“Still a great place to eat!”
Review of Barnaby's Restaurant - CLOSED

Barnaby's Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We returned to Barnaby's, a place with great memories for us, after many years absence from the area. Read some mixed reviews and heard from a local that it just wasn't as good as we remembered, but decided to check it out for ourselves and we're glad. Although one member of our party of four wasn't thrilled with his food, the rest of us, who all ordered steak, were completely satisfied and thought it was wonderful. The appetizers, Calamari and Baked Stuffed Littleneck Clams were both tasty. All of our salads were very fresh and the house made dressings were all super good. The steaks were perfectly cooked and flavorful. My favorite side was the oven roasted red potatoes over the mashed or baked versions which were unremarkable. as I mentioned there was the one issue which was the Salmon and Risotto dinner. Undercooked risotto that was definitely not right, although the rest of it was okay. After we all tried it and agreed We mentioned to the server and she was truly surprised and apologetic. We were treated to complimentary dessert which we did appreciate. Overall we enjoyed the experience and felt the restaurant still lived up to our expectations.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is such a beautiful place and I was so excited (and then disappointed) the first time I went. The food is terrible! The wait staff is very professional and the seating comfortable. I have tried this restaurant several times, both for breakfast and lunch and was never happy about the quality of the food. It is a good place for children however, as the booths are big. I have been a couple of times with my daughter and grandchildren for breakfast on the weekends because of the seating, but not for the food. It's a shame; they could do a lot with the space.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Off the main drag in New Paltz, NY you can find some real gems. Barnaby's is one of them. Marketed as a Steakhouse, it has as many seafood and other entrees as it does steaks. You walk down the stairs from the main entrance to find a pleasant and low key bar followed by a dedicated dining area. Not sure but they may also have another dining area as the building is fairly large. It's always pleasantly air-conditioned and provides a welcome relief if you're there during the summer season. The steaks are done well and a popular lunch sandwich is their Roumanian Steak (basically skirt steak).

Service had always been very good when we have visited (we had Ari this last time) and the comfortable booths make it easy to spread out and relax.

The service has never been lightening fast but likewise has not been slow either. They always seem to be able to get a nice table for us and are pleasant when we ask for something special.

It's off the main drag and so many do not know it exists but you can GPS it.

A good value and easy parking make this a favorite of mine

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just had dinner for five at Barnaby and we were all impressed with the quality of the food, abundant portions and very friendly staff.
True, this is not a place for a quick burger, but as a steak house it was a step up from many of the other restaurants In town. Dining takes a bit longer here but for a more special meal we would definitely recommend

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Looking through the other reviews here, one gets the impression that this is rather a "love it or hate it" kind of place. Now that I've been there, I understand where this is coming from.

Barnaby's struck me as a place that really wants to be more than the typical Bar & Grill place that's so ubiquitous throughout the town of New Paltz, maybe the town's answer to Ruth's Chris. Unfortunately, at this point the only comparison to that restaurant will sound like "Well, they're no Ruth's Chris."

We called the restaurant on a Thursday, hoping to get a seating that Saturday. Since it was graduation weekend, we figured that lots of families would be in town and this might be tough. As it turned out, this was not the case and we were pretty much given our choice of time. (This is probably because most SUNY-NP students live within a couple hours' drive of the school and most parents drove up the next day.) We got a 7:00 reservation.

When we arrived shortly after 7 (parking is available behind the restaurant but it's limited), our reservation apparently hadn't been written down, but they were able to accommodate us. Indeed, the place looked rather slow for a Saturday night, especially during a weekend with presumably more people in town than usual. When you first enter the restaurant, you enter a foyer where the hostess station is located. From there you go either upstairs to that dining area, or downstairs to the tables that also surround the bar. Because my mother has some difficulty walking stairs, we elected to eat in the lower section. Wheelchair users should note that the ramp leading into the lower dining area is rather steep; I don't think it's ADA compliant.

We're seated at our booth, which is opposite the bar, and we're immediately given water. Our waitress (according to my receipt, her name was "Patricia"--she'd introduced herself but I immediately forgot it, so we'll go with that) gave us the beverage choices and noted the specials card that had accompanied the menu. Among the specials was Maryland Crab Cakes, which she took great pains to describe and tell us how they were pan-fried, not deep fried, and better than "our competitors" in quality, quantity and overall value. The crabcakes also come with a remoulade sauce. This whole explanation struck us as amusing, but she didn't know that we're from Maryland so she gets a pass on that one. However, Maryland Crab Cakes aren't served with remoulade in our neck of the woods. Are they hiding something? Trying to make it a little more classy somehow? Hm. We didn't order it, but read on and decide for yourself.

My mother and I ordered unsweetened iced tea; My Daughter the Graduate ordered a Coke; my wife and younger daughter stuck to the water. Patricia, incidentally, was pretty good about ensuring that our glasses remained filled. My mother and I both decided early on that there was something not quite right about the tea. We reported it to Patricia and she immediately took our glasses and said she'd find out what was wrong, and get us replacements. A couple of minutes later another young lady came to the table and explained that SELTZER was somehow getting into the iced tea lines. So it turned out that the iced tea was coming out of the bartender gun jobbie and not necessarily brewed anywhere near the restaurant. They think maybe it's fixed; do we want to try again? Ah...no thanks, I'll switch to Coke.

While ordering our meals, my wife, who had bariatric surgery a year ago, asked if she could use the side dish of asparagus to replace her salad and potato altogether. We were told that it couldn't be done, which was unfortunate. So my wife told her not to bother with the salad at all and she'd take the asparagus side anyway. Some time later, however, we were told that the asparagus substitute was do-able after all.

After we ordered our meals, a basket of bread was brought to the table. This was some good bread; we all enjoyed it. Nice crispy crust with a mildly chewy interior. In fact, we had them bring us another basket--but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Our entrees came with salad, vegetable of the day and a choice of potato. In addition to this, we ordered an appetizer of Clams Casino. I asked Patricia how they were and she conceded that they were good...not necessarily great. I have to admire that level of honesty, so I ordered them.

After we received our replacement drinks, the wait was on. It was easily 45 minutes from the time we ordered to the time our salads hit the table. And remember, I said above that the restaurant wasn't exactly slammed, here. This may be why we went through so much bread. Oddly enough, all of the salads arrived but one. My younger daughter didn't get a salad. When we pointed this out, Patricia said "I thought you didn't want the salad?" and we noted that it was my wife who didn't want a salad--which also hadn't arrived but that’s OK, see. The missing salad materialized in moments, go figure.

It was maybe another 15 minutes from the salad to the Clams Casino, Incidentally, Patricia was right: they were good. Not disappointing, not exceptional, but good. That was the consensus among the three of us who ate them. The clams (I think there were seven of them?) were a little on the small side, but on the other hand they didn't have any breading in them acting as filler: just butter, garlic, bits of peppers and bacon. I'd probably order them again.

On to the entrees, which arrived about ten minutes after the clams were finished. My mother had the skirt steak, which she really enjoyed. Skirt steak isn’t something you see on a menu very often, so it’s a neat option to have here. I’d have ordered it but I was really in the mood to have scallops, so I ordered the sirloin & scallops combo. The sirloin was perfectly done (all the steaks were done to the correct level of doneness ordered), and the scallops were fine. My wife’s asparagus were not especially numerous, but she did like them. However, we were told that the stuffed shrimp were stuffed with breading, crab and spices (she asked specifically because of an allergy), and while the shrimp were generous and tasty, the stuffing itself clearly contained IMITATION crab. Catch that? Now go back a few paragraphs. If we come back to this area (possible, I’m originally from NY and wouldn’t mind visiting this area on vacation), are we likely to order the crab cake? Not anymore, based solely on this. You don’t have to be a Marylander to figure out imitation crab; come on, guys: do you think your diners are stupid?

Our younger daughter had fettucine alfredo, which she liked. It’s available with chicken or shrimp added, but she opted for the plain version. The Graduate had the skirt steak as well, along with some shrimp. Both were done well.

A couple of positives: Patricia did offer us a couple (as in two) of free desserts as compensation for our long wait times, and the total bill for the four of us wasn’t too awful: about $122 before the tip.

If you're looking for dinner before a movie, or before a show at the McKenna Theater on campus, Barnaby's is NOT the place to go. If you want to have a leisurely meal and spend time visiting with friends and/or family, and furthermore you expect to have an unhurried time, then you’ll probably enjoy your visit to Barnaby’s.