“Dirty!!! Rude Staff!!”

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
New York, NY
Reviewed October 19, 2005

This place is next to a strip club! I couldnt believe it. The rooms are substandard at best, and the internet was not even working. When I booked the room I thought the rate ($130) was the standard for the area, but the next morning I went to the other properties in town and they were considerably less, the Super 8 was 89 and the Rodeway Inn was 109. Based on the cost, the substandard (outdated) rooms and the unhelpful staff I would not recommend this motel for a traveller.

• Stayed: October 2005
24  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed October 17, 2005

This place is an absolute dump. They charged my family and myself 125+tax for a room on a friday night. First of all the Internet didnt work, and te staff didnt know anything about the area ... they barely knew english. The room looked like a welfare house, with holes in the carpet, broken windows, and nasty odor. At night we actually were disturbed by a hooker from the EXOTIC DANCERS club next door. Apparently it was a hooker from next door. This is DEFINATELY not the place for a family to stay for the weekend due to the price, and the environment.

• Stayed: October 2005
26  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 29, 2005

This place is disgusiting. I cant belive they still call it an Econo Lodge. The rooms smell like mold. The bathrooms are like airlpane bathrooms only much, much more DIRTY! The staff was unwilling to take a formal complaint, I was not even asking for a discount, they did not even want to hear the comlpaint. What a terrible stay.

• Stayed: August 2005
32  Thank oHIoK393
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed August 28, 2005

My family stayed at this Econolodge when we moved my brother into his New Paltz dorm in August 2005. The building is 50 feet from a strip club, which made me feel pretty safe when climbing into bed. The room stank, the towels were ratty and stained, and there wasn't even an alarm clock. To boot, we had already booked it for two nights during Family Weekend in October, and when we tried to cancel one night for personal reasons, they refused, saying that weekend had a two-night stay minimum (at $109/night!) Don't go there...the Super 8's around the area are actually pleasant for the same price.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
32  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 11, 2005

We had a room that cost $143 - when we got there it was so unacceptable that we wanted to check out immediately (it was in a basement, there were bugs, it smelled, next the the kitchen there was evidence of mice)...only they would NOT give us our money back. We had to fight to get our money (they literally YELLED at us!!) and to top if off...they charged us $20 for using the bathroom in the room and wanted us to clean it!!!! They brought us a bucket with cleaning supplies to clean it ourselves even though they had already charged us. NOTE: My very clean friend peed and used the sink ONCE.

When we were going to take photos...that's when they got nervous and ushered us out.

DO NOT STAY THERE. We had a whole wedding party at the hotel and no one had a good experience.

• Stayed: August 2005
37  Thank IlseNYC
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed May 31, 2004

I stayed at the Econolodge on May 27th for one night. The room cost $75 and was completely substandard...not like a typical, clean Econolodge. First, it was like a ghost town..the only people there were the front desk worker and one cleaning person. Apparently, everyone else knows this hotel is terrible. The room smelled very strongly, the air conditioner was not working properly and was blowing smelly air around the room. The shower was dirty. The bed was rock hard. I was actually afraid to walk on the rug without shoes on or to turn out the lights for fear of bugs. I checked the bed for bugs several times and didn't find any, but that was not really any comfort. Don't stay here.

42  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Paltz, NY
Reviewed March 23, 2004

Just a heads up to anyone considering this accomodation. In December 2003 we had guests coming and made reservations for three rooms. That day had been precede by the blizzard and on Saturday morning, our guests called to say travel was impossible. We called the motel and explained that due to the storm we would like to cancel the rooms. The owner refused claiming that he had turned people away because of the reservations and would be charging us the full $240.00! We drove the two miles to find an empty parking lot. The owner was not to be reasoned with. This would not be the kind of business practice I would recommend.

50  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
Howard Johnson Inn - Newburgh
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!