“Nicely done!”

New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nicely done!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I decided to try A Tavola and we were pleasantly surprised. We made reservations, which they kept, despite being packed. The food was up scale Italian with local ingredients used when possible. The wait staff was on point with very few missteps. Our only complaint was our seating. This building being old, with sagging floor boards, may be charming for some but uncomfortable for us so we decided to sit next to each other rather then across. It made for a nice time.

• Visited March 2013

New Paltz, New York
“Best Place in Town!!!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I went to A Tavola for her birthday. We really enjoyed EVERYTHING about the place! The ambiance was rustic and inviting. The service staff was friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating, and the food was absolutely OUT OF THIS WORLD! To start, the homemade bread was to die for! we shared a few appetizers; The poached octopus was terrific, and the cauliflower & saffron soup with mussels was Superb. For her entree my wife had the chicken under a brick, which was succulent and full of flavor. My entree was the sweet potato gnocchi with wild boar ragu. It was garnished with bits of crisp apple... oh my lord it was the most wonderful thing I've ever tasted! I am salivating right now just thinking of it!
Our beverages were also fantastic. The signature cocktail menu was unique and sophisticated. Many of the drinks featured homemade ingredients. I very much enjoyed my bourbon drink, aptly named the "No.1", which was made with homemade bitters. After dinner we tasted the homemade lemoncello which was strong but very delicious. For dessert we shared a house made sorbetti and tiramisu, both of which were OFF THE HOOK!
This place is a bit pricey but it was worth every penny! From beginning to end it was a wonderful experience and we both very much look forward to dining there again soon.

• Visited March 2013
New Paltz, New York
“I've seen a lot of restaurants in this building...”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

...but this one was by far the worst.

It is VERY pretentious. The atmosphere was nice, the waitress was competent if snooty, the menu sounded GREAT - but oh my God, was it terrible.

We started out with a beet salad. That was nice. That and the super-romantic ambiance were the only things that were worthwhile.

I ordered one of the night's specials - goat cheese ravioli with lemon sauce and ginger crumbles. The ginger crumbles were cookie crumbs!!! In a creamy lemon sauce! On salty, kind of anemic goat cheese ravioli! I was SO ready for something wonderful, and "wonderful" is exactly what it wasn't.

The waitress asked how the food was, I told her plainly that it was terrible. She defended it, as if somehow my taste were at fault.

I love good food. I love good restaurants. I will travel great distances for them. This, however, was neither - but it sure as hell thinks it is. It appears to be one of those places where the hype convinces patrons that what they're eating is exceptional.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank New Paltz Local R
Los Angeles, California
“Finest dining in the area by far!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

When my wife and I want a fabulous meal in the Hudson Valley, there is only one place for us: A Tavola. True, it's pricier than many places in the area, but it is in another culinary league altogether. We have never been disappointed with the food or the hospitality. Fresh house made breads, biscotti and gelato are superb. Drinks are interesting and include excellent mocktails (just ask!). And he food is the very definition of farm to table freshness. The sweet potato gnocchi with wild boar ragu is a new favorite while my wife cannot resist the parchment baked Bronzino stuffed with baccala and leeks. You will not be disappointed!

• Visited November 2012
Highland, New York
“The squid ink pasta was deliciously briny and the gnocchi were light as pillows. Excellent as always.”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I found ourselves sans kids so last minute we decided to go to A Tavola. Not our first trip to A Tavola so we tried with no reservations. We got there at 6 pm right after opening time. Although they had no tables until 8:00, we opted for an available table in the bar. We were tasting the mac & black truffles all the way there but, they have taken it off the menu so we were a tad bummed over that but after ordering the two 3 item antipasti we quickly got over it. The root vegetables were fabulous as well as the seafood crudo, whipped baccalla (I thought I'd never try baccalla) , and assorted crostini. (plenty of truffle oil), delicious. For our entree we went for the squid ink chitarra with poached lobster, scallion, and vanilla. I closed my eyes and was transported to the Mediterranean. The squid ink pasta was deliciously briny. Absolutely fabulous. We also had sweet potato gnocchi with wild boar ragu, local apples, shaved bittersweet chocolate, pecorino. The gnocchi were light as pillows and who would have thought of using sweet potatoes? Fabulous again. Every time we dine here we say that was the best meal ever. We are never disappointed and always surprised with something new that we've never had before. Upon arrival we asked Bonnie what the gelato and ices were on the desert menu and when dolci time came we opted for the Grapefruit granita, caramel and salt gelato and balsamic gelato. Fun, fabulous and delicious. Finally, the service was top notch. Friendly, knowledgeable, fast, and just a pleasure. Portami al mare Mediterraneo.

• Visited January 2013