“Great trails, climbing, food”

Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Good Tips: This was our third year visiting the Mohonk for a 15-person family reunion. I cannot say a negative thing about that beautiful place. We (2 boys/family of 4) really enjoy hiking, rock scrambles, mountain biking, catching rainbow trout, swimming and this year I finally went into the spa for a relaxing massage! NOTE: If you book early, ask for the west dining hall for the 'formal dining' at dinner. Bring your sport coat/suit or a dress. The food is excellent and a little quieter than the main dining hall. This fills up very fast! Book early. Get to know the wait staff. They are very helpful and you will typically run into the same ones during your visit. We have asked for the same waiters/waitresses for the last 3 years!!!! Talk about service!

Reviewed July 27, 2008

I've been to island resorts, mountain lodges, luxury hotels, Four Seasons galore, yet Mohonk Mountain House is by far the best place I have ever stayed as a guest. My husband and I and two kids, ages 5 and 8, spent three nights. We hiked every day even when we hurt. We sat in many gazebo structures perched over cliffs for a hawk-like experience. We could hardly drag ourselves away from the enchanting lilly pond with its frogs and turtles and benches with loving tributes to wives who'd passed away. The staff, the setting, the thoughtfulness of it all is unmatched.

I immediately felt an emotional attachment to this beautiful place. There is a spirit of tradition, simplicity, beauty, family, respectfulness and preservation. Mohonk is not a place to stay as much as it is a place to experience. How did they know what my soul needed more than even I knew?

2  Thank MLEG
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My mother had been to Mohonk before and wanted my husband and me to share the experience. We were there for three days mid-week and I loved every single minute. I spent my childhood summers at a lake in Northeastern PA, and somehow Mohonk just felt like home. Even the sticky dresser drawers made me nostalgic. It is old-fashioned, no doubt about it. If you don't care for Victoriana, you probably shouldn't come. But if you want to experience a hotel which is as loved as a family home, consider Mohonk. The Smiley family take great pride in their castle and are eager to share it with visitors. One afternoon my husband visited with members of the family in their private parlor. I took a house tour with another family member. Our rooms were not luxurious, but they had every possible amenity, including central air (a new addition, we were told), wonderful bath products, a comfortable sitting area, and a spectacular view. But no TV. Really, if you want to watch TV, why go on vacation? Enjoy the nightly movies or the many other interesting programs which are provided! At Mohonk you can be as laid back or as active as you want. My mother (at age 85) took the former approach. She spent a lot of time in one of the many rocking chairs which line the many porches. And she and I enjoyed a morning at the very up-to-date Spa. Thanks to helpful staff with golf carts, she was able to get to the lobster cook-out and to the Picninc Lodge for lunch. She was also able to enjoy a carriage ride around the grounds. My husband and I took the more active approach, hiking on some of the many trails and taking a boat out on the lake. It was the only way I could see not to gain weight from all the spectacular food! I certainly plan to return to Mohonk. I would love to see it in the Spring or Fall.

1  Thank PaAnnie
Reviewed July 19, 2008

We've been visiting Mohonk once or twice a year for the past nine years. Our visits have steadily become less enjoyable because the guests have changed. By reading a handful of reviews, it's simple to discern that Mohonk's strength is its stunning location and opportunity to enjoy healthful, restorative physical activity. Many of the guests never leave the hotel because they are either part of a corporate group and they are working, or they visit Mohonk without doing much research. If watching lots of television and hanging out at the bar are part of your vacation plans, Mohonk is not the place for you.

Frankly, the problem is that many guests possess no good manners. They don't control their children despite signs posted everywhere. They stroll the grounds shirtless (men) and shoeless while holding loud and long cell phone conversations. Some guests act as if being asked to dress for dinner (no jeans, sneakers; jackets for men) is a bizarre, exceptional demand.

Some guests complain about the expense of a Mohonk stay. Yes, if one doesn't take advantage of all Mohonk offers, it would seem expensive. The memories of cross-country skiing on freshly-fallen snow; hiking to view the autumn colors accompanied by the smell of wood smoke; and of hours struggling to stand on the slippery log in the lake: they are priceless.

2  Thank BrusselsLouise
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Sunday July 13th thru Wednesday July 16th, 2008. Our first trip there. I suggest you GO ! My husband and I are 61..we had a first floor Victorian room in a very quiet section of the hotel (room 069). The indoor pool was empty around 9AM each morning. The pool is very clean...there's showers there with shampoo conditioner and shower gel. Lots of exercise equipment in the gym. I didn't use any spa services but the facility is beautiful. We walked and hiked...go up to SkyTop...it's not a terribly difficult walk and the views on the way are spectacular. The food at Mohonk was scrumptuous. We went to the lunch and dinner buffets and did the clambake Tuesday night in the picnic grove. Get an Activity Sheet every day...they're laying around throughout the hotel. Always something going on. The grounds and gardens are beautiful. The staff treated us like royalty. I don't have one complaint. On the drive up I thought the price was priced rather high but after seeing what you get for that price I think it was worth every penny and we definitely will go back
again and again. I think it's quieter if you can go other than Friday and Saturday. Oh, Wednesday nights...weather permitting...the nightly movie is held outside on the lawn. Popcorn included.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon376946
Reviewed July 15, 2008

If you have $800 burning a hole in your pocket, there is no better place to spend it than in Mohonk Mountain House! This place offers something fascinating for every one no matter what age. If you are into tennis bring your gear since they have fantastic courts, both har tru and red clay.

The best part is that you don't have to be a hotel guest to use the grounds. One can enjoy -almost- all that Mohonk has to offer with a $57 lunch or a day pass (not sure how much the pass is)

If you are in New Paltz, NY, don't think twice about visiting Mohonk. I wish everyone could experience the grand beauty and old schoold charm of Mohonk.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 1, 2008

My husband and I chose to stay at the Mohonk for a weekend getaway without our 1.5 year old daughter. The grounds are well kept and absolutely beautiful. However, given the high price tag on the per night and full board price, our expectations of exceptional gourmet meals and luxurious rooms were not met.

CHECK IN: First of, we checked on the status of our room four times between 2:30 and 5:00 before being given our room key.

AFTERNOON TEA: The afternoon tea is nothing but tea and a choice of two different types of cookies that are served in baskets. The whole event was a free for all.

ACTIVITIES: We did enjoy the outdoor activities - golf, canoing, hiking, and the flower garden. As I mentioned, the grounds are beautiful, and the activities are abundant. The fitness center is also pretty decent.

DINNER: We were also disappointed with our dinner choice. We decided to go with the formal sit down dinner that required a jacket for men. Given the strict dress code, and the ability to choose between a buffet and a sit down, we expected a special evening. We were dispointed to find out the room was outdated, and not kept elegantly. The table clothes were a faded yellow that seemed to have been used for decades. The buffet room is definitely more grand and should have been where we spent our "romantic" dinner instead.

ROOMS: Our room did have a nice view of the sunset, but the rooms are comparable to a 3 star hotel. Rooms do have character, but have old carpeting, no TVs, and a psuedo antique desk.

The hotel is beautiful and can meet the expectations of those paying the high price by updating the rooms. I'm not expecting flat screen tvs, but the there is definetly room for improvement. Additionally, the dining services, especially the sit down dinner should be improved to provide a more intimate dining experience, what most adults choose over a buffet dinner.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank GutierrezP
New Paltz Hostel
#1 of 2 in New Paltz
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz
Stonegate Bed and Breakfast

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!