“A piece of History”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Beautiful grounds and lovely rooms at this over 100 year old hotel & resort. You can swim in the lake. They made a beach and swimming area, complete with diving board. Lake is large and there are row boats, canoes, pedal boats for use. Food is mostly average, but the BBQ lunch served outside is exactly what you would expect. Hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. I highly recommend the kids club for the under 13 set.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,128)

Reviewed August 13, 2013

To cancel a reservation took three phone calls, endless waits with obnoxious ads playing in my ear, a "receptionist" answering the reservations line and saying that she couldn't do what I wanted, but that someone would call me back, and the same thing happening again (I missed the first call back, being a busy person) -- and I only then managed to cancel by getting irate. AND then I was told I'd be charged $25.00 for the pleasure. (I was canceling weeks in advance.) Make sure NEVER to reserve here if, like most people, you are someone whose plans may change.

Stayed: August 2013
11  Thank crulezim
MohonkMountainHouse, Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear crulezim,

We are so sorry to hear about your recent experience and we can certainly understand your frustration. We do make every effort to respond immediately to all calls and we are sorry that we didn’t get through to you right away. Our phones have been particularly busy this summer with our recent recognition as the Number One Resort Spa in the United States and as the Number Six Spa in the World (Condé Nast and Travel + Leisure).

Please email me at kmartello@mohonk.com so that we can reach you directly and hopefully find a new date that works for your schedule.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

After a two night stay the smoke smell from the fireplace could not be eliminated hence the room stunk. No other room was suggested by management. The fine dining was horrible. Food was tasteless and deserts made with lard! This was a get-away for my sister's birthday and we were very disappointed. Management tried to compensate with a 15% discount. That wasn't even
the amount for tax on the bill. Overrated and very expensive. Their spa was also of fair in quality.

Room Tip: Get a room without a fireplace. I was told to try and face the lake or mountains which is an extra f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Joyce R

Dear Joyce,

We are sorry to learn that we didn’t meet your expectations.

Our chefs have won numerous awards for our food and our Spa has been recognized as the Number One Resort Spa in the United States and as the Number Six Spa in the World (Condé Nast and Travel + Leisure). These awards reflect our commitment to high standards and we apologize that your experience was a disappointment.

We appreciate that you’ve taken the time to give us this feedback and we will share it with our staff.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We drove a distance off the nearest highway as we wanted to see Mohonk so we could decide on and plan our future stay.
We were stopped at guard gate and informed it would cost $25 per person to be able to drive up to the resort.

Can someone from Mohonk please write in and justify $50 to visit?

Thinking now, it would have been better if the guard would simply say "sorry,guests only. Here's a brochure and a discount offer. We do hope you'll come back and stay with us ". Charging an "admission fee" is an unwelcoming first impression for potential guests.

Gave ratings of 5 because we understand your reputation is excellent. Wanted to voice a concern in the most pleasant way possible. Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank ljwnek
MohonkMountainHouse, Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear ljwnek,

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to explain our policy. We appreciate that you voiced your concern in such a lovely way!

I am so sorry that you weren’t able to see the resort after driving such a distance. The $25 per person fee is for our Grounds Pass. Purchase of the pass gives you access to our grounds (award-winning gardens, 85 miles of trails, carriage roads, and rock scrambles with spectacular views) for the entire day. This fee includes self-parking and, in season, a shuttle bus to our Day Visitor area at the Picnic Lodge.

We do have to limit the number of visitors on property to ensure a relaxing and enjoyable vacation for all our guests. Because of this, we are unable to allow guests to drive-up to explore the resort without a reservation (either a grounds pass, meal, spa, or overnight reservation is required).

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. Please email me at kmartello@mohonk.com if you have any other questions—I hope we’ll be welcoming you to our mountaintop as a guest soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed here with my family in July 2013 and we all had a great time. The grounds are gorgeous and there is lots to do. Both the beach and the pool are great for kids, and I especially liked the walk around the lake; there are what seems like an endless amount of little huts overlooking the lake, each of which offers a fantastic view and a private place to read in the shade. The hotel has a nice amount of common space too, with many interesting nooks and crannies. The only negative to the hotel was that it smelled a tad musty.

I was a little apprehensive about the food, given that I am not usually a fan of buffets. However, I found the meals to be consistently quite good, thought nothing memorable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Nice setting, TV's extra. Food was average at the grand lunch buffet. We happen to be there on a rainy overcast day. Couldn't use the boats or horseback riding. Inside activities were very limited. If you are the type that like to get in the car and see other sites in the area, this is not for you. On the other hand if you like to just rest in the mountain air and except mediocre food go for it. I'm glad we went for the day, nice to check out the place. Not our cup of tea.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

A quick drive from New York City, my wife's favorite getaway place, we've been 4 times twice brought our friends and considered most lovable in Shawgunk Mountains, on top of the tower you'll see six states in different directions. Me and my wife will compare this place to Lake Bled with a beautiful scenery of Slovenian Alps but Mohonk have no Island in the middle of lake unlike The Lake Bled with its astounding, very beautiful Island with a thousand years old church. Well, come and visit this beautiful place-Mohonk Mountain House with its distinct beauty compared to others.

• Stayed: April 2013
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
#5 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!