“Consistently strong service.”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Phila
“Consistently strong service.”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Spent a long weekend and was sorry to leave. Staff is pleasant and accommodating. Rooms are clean. Food is good and plentiful. Children enjoy the kids club. Hiking is fun and as strenuous or laid back as you like. Followed our ears to a field of cicadas!!
Our waitress, I think her name was Tristian, was fantastic.

Room Tip: Reservation agents know the rooms well. Your call isn't outsourced.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rob W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Korean first
Ridgefield, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This place is beautiful! My suggestion try it once! The cheapest rooms are $466 a night! The grounds are absolutely breath taking, but the only real thing to do is hike (which you can do for free, without staying the night). Guest services will automatically recommend the Labyrinth and the Lemon Squeeze rock scramble which is hands down the coolest thing about this place. You have to do it! But beyond that they will recommend a lot of other hum drum hikes. We asked the guy, "we want an adventure! and we want to be gone from breakfast till lunch" He didn't have much to give us, so he clumped a bunch of the walking paths together. We tried to make our own trail and came across a Ranger that made a lot of Mohonk Preserve recommendations that totally made our day, we got to go on some real hikes!

The dinning room is stuffy and filled with a bunch of pretentious people...we were not our most comfortable there, but the food was VERY good.The afternoon tea time is great. Take advantage of all the free stuff. We were bothered by the fact that not one drink was included in the expensive price so we brought a bunch of our own wine.

Long story short, from now on we will be hiking in for the day, and most likely never being able to afford to stay there on our own. I assume they do that on purpose, they have such expensive prices to keep young riff raff from being able to stay and ruin the experience for the very old traditional people that keep this place going. However, they will have to switch their marketing sooner or later to take in some of these more conservative young people.

The spa was amazing, but again EXPENSIVE! We both got massages and the total was $415! It was very professional, and relaxing. We both love it but had to dig deep in our pockets for it.

Also, there isn't much to do there at night. If you are in your 20's, you have seen the movies before, and the TV room was filled with old people watching the Tony awards. We really wanted to go out for a stroll after dinner but there were no lit paths. So we ended up going to bed really early since there was no TV in the room.

The rooms are nice, AC and have a great balcony overlooking the lake or mountain view. Classic feeling and quaint. I would say try it if there is a great deal online somewhere but if you can park at lake minewaska and hike in for the day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank flaggjl
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

The Smiley family have continued to bring forward an excellence and attention to the pure essence of this mountain that make it possible for so many to have an experience of natural beauty at its very finest.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ValleyFor
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Incredibly beautiful nature, imposing old castle-like hotel so close to the major metropolitan area.
We been there at least 3 times: during summer and autumn, It is especially striking on a clear warm days of Indian summer or when leaves change their color. It is possible to walk up from the parking lot through the woods to the hotel, or take a shuttle bus if you can't walk. The only problem is that if weather is fine, it might be necessary to make an advance reservation for the parking: the space is limited. Or come very early.
We have never dined in the hotel but once spent time boating, and in the gardens and barns: they have an interesting mismatched collection of old newspapers , magazines, garden tools, carriages etc. Be prepared for surprises. Definitely walk up to the observation tower: the view is amazing! A small glacial lake has dramatic rocks and lovely blue color. I adore this place and would like to go there again. And recommend to spend a full day.

1 Thank sikora
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We went with our family of four, including a baby and a pre-schooler over Memorial Day weekend. It is really a perfect destination for a family with small children, lots to do (the putting green was a big hit), a playground, fairly easy hikes (the ones up to the tower and around the lake were the right length).

The setting is stunning, very beautiful.

The rooms are nice, if a bit underwhelming, the food was good, buffet style although you can get a la carte. It's definitely an old-school big family resort, so if you prefer smaller more intimate restaurants you might go into New Paltz which is a nice town.

The only downside is that the hotel seemed a bit dated (which gave it a charming rustic feel), but could certainly use some investment.

But overall I'd highly recommend it and we will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sherief M
Boston
Reviewed June 5, 2013

A few years ago my mother told me that the one place she really wanted to go was Mohonk Mountain House. After initially looking into the prices and the accommodations, I came away with the impression that it was an overpriced over-the-hill resort that I would never spend my hard earned money on seeing.

Boy, was I wrong.

While planning for my mother's upcoming 75th birthday, I remembered her dream to visit Mohonk and decided to give it a second chance. I stumbled across a special rate and decided to surprise mom with a trip.

Mohonk is a truly wonderful historic resort with exceptional staff. The restaurant staff in particular were incredible and even remembered little details, such as where we liked to sit, asking about our dinner at the formal restaurant the night before, etc. Amazing!

The spa was also top notch. I had a reflexology massage, and my mother got her hair done at the salon. We were both very happy with our services.

Overall, I don't think there are many places left in the country like Mohonk. The history, location, grounds, and interesting little nooks and crannies to explore all add up to a very special resort where you can just kick back and truly relax. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank nodice
Miller Place, New York
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was our first visit to Mohonk Mountain House, but it won't be our last.... what a wonderful get-away. We arrived on a Sunday and our reservation ended after lunch on Wednesday. Since check-in is at 4:00 and the reservation starts with dinner, I called about arriving early to ask if there was someplace we could get lunch. After a short conversation I disclosed that we were leaving before lunch on Wednesday, and it was suggested that we switch our lunch meal to have the Brunch on Sunday instead of lunch on Wednesday. WOW! I'm so glad we didn't miss that Brunch, it was beyond amazing.... and they even gave us a delicious boxed lunch on Wednesday to take with us anyway!
The food is EXCELLENT, varied, and beautifully presented... and there's so much of it, .... hence the Land Cruise reference. The grounds are magnificent, in the fog and the sun, and everything is very well cared for. We had a mountain view Country Room which is much brighter and airier than the Victorian rooms that we passed on our way to dinner, and more to my liking.... but next time I'd like a Lake view in the same area. The entire place is very clean and polished, right down to the brass locks on hundreds of windows throughout the place.
We went on several different hikes (don't miss the Sky Top Path to the tower) and all do-able at 65 & 72! I took 687 pictures, the vistas were amazing.
Both my husband and I had pedicures. They weren't the best we've ever had, but our feet were happy, and we could then use the spa facilities for the rest of the day, so that was great.
There's no doubt that a Mohonk Mountain House escape is totally worth the money!

Room Tip: It's very quiet in the south wing (Spa end) but there's a bit of a walk to the elevator if t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!