“Delicious”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Food was amazing! Fresh, local, delicious ingredients prepared in new ways. A must eat in New Paltz.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Our first visit to A Tavola my 3 girlfriends and I went on our employers' recommendation. It's an ideal place to catch up and has amazing food. Encouraged to share by our server Rose we started with the House Antipasti, the Poached Octopus, and the Endive Salad. So GOoD! The crostinis had this delicious ricotta spread with honey truffle oil and tstd rosemary. I've had truffle oil on fries before and thought that was delightful, this sent me over the top. Paired with a fresh salad and a root vegetable delicious something we got down. The endive salad was lovely and plentiful, loved the shaved parm and red onion. I see others have raved about the Octopus. I can do nothing but applaud the chef. Cuttable with a fork and served over warm chic pea, olive and red pepper with arugula. I intend to go back solo and order this as a double for my entree. Second course we shared a duck confit and mushroom pasta, drooling, Rose had great wine recommendations for that too. Last we had the Lamb Polpetti (spelling ?). Never had anything like it. And this was over some white bean and tzakiiti sauce business. Another outstanding dish. We will definitely be back. May check the bar out next time, but sitting upstairs under the glass panes by the twinkling tree was the most fun with the best food I've had in a long time. A tavola ranks top for ambiance, service, and cuisine. We only hope we didn't make fools of ourselves because we were ridiculous with excitement at every course.

1  Thank JKMc1220
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We came here after a show at the college. We ordered the house special antipasta- it was ok- but too much truffle oil on the crustini and the greens weren't the freshest. 3 of 4 entrees missed the mark. The veal was mediocre (one was returned after adking for it to be light on pepper- it wasn't) and the homemade sausage was dry and lacked seasoning- the brick chicken was very good.The mains took over an hour to be served. We ordered coffees and shortly after they were served we were told we had to vacate the table and go to the bar to finish it. They had other tables available. We should have been told this before the coffee was served. They did comp the coffee- but I don't expect this rudeness in a restaurant where we spent $50 a person.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We decided to try it on Restaurant Week which may have been a mistake. Our reservation was honored and we were seated upstairs which was fine. The service was fine, but the special menu was not that good. I didn't care for the beet salad and my wife had the restaurants version of onion soup which was different and average. The main course left much to be desired. I had the pasta with bolagnase sauce and it was just OK. My wife had the pasta with wild mushrooms and it was just OK. My wife, being of Italian decent, cooks much better pasta dishes. The dessert was fine. We will probably try it again and see what the regular menu is like.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Our first visit to A Tavola was on the last Saturday of Restaurant Week--the restaurant was packed but we received a warm welcome (despite being late for our reservation) and the staff handled the crowds with grace. The ambiance is lovely--a cross between an upscale city bistro and a converted Hudson Valley barn--and the menu offers many imaginative takes on Italian classics. To be honest I was a bit disappointed with the food--both my salad and my fish were much too salty, and my husband said the same of his main course--perhaps it was just our bad luck, because the food being served to nearby tables looked delicious and was clearly being enjoyed. I would happily try again on a less busy night.