“Mohonk Mountain House - A Palace in the Forest”

Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #4 of 26 things to do in New Paltz
Walden, NY
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Mohonk Mountain House - A Palace in the Forest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Mohonk is incredibly beautiful...a palace in the forest ... you can hike through the forest and see the beauty of the lakes, foliage and wildlife...especially in the fall...the colors are so vivid, it's a must for photographers. I have never stayed at Mohonk but those I know who have, said that it was peaceful and genteel...there was no television in the room (don't know if that's still true)...it is a very expensive place to stay and eat...but worth it, as I've been told.
I only took my family for a walk through the woods...wanted to have lunch there but reservations were needed...went to New Paltz to eat which was not far and a nice village to walk about. Looking forward to going back to Mohonk...but I'll make sure to make a reservation for lunch.

Visited October 2012

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Beautiful piece of the Catskills”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great hiking with awesome trails. Entry cost is hefty but go to the Preserve and its free to hike the trails. The House itself is something out of the annals of history. The thrift store has a little old fashioned counter where they sell drinks and rootbeer floats and such with old time candy. Fantastic views. You need a full day or two to see everything.

Visited July 2013
New York City
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Rock scrambling: The Labyrinth trail. Great experience, amazing views and wonderful picture opportunities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

A group of 13 of us came to Mohonk for rock scrambling. We rock scrambled "The Labyrinth." This was my first time rock scrambing and it was a great experience!

Mohonk is about 2 hours from NYC. Once you arrive, you are stopped at a gate to pay entry. They also give you a map and can answer any questions you have. Entry is $25 per person for a day pass. There are two single bathrooms in the parking lot. These are very clean. To get to the trail from the parking lot, you can either take a shuttle at the top of the steps, or you can walk a short trail. We opted to walk the trail and it was an easy walk. Maybe about 30 minutes? Once you reach the Mountain House and lake, there is a another restroom area you can use (just ask the person in the "Information" booth where it is. This booth is located right in front of the lake's deck.) The Labyrinth trail is just a quick walk from the Mountain House. Once you start The Labyrinth, it is a straight rock scramble. There really is no "hiking" in between rock scrambling. We stopped for photos so it took about 2 hours for us to complete the scramble to the top but you can do it faster if you didn't stop as much. The experience is great. It's definitely tough! I'm a novice and have never been scrambling before and I felt that there were some difficult parts which I would imagine would be hard for anyone without a helping hand. We came with a large group so it was easy to get a hand up or a push up when needed. Be careful, and wear comfortable shoes that grip because some areas can be dangerous. We saw a lot of adults on the trail (not so much kids or older folks) and you have to be somewhat fit to complete this trail. Definitely exercise caution. Most of the scramble is pretty safe but it is just big rocks with big crevices in between so you could hurt yourself. The trail is marked with red arrows so you know which direction to go. There were ladders in certain areas but not everywhere. You do have to squeeze through maybe two or three areas during the scramble and might be tough for some larger folks. As you get closer to the top, you get these stunning views. It is really beautiful and we got some great photos. Bring water but definitely try to pack light. A heavy backpack can really throw off your balance. We had lunch at the peak. There were a few tables but not many. I think there should have been a restroom area up at the peak as well but I didn't see any. The trail back down to the bottom was quick (maybe 15-20 minutes?) At the end of the day, we took a canoe out on the lake. It is $13 for 30 minutes.

Overall, a great experience and I can't wait to go back. Get ready for sore muscles the next day though!

Visited June 2013
12 Thank Stephanie Y
Stormville, New York
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Was a beautiful Place and has trails and outstanding views. Getting up to the hotel was a little drive but a very pretty drive.

Visited September 2012
Warsaw, Poland
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 192 helpful votes
“Need to come back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

My family have been coming for years, but this was my first visit after 20+ years away. Unfortunately, the trails were closed due to last remnants of snow, but will have to come back to experience fully next time around. The grounds are lovely and the hotel a historical charm.

Visited April 2013