“Another Wonderful trip to Mohonk!”

Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Wyomissing, PA
“Another Wonderful trip to Mohonk!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Visited Mohonk for my birthday during a special Scotland weekend. This was our third visit, but the first during the winter.
As usual everything was perfect. There was so much to do in addition to the Scottish activities. I wish we would have had more than a weekend to take advantage of all there was to offer.
Staff is courteous and professional; food was wonderful; atmosphere was relaxing.
It isn't cheap, but considering it includes everything, except spa services, I think it's a great way to splurge a little!
I could write paragraphs, but check out their website to see everything they have there!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have fireplaces, so you may have to ask.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I will start off by saying that I had pretty high expectations of this resort, as I have read excellent reviews regarding this destination and it also has a pretty hefty price tag. As a frequent traveler and someone who has stayed at a variety of hotels and resorts, I must say that my stay here was quite disappointing and I am very happy that I only stayed at this resort for one night. I was initially put off by the lack of customer service, when I arrived at Mohonk. I asked the clerk at the front desk about dinner arrangements, because my package included an overnight stay and dinner. Her response was oh, "I think dinner is from 6:00-8:00 in the dining room". "You can look at the activity schedule and it will tell you all the times for activities and meals.
It was a mere coincidence that I read reviews about this place on trip advisor that stated that you must make a dinner reservation. So I did make a reservation and thank goodness I did because I would have missed my meal. At 4:00 in the evening the resort offers tea time. During this session they offer two types of cookies and tea. The cookies that were served were extremely stale and were not edible. The two cookies that were served were oatmeal raisin and dark chocolate. Unfortunately; I had to throw them away. I asked the house staff if they had coffee and they said no. Coffee was available for purchase at the gift shop. As if 700.00 per night is not enough for fresh cookies and coffee. After tea time my husband and I wanted to go ice skating. We asked the hotel staff where the ice skating rink was and they said, "just follow the signs and you should find it". There were several signs all over the grounds and non of them said ice skating rink, and no one was kind enough to show us where the ice skating rink was. We had to fend for ourselves. Then we arrived at our room. The room was small without a television or radio. Again for 700.00 per night. I should have a television in the room. I get that they didn't watch television back then but we are of a different time. Let's get with the program. I will say that I felt a little better after dinner because dinner was actually pretty good. But all of my joy was taken away when it was time for me to check out of the hotel. When I woke up the following morning there was a bill of 75.42 underneath my door for gratuities and taxes. I think that there is something a little dishonest about adding an additional fee after checkout. I don't understand why they did not include this total initially when I booked my trip. I truly believe that Mohonk Mountain is a complete rip off. You will have a much nicer time Spending $700.00 for a 3 night trip in Punta Cana but this is just ridiculous. For these types of prices you should have better customer service and an option to have a television in your room.

15 Thank Amina32
New York
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Visited Mohonk on a groupon I had purchased for my bf for Christmas. It included a 2 night stay with breakfast, lunch, and dinner included. We found the food to be better than expected. Breakfast and lunch were served buffet style with plenty of options. Dinner was a 3 course sit down menu - again with plenty of options. The staff throughout our stay were very pleasant and friendly. Rooms while small, were clean and quaint with everything we needed. No tv wasn't an issue for us as we brought an iPad and a portal DVD player from home. We did schedule a couples massage that we both enjoyed. I, however, felt the spa was a little more crowded then I prefer. We were unable to use the mineral pool because it only fit 6 people and the 6 people in it were never in a rush to get out. I was disappointed we were unable to use it and enjoy a few moments. I would have thought the outdoor pool would have been much bigger given the size of the resort. Overall... While we thought the grounds were beautiful and well maintained, staff friendly, and food plentiful... We will probably not return solely based on the price. Way too expensive for what is offered.

1 Thank Knighty016
upstate New york
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My friend is getting married so we set up a spa day at Mohonk Spa. We did not stay in the rooms, however, we did walk through the building which is massive. The whole place is set on top of beautiful Mohonk Mountain. The views are beyond words, the view from the spa was spectacular. The spa is huge, there are three sitting rooms, one for women only, one for men only and co-ed. The co-ed has a gas burning fireplace in it and had windows all around. I had a 80 minute massage and it was spectacular. Only thing I can say I wish they did have was allowing a light lunch in the spa and allow you to order from a menu there. We were starving by the time we all got our treatments. They do have tea and apples but I was hoping for a light lunch. I understand the no phones rule but I have been to many spas that don't have that rule. I would definitely go back. Prices are a little high but comparable to other spas with no mountain view, etc.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lovetosun
Lebanon, New Jersey
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I spent New Years weekend at the Mohonk Mountainhouse Resort. We were a group of seven couples. The food was fabulous at every meal. It's a good thing we did not stay longer because I would have put on 10 lbs! We burned it off enjoying the many outdoor activities available. I especially enjoyed cross country skiing up to sky top tower. What a view! You can see 6 states from there! The spa was wonderful. I had the best massage I ever had. The people running the resort were very friendly and did everything to make our stay the best. My only complaint is that we were in an older part of the hotel, so our room was quite small and a little run down. Also, no television included in the room. You had to rent one for an additional $25 per day. Not that you need one, because there is a lot to do. But if you like to fall asleep to the drone of the television, as I do, you may be out of luck.

Room Tip: Request a high floor with a view in the newer section.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2013

What a place! Looking like a Swiss alpine village, just 90 minutes from NYC this is a step back in time by a good 50 years.

A beautiful old wooden property, looking out over a tranquil lake on one side, and the Catskill Mountains on the other it is a perfect place to relax.

There's a bucket load of activities to do outside there, or just relax in the pool, or in your room with a good book it is just perfectly quiet.

The bedrooms feel a little dated, but the bathrooms are new, with great products, and the bedrooms really come into their own in the evening, as they have large fireplaces, and a stack of wood.

What they don't have is a TV, which helps the feeling of transportation to a bygone age, and also helps focus on the stunning view and the total quiet.

It was the best night's sleep I have had in months, not a sound in or outside, other than the crackle of a fire to go to sleep to. Just perfect

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank newYorkNashy
nyc
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a review based on taking part of a midweek special in the middle of winter, so its not like we were swimming in the amazing pond or taking full advantage of the mountain hikes etc.
So.... driving in, its like a fairytale castle. 2 miles of windy road and a great reveal, the pictures dont do it justice. Breathtaking. Drove up, the cold valets stamping their feet and gruff politeness.
Inside, i counted at least 20 fireplaces roaring away through the labyrinthian hallways, full of hidden libraries and warm nooks and crannies. We walked up the hill in the snow and iceskated in a rink all to ourselves, then had a swim in the large heated pool to warm up. Again solomente..
The weird thing was, we really only saw maybe 20 people the whole time, including staff. And by the size of this place it gave it a certain surreal "shining" feel. A good thing? Maybe.

The only nitpick was, we had a buffet lunch, they had a carver and a pretty good spread, but the bill for 2 adults and a 3 year old came to $140. Not for the faint of heart (and wallet!) But we could hardly complain, they had seating for 300, and it was us and a lovely old jewish couple across the room, making themselves clear to the waitstaff how unhappy they were with the brisket in thick long-gile-land accents. So at least the entertainment was free. (and i thought the brisket was excellent)..
So all in all, well worth it for the experience, maybe if i hit it big ill be back on the summer months for a week! Im sure it will be an entirely different experience.

Room Tip: Try to get a victorian room on the lake side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
#2 of 5 in Highland
New Paltz Hostel
New Paltz Hostel
#1 of 2 in New Paltz

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!