“Disappointed but will try again”
Review of Taco Shack

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Taco Shack
Ranked #47 of 100 Restaurants in New Paltz
Reviewed April 21, 2013

On way through town and got excited when I saw the cool little shack. Even more excited when I walked in. Small and not super clean but good little "taco shack" vibe. Menu(s) were very confusing. Mulitple size white boards and chalk boards all over. Some with duplicate info, some exclusive. Ordered 3 tacos (came to $7.20) and was told they have a special that is 5 tacos and a drink for $7.99 so I figured it was a good chance to try one of everything. THEN i found out most of the taco required additional $$ in the package. Came to $11 something. I understand Fish costs more then beans but I felt kinda dupped. ANYWAYS.... after waiting for about 5 minutes, i asked if I had time to go next door to grabb some beer. Went over then kiiled 10 minuites and came back only to wait another 20 minutes. 30+ minutes for a few tacos is way too long. The cook was having a very lengthy debate with an employee about where containers were stored in the back building while people waited right there. Taco upsell girl behind counter was very nice and apologetic for delay at least. So on to food... Fish taco was VERY VERY good. top 5 I've had anywhere north or south of the border. Not fishy, not greasy, not too much slaw. excellent taco. If they were all this good, the wait would have been worth it. Unfortuantly, they werent. Shredded beef was like BBQ pulled pork which I like but not as a taco. Chicken was really weird and I didnt have more then a bite or two. Not a fan of beans and asked not to get one. Did anyway and tried and it was good for bean taco! Beef (normal hamburg meat) was seasoned perfect for a "plain" taco and probably would have been beetr on a hard shell.

I did see some HUGE burritos going out that looked like a lot of food for the money. The fish was so good, I would try again but call ahead for pick up. Hopefully they were having a bad nite because I really wanted to like the place.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I've had good & bad here. You pays your money & you takes your chances. This place has changed ownership & staff so many times I can't count, so that explains a lot. It could also be cleaner( which is important to me anyway). We still stop occaisionally because it's convenient my husband isn't fond of Asian food (my preference). But if I had my druthers I'd skip it. I make better Mexican at home, I'm just not always in the mood to cook. They do deliver, but only within a few miles. Best for college students with the munchies.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

There are two Mexican places in town. One is gourmet, the other fast food. Taco Shack is fast food, but it is delicious fast food and the burritos are HUGE. When I moved out of New Paltz for a few years, I definitely missed Taco Shack.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

we keep coming back despite the bad experiences, but no more. The salsa is off half the time, the fat dude is rude (the others are fine), the portions have progressively gotten smaller, and definitely go in and order or they'll screw it up. Mexicali blue or even ::shudder:: any taco bell would be a better choice.

Reviewed August 18, 2011

The Taco Shack from all appearances is a dive, but serves incredibly good food. And at a reasonable cost. Servings are generous, and an interesting variety of imported sodas are available to accompany your meal. Be sure to get some guacamole to top whatever you are selecting. A good place to go for a tasty lunch - and while you can select vegetarian options, don't try to fool yourself into thinking you are making a healthy food choice. Enjoy, and eat in moderation, or share your choice with a friend. You may want to take your meal to go, the inside seating area is adequate but not overly appealing.

1  Thank Mary J