“Real Italian food, casual & comfortable spot.”
Review of Il Gallo Giallo - CLOSED

Il Gallo Giallo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I've travelled through Italy, so I 'm amazed at the glop that most Americans think is Italian food. What I've had at several visits to Il Gallo Giallo is the kind of food that I've eaten, happily, in wine bars and tavernas in Italy. The chef here was making beet ravioli with pistachio butter a few months ago. This month it's sweet potato ravioli with Mostardo Di Cremona. I vote it the best ravioli I've eater outside of Italy. Real Porchetta is a delight and is not to be missed. An entire pork loin is seasoned and wrapped in a whole pork belly, slow roasted. They serve it as an entree or as a sandwich (their bread is locally-made, and tastes like real bread) Fresh pastas, including Caccio e Pepe as good as any in Rome. About 20 Italian wines by the glass, as well as Peroni on draft and a full bar. I'm a fan, and I'll be coming back again.

I laugh when I read some of the reviews written about this place: complaining about an Italian menu that names the dish in Italian and gives English descriptions? Really? An Italian Wine Bar that serves Italian wine and no California Cabernets? huh? Some people should just stick with Joe's Pizza.

3  Thank Barabajaggle
There are newer reviews for Il Gallo Giallo

Reviewed December 3, 2012

One of us ordered "Le Uova in Purgatorio" which arrived with extremely runny eggs and not particularly good puttanesca sauce (poor-quality olives and not very tasty). My porchetta sandwich (keep in mind that I do not normally eat meat) was way too greasy for me but I was told by one of my companions that pork belly is like that. Never again. The menu is way too heavy on cheese (more than one dish with "four cheeses" -- c'mon! -- and meat. Almost nothing for people who want to eat more healthily, just the usual grilled veggie sandwich. We've had better experiences at dinner but no more lunches for us.

Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Fabulous Italian food, outdoor seating and half price bottles of wine mid-week! What's not to like?! The salads are interesting like roasted raddiccio, and the menu offers small intense plates. The desserts always include a seasonal roasted fruit as well as heavier alternatives. The bathroom is amusing with lingerie - bras and panties - hanging inside. Perhaps to inspire après dessert dessert!

2  Thank Chonobuka
Reviewed October 4, 2012

...and when made a casual mention of it to the bartender, there was no "excuse me" or sense that they understood how nasty that was. OK. Move on, and hope the kitchen runs better. Unfortunately, it was just about the same as the oily martini. Untaste-able (missing) ingredients (i.e.: lemon in white beans), soggy 'fries', chewy shrimp. No thanks.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Out of 3 visits, one was outstanding (fresh chanterelles in fresh pasta), one was average and one was awful. The awful dish was the pasta "cacio e pepe." it contained so much black pepper that it was barely edible. What are they thinking? The salads are fine. The menu is oddly limited, and the pasta portions are ridiculously small. When the plate of pasta arrives you can hardly believe the size!