“When it's good, it's soo soo good”
Review of Mexicali Blue

Mexicali Blue
Ranked #10 of 99 Restaurants in New Paltz
Cuisines: Southwestern
Description: Mexican, tacos, burrittos, all fresh never frozen no cans
Description: Mexican, tacos, burrittos, all fresh never frozen no cans
New Paltz, New York, United States
“When it's good, it's soo soo good”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I eat at Mexicali approximately once a week, the food is delicious, fresh, healthy and easy to grab on the go/in a hurry. The diverse array of flavored hot sauces (really the same standard cayenne/vinegar base with various extracts-- ie coconut, blueberry, lime, etc) keep things interesting for the initiated regulars like me. Maybe because I eat there so much, and have a large sample size, I have to say that every now and then.. maybe 1/15 times, I get a burrito that just doesn't quite have it... Regardless, as a long time New Paltz resident, there is no place I would sooner recommend to someone looking for a filling, reasonable and delicious lunch/take-out dinner. Great staff too.

• Visited March 2013

Baltimore
“Mmmm, Fish Tacos!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stopped by to get lunch our way throught town. My husband loved his shrimp and steak burrito. It was a monster of a burrito and he finished the whole thing. He enjoyed the variety of sauces they have to add to your food. I had the salmon taco and it was amazing. I finished it so fast others made comments. It was a nice cut of salmon and the seasonings made it perfect. Do not expect to sit down there it is a tiny tiny place. We ended up sitting out front which would have been nicer had it not been snowing but that didn't ruin the experience at all.

• Visited March 2013
Long Island, New York
“Beautiful Burrito!”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Love, love, love this place! So fresh and delicious, if there is a line, WAIT, you will not be disappointed, and try all the sauces!!

Visited August 2012
New Paltz, New York
“Best tacos in New Paltz”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I'm really picky about tacos, and I favor the style I got used to when I lived in California: soft corn tortillas, some kind of meat filling like carne asada, a little salsa, a squeeze of lime, and not much else. Mexicali Blue has the best rendition of those available in New Paltz. The carne asada is nicely done; they use fresh corn tortillas, and the salsa's good. I like their fish tacos too. They use good grilled fish--not deep fried, like some fish tacos--and the traditional fixings (which are different for a fish taco than for other types: shredded cabbage and a sour-cream based sauce). The one thing I wish they did differently is give the tortillas a tiny smear of oil and a little bit of time on the grill before filling them: it makes them more flexible and less likely to fall apart, and gives them a nice toasted corn taste.

FYI, this place is microscopic. You come to it to get your tacos, eat them at one of the few spots at the counter, and be on your way. You can't really kick back and relax here.

Visited November 2012
Parker, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great chicken Burritos”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

If you like fish, chicken, or steak burritos... I mean a huge size, this is the place for you. I would say much better than any chipotle burrito. Small little place, so better for take out.

Visited June 2012