“Buffet breakfast the day...”

Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #12 of 100 Restaurants in New Paltz
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 4, 2008

Buffet breakfast the day after Christmas was superb. Not sure I could afford it myself (I was treated), but it was an experience to remember!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
There are newer reviews for Mohonk Mountain House

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 26, 2007

food I give it a 1.....hiking + scenery is off the chart!!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 15, 2007

My husband and I had dinner at the Mohonk Mountain House on Saturday, July 14th, 2007. Reservations were required and we came dressed b/c at $61 pp pre paid, we thought it was appropriate. Also, having read some reviews about the day guests overrunning the dining room at lunchtime with their hiking gear, we thought dinner at 8pm would mean most of them would've cleared out. We found the dining hall (although its like a maze inside, we didn't go more than 10 feet without hotel staff stopping to give us directions) and were told although we had reservations, we'd be eating in the main dining hall. Upstairs, we were told we probably belonged in the formal dining hall downstairs. We went back down where they told us we belonged upstairs b/c we weren't guests of the hotel and only guests could eat in the formal room. I asked if there was any way to pay extra to eat in the formal room b/c the 2 minute view upstairs made me cringe. Flip flops, sneakers, shorts and belly shirts, not to mention the screaming kids made it clear we were eating in the family restaurant. Definately no, they said so they sat us in the quietest corner of the main dining hall. Luckily by 8pm there were very few kids and it soon quieted down. Our waiter was attentive and explained we had 2 choices: eat from the buffet or order from the menu. The menu had most of the dishes we'd get off of the buffet, only the buffet was self serve and all you could eat whereas off the menu you got portions. By 8pm, everything in the buffet looked picked over (take a look before you decide) so we opted for the menu where at least food hadn't been sitting under the hot lamps. We could make 2 selections from the 8 appetizers and pick an entree & dessert. For appetizers, Hubby had the oxtail consomme which was only ok- just a beef broth really and the cheese plate which was 3 triangle slices of the SAME cheddar cheese and a cracker. Very disappointing. I had crab fritters which were terrible: lumps of chewy crabmeant and breading dropped on dollops of roumelade which looked like the thousand island dressing they served in the salad bar. My second appetizer was a salad they let me make from the buffet salad bar which was totally worth it b/c of the nice mix of greens and all the shrimp I could eat. I took a huge plate of salad and lots of bread (we got 1 roll each at the table). FYI- Focaccia was greasy and salty but really good. We'd basically given up but then entrees came and that's why I'm writing. I had the sea bass which came with baby asparagus and fingerling "marble" potatoes.Hubby had the stuffed pork loin which came with unglazed baby roasted carrots and finglerling mash. Both were equisite. The sea bass was done perfectly and was paired with a mustard sauce which dripped onto the baby asparagus and potatoes. The asparagus was about the smallest and most delicious I'd ever had- must have been the size of a pencil. The pork loin was also done well but order medium rare b/c it'll get to medium by the time it comes to the table. We ate every bite. For dessert we could've taken advantage of the dessert bar with chocolate fountain and build your own sundae but opted again to order off the menu. Dessert was the chocolate tort for me (very rich and delicious) and the reknown cheesecake. I tell you no lie that if it was lighter, it would've floated. We spoke to the server later and learned that just that week a new executive chef had taken over and this weekend was his first full week at the helm. He'd redone the entire menu and concentrated on locally grown produce inlcuding veggies grown in their own greenhouse (baby carrts and asparagus I suspect). I'd heard horrible things about the food from other reviewers but want to tell people to give this place another try. With the new chef and comments, I think they'll continue to present good food. Now all they need to do is make sure that if a couple shows up obviously dressed for 8pm reservations and have no kids, they get to eat in the formal dining room.

4  Thank sy-nj
Reviewed October 2, 2005

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Mohonk Mountain House and a friends wedding. The grounds, the lake, the exterior of the main house and the new spa are spectacular. However, the rooms are depressing, need a total refurbishing. The bathroom seemed to date from the original house. The room rates are expensive for what you get.

The dining experience was disappointing, except for the Granary BBQ, that was great fun. However, even the sides at the BBQ were underwhelming.

Someone from the Four Seasons Resorts needs to consult with them and tell them how to run a great resort, starting from remarkable rooms to compliment the outdoor views, to hiring professional staff who understand what service means.

Also, they recently added a "lounge" where alcohol is served. They need advice on this area also. For starters a bartender who engages the clients and the atmosphere needs to be inviting. Further, while no TV in the room is fine, a comfotable lounge with a flat screen TV and a snack area with beer and wine might bring this resort into the 21st century.

Additionally, if you're trying to get away for some private time, away from kids, this is not the place for you! Further, the elevator situation for a resort this size is appallling....2 elevators for over 240 rooms, you do the math when cheking in and out.

8  Thank sololawyer
Reviewed March 27, 2005

Took our family (mixed party of adults and children) to the Easter Buffet at Mohonk Mt. House - I think for the $$$ you spend, you may want to go elsewhere. The choices were very limited, and although they presented a gourmet menu at the table, once one actually got to the buffet it was a bit of a stretch to find things everyone really liked. The presentation was very nice and for the most part things were kept refilled and fresh.

There were no pasta choices, one potatoe choice (baby potatoes which were overdone), they did have a ham, turkey and lamb carving station - the addition of a roast beef would have been nice. The vegetable choice consisted of asparagus no other veggie choice was offered - they did have a considerable cheese and pate' table, however, we did not pay to over indulge in CHEESE! The cold selections were okay, a confusing mix of antipasta salad and a mixed fruit selection that was a bit too warm for my liking

As far as a child friendly menu, forget it. We were fortunate enough to have a wonderful waiter who understood the likes/dislikes of small children and kindly provided us with chicken fingers and french fries (NOT on the menue or on the buffet) for the children to enjoy.

The dessert table was very nice with the desserts being fresh and of high quality, coffee and tea were offered and we did not feel like we were being rushed out the door.

However, the main buffet leaves much to be desired, more choices are needed to make this type of expense worthwhile - $46 per adult and $28 per child. The hotel itself was EXTREMELY crowded as is fitting for a holiday weekend, so if you hate crowds, this is definetly NOT the place for you!

I have heard from other people that individual meals at the MMH during NON HOLIDAY times have been wonderful dining experiences, we will try again during a less busy time, however, I cannot say that their Easter Buffet was worth the $300 we paid.

8  Thank NycAlwaystraveling