“Splendid”

Ranked #12 of 100 Restaurants in New Paltz
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our family of 18 dined in the family dining room (buffet) to celebrate my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary. We made early group reservations and the Mohonk Mtn House entrance fee was included in the price. I was a bit apprehensive about it being a buffet, but there was a huge variety and every single thing was delicious! There is a also a separate buffet catering to children (chicken tenders, pasta, etc.). The view is amazing!!!!

My only complaint is that there were a few items that were apparent favorites and not refilled quickly...you had to watch the line carefully for the replenishment of those one or two items. Everything else was perfect.

I will go back on my next trip to the area.

There are newer reviews for Mohonk Mountain House

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We have been wanting to visit the space. Despite the price, we decided to make reservation for lunch (on a Thursday) so that we can see the building and use the facility in the lobby. It took a long drive even from town to go up to the house on top of the mountain. The food and service are impecable, though the lady who arranges the seating feel a little cold. But the main thing is the surrounding lake and mountain. They did a excellent job in turning a beautiful nature into even more breath- taking and accomodating to people so that we do not need to deal with messiness of wilderness.

1  Thank Achyfeet
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Definitely fun visiting and enjoying the crowns on a nice clear day especially in the fall. The restaurant has been criticized four years for having very bad food. The buffet is terrible and why they have not done anything about the food is a really and mistreat everyone that has gone there.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Read my review titled "Location, Location, Location" for some further thoughts. To be specific about the food, though, it's really almost institutional fare, of the sort I grew up with as a military brat. The service is at best condescending, at worst indifferent. The restaurant is more like a dining hall at a giant tourist trap. It is noisy and difficult to maneuver with dishes from the buffet in one hand and a squirmy child or disabled elderly relative in the other. No one offered to help us with this, even though we had both kinds of folks in our party. The younger adults provided table service for the others. I suppose the wait staff had other chores they had to take care of, though what they might have been I know not.

1  Thank Rosemary_VA
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The food continues to get better. Best to experience while staying at the House. The huge breakfast and lunch buffets are fresh with lots of choices. Dinners are very good and in the stunning environment are wonderful for very special occasions.

1  Thank Ann B