a relaxing massage! NOTE: If you book early, ask for the west dining hall for the 'formal dining' at dinner. Bring your sport coat/suit or a dress. The food is excellent and a little quieter than the main dining hall. This fills up very fast! Book early. Get to know the wait staff. They are very helpful and you will typically run into the same ones during your visit. We have asked for the same waiters/waitresses for the last 3 years!!!! Talk about service!

Reviewed July 27, 2008

I've been to island resorts, mountain lodges, luxury hotels, Four Seasons galore, yet Mohonk Mountain House is by far the best place I have ever stayed as a guest. My husband and I and two kids, ages 5 and 8, spent three nights. We hiked every day even when we hurt. We sat in many gazebo structures perched over cliffs for a hawk-like experience. We could hardly drag ourselves away from the enchanting lilly pond with its frogs and turtles and benches with loving tributes to wives who'd passed away. The staff, the setting, the thoughtfulness of it all is unmatched.

I immediately felt an emotional attachment to this beautiful place. There is a spirit of tradition, simplicity, beauty, family, respectfulness and preservation. Mohonk is not a place to stay as much as it is a place to experience. How did they know what my soul needed more than even I knew?

2  Thank MLEG
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My mother had been to Mohonk before and wanted my husband and me to share the experience. We were there for three days mid-week and I loved every single minute. I spent my childhood summers at a lake in Northeastern PA, and somehow Mohonk just felt like home. Even the sticky dresser drawers made me nostalgic. It is old-fashioned, no doubt about it. If you don't care for Victoriana, you probably shouldn't come. But if you want to experience a hotel which is as loved as a family home, consider Mohonk. The Smiley family take great pride in their castle and are eager to share it with visitors. One afternoon my husband visited with members of the family in their private parlor. I took a house tour with another family member. Our rooms were not luxurious, but they had every possible amenity, including central air (a new addition, we were told), wonderful bath products, a comfortable sitting area, and a spectacular view. But no TV. Really, if you want to watch TV, why go on vacation? Enjoy the nightly movies or the many other interesting programs which are provided! At Mohonk you can be as laid back or as active as you want. My mother (at age 85) took the former approach. She spent a lot of time in one of the many rocking chairs which line the many porches. And she and I enjoyed a morning at the very up-to-date Spa. Thanks to helpful staff with golf carts, she was able to get to the lobster cook-out and to the Picninc Lodge for lunch. She was also able to enjoy a carriage ride around the grounds. My husband and I took the more active approach, hiking on some of the many trails and taking a boat out on the lake. It was the only way I could see not to gain weight from all the spectacular food! I certainly plan to return to Mohonk. I would love to see it in the Spring or Fall.

1  Thank PaAnnie
Reviewed July 19, 2008

We've been visiting Mohonk once or twice a year for the past nine years. Our visits have steadily become less enjoyable because the guests have changed. By reading a handful of reviews, it's simple to discern that Mohonk's strength is its stunning location and opportunity to enjoy healthful, restorative physical activity. Many of the guests never leave the hotel because they are either part of a corporate group and they are working, or they visit Mohonk without doing much research. If watching lots of television and hanging out at the bar are part of your vacation plans, Mohonk is not the place for you.

Frankly, the problem is that many guests possess no good manners. They don't control their children despite signs posted everywhere. They stroll the grounds shirtless (men) and shoeless while holding loud and long cell phone conversations. Some guests act as if being asked to dress for dinner (no jeans, sneakers; jackets for men) is a bizarre, exceptional demand.

Some guests complain about the expense of a Mohonk stay. Yes, if one doesn't take advantage of all Mohonk offers, it would seem expensive. The memories of cross-country skiing on freshly-fallen snow; hiking to view the autumn colors accompanied by the smell of wood smoke; and of hours struggling to stand on the slippery log in the lake: they are priceless.

2  Thank BrusselsLouise
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!