“The Same Old Wonderful Place”

and 1 more site!
Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
New York City, New York
“The Same Old Wonderful Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

I have stayed at Mohonk a number of times over the years but hadn't been there recently. So the addition of air conditioning, a spa, an indoor pool and a bar were all new to me when I spent the 4th of July holiday there. I was delighted with the atmosphere at Mohonk without these amenities but I was relieved to find that the place retains its Victorian flavor and old world style and has not tried to turn itself into a slick yuppie resort. They pretty much do everythng well here. I am surprised by Lucinda B's comment about children since it seems to me they are incredibly kid friendly. I would have thought the breakfast and lunch buffets would have been ideal for her children -- the lunch buffet even has a separate children's food section. So if you have children I would think this a great place to bring them. For adults there are many activities (spa, swimming, beach bathing, hiking, mountain bikes, golf, tennis, etc.) but there are also wonderful quiet places both indoors and out to read a book or just veg out. A couple of computers have been added to the library for guest use and there is Wifi as well. There are a variety of hiking trails. I think people of all ages can find enjoyable, relaxing things to do at Mohonk. And for those in the tri-state area it is very conveniently located.

Room Tip: If possible try to get a room with a lake or garden view. The view of the Catskills, although nice...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Korean first
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

I simply cannot believe we have not been to Mohonk sooner, since we live just across the state line in Connecticut.
What a lovely spot! From the time you arrive, the service is impecable. They have everything worked out so that they know who you are and pride themselves on greeting you at every occasion.
Although the room that we had was not large, it was beautifully decorated in perfect era, with a working fireplace and balcony.
I spent so much time reading on the balcony that I didn't make myself a spa appointment, which I did regret! The spa looked so wonderful and inviting and so I can't wait to go back to try that out.
Overall, I can't wait to go back.

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank imbusytoo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We went during Easter vacation week because it was advertised as a a special kids week.....there were some activities especially for young ones in the beginning of the week...ie Lego building...Easter egg hunt.....but much less as the week went on...they do have a day camp sort of thing, but you can not stay with your child for any of the activities and since we were on a family vacation we did not want to do that......so we had to find things for our seven year old to do......food is good, but the only choice at breakfast and lunch are buffets......not our idea of a relaxing meal experience........dinner in the dining room was much nicer......we stayed in a tower room which is expensive, but there are other room options which seem more reasonable even though they are smaller......and I would choose one of those if we decided to go again......Tea in the afternoon is
nothing special....just tea and some cookies......entertainment is just so...so......a magician/ bubble guy one night......and a local jazz/blues/country band the next and a poorly attended square dance another night.....There was one or two hikes geared toward the younger set..... Lectures are also geared to adults....I don't see this as a child friendly place........much more for adults......and if we were there without a child I would have given this a better review..... But they did leave a small stuffed owl for her on the pillow for her one nite and that was a nice touch......again much better for adults than children........

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Marlboro, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

My friends and I decided to go on a wekend trip to hike. The pick was Lake Mohonk - which I had never heard of but apparently everyone I spoke to about it knew the name. We booked a cottage which was right at the gate and that was fine -- about 2.5 miles from the main house. The cottage was fully updated and equipped with 2 bathrooms, air-conditioning, heat, a fireplace and lots of nooks and crannies to get comfortable with a book in. A full kitchen to cook in which we made excellect use of. And did I mention "Spotlessly Clean!"
The cottage actually made our weekend with all the laughs we had -- in addition of course to the Lemon Squeeze Rock Scramble and Boating, and oh, did I mention 4 o'clock tea time with cookies?

Room Tip: The Main Mountain House was under construction at the time we stayed, but for us, the cottages were...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

WOW describes it, A Castle on a lake only 2 hours from NYC. A bit pricey, BUT well worth it, Grounds are terrific, Food is awesome, Hiking is second to none, boating, peace and quiet!

1 Thank JesusDad
Red Bank, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Mohonk is a terrifficly relaxing place. Its about 150 yrs old, so its filled with antiques and such - such old world charm. There are no TVs in the rooms, but there's so much to do, you don't need one, and if you really do need one, then this is not the place for you. Make your kids leave the iPod at home, and come enjoy the nature and relax a little! It's a wonderful way to bond with your kids. There is a activity sheet published every day (one day ahead) so you can plan some activities, like yoga at the spa, a cooking class, a tour of the old house, an organized hike, etc., or you can go it alone and do your own thing. There's some really great hikes here, including a cool rock-scramble and climb through "the crevice". I don't know what snobs would think the food or service is sub-par here - I'm from a family of chefs, and it's very good here if you can be not too uptight to enjoy it. It's far superior to most restaurants, but ok, maybe it's not quite as good as the best restaurants in NYC. If you really expect that then stay in NYC. ;).

As soon as we walk in the door, I can feel myself slowing down and relaxing. There's just something about it here that life just goes slower, and it's such a wonderful departure from my daily NYC job experience that I'll be back again and again - this is my 4th visit, spanning 40 years. I enjoyed it as a kid with my parents, and my son 12 yrs old, is enjoying it with us, even if he was initially unhappy to lose the iPod. ;)

Room Tip: The lake views are amazing, but you get a sunset from the mountain view. Some rooms are antique-ec...
3 Thank Vincef69
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our yearly trips to Mohonk are my most anticipated holidays of the year. We live in Europe and come to America to meet up with family and friends at Mohonk and Mohonk provides the BEST atmosphere to relax, play, and rejuvenate. Tennis is terrific here. Hiking is superb. The food is plentiful and delicious with many options for dining from the marvelous Granary Cook out above the lake to formal dining in the evening preceded by a wonderful adult beverage in the Carriage Lounge. Our children, grandchildren, and friends always look forward to our times together at Mohonk. The staff is superb and the rooms cozy and restful. The Spa is certainly equal to its current Conde Naste award and the Spa staff is first class.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Paltz
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ellenville
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!